Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Interesting1894 - When Sights Matter
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 15, 2018 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

C

clarence said
Sometimes what makes a gun rare today are impractical, if not foolish, options chosen by the original buyer in that golden-age of gunmaking when anything a paying customer could dream up would be happily provided without consideration of whether it made good sense or not.  Appears this particular buyer was entertaining fantasies of making 500 yd shots, to think he needed such a target sight along with set triggers.  Within the realistic range limits of an (un-scoped) .30-30, a Lyman tang sight would have been the experienced hunter’s first choice. Does the condition of this gun suggest it ever got further than someone’s Park Avenue den or gun room?   

Clarence, I have a M1885 SS in 22 short. It has the standard Sporting rear sight and also a Mid Range vernier tang sight that letters to the rifle. In order to use the Mid Range, you would have to knock out the Sporting sight. It is in the way. I don’t see how the original buyer could even use the tang sight, although he ordered it with that sight and a Globe Front sight. I am sure that if I had ordered this rifle, it would not have had the Sporting sight and the bbl. would not have been cut for one.

This rifle is set up for accuracy shooting. It has a #3 26″ oct. bbl. in 22 short, with set trigger, and a Swiss buttplate. All options shown on a factory letter. Just cannot figure out the Sporting rear sight. It is correct for the shipping date in 1900.   Big Larry

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10851
February 15, 2018 - 10:55 pm

Larry,

I have seen (and even own a few) Model 1885 rifles that letter with the tang sight, yet the have the standard R.M. rear sight mounted in the barrel slot. My theory on this, is that the standard barrel mounted sight was used for close in shooting, and the tang sight for distance shooting. If you set the barrel sight for 25 – 50 yards, and then sight the rifle for 100 (or further) using the tang sight, the barrel mounted sight does not interfere with the tang sight view.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
February 15, 2018 - 11:31 pm

Big Larry said 

This rifle is set up for accuracy shooting. It has a #3 26″ oct. bbl. in 22 short, with set trigger, and a Swiss buttplate. All options shown on a factory letter. Just cannot figure out the Sporting rear sight. It is correct for the shipping date in 1900.   Big Larry  

At that time, about the only organized target shooting involving the Short was indoor gallery competition at 25 yds.; very popular, especially in big cities.  Wouldn’t need the Sporting sight for that.  Maybe the original buyer thought Winchester’s charge of $1 to omit the slot was unreasonable! 

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
February 16, 2018 - 1:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

That is a beautiful 1894 Gary. I would be proud to have that in my collection.  Special sights on a Winchester have always been a weak spot for me. Unfortunately with all the work we have done house the last couple years, having to buy a new car and another little one on the way, my collection is now down to 4 Model 1894s, lol. 

I always enjoy the beauty and lines of a high condition, special 1894 like yours.

Matt

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 16, 2018 - 3:14 am

Maverick said
Pdog 72

Does the rear of the bolt hit or touch the tang sight? Or does it come very close to hitting it? If, so how close?

Sincerely,

Maverick  

There is actually very good clearance. Its about 1/8 from the bolt to the staff. If you move the aperture down to the path of the bolt, its only about 1/16″ although it would never be down that low without losing your view all together. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 16, 2018 - 3:25 am

Thanks for all the compliments, fellows. The more I look at this one, the more I appreciate its condition and rarity. It’s definitely different from the rest of my collection.

Matt – You must have let quite a few go in the last couple years. I remember you had some of the best 1894 examples to be shared on this forum. I’m betting those last four are some awesome rifles. Its not about how many you have, but more importantly how much you enjoy the ones you do have. Its good to see you jumping back on the forum occasionally again. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
February 16, 2018 - 3:53 am

I’ve read this topic with great interest.  I too, love guns that letter with special sights.  But, before this topic disappears, I have to make a comment on this rifle.  I really like the 1894 model, although I only own one SRC in .38-55.   My interests lie primarily, with the model 66, 73 and 76.  However, yours is one of the prettiest 94’s I’ve seen in a long time.  It just has that special look that any hard core collector would die for.  Guns in this class are the ones that make collecting high condition Winchesters a passion.  How could anyone not simply love this rifle.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
February 16, 2018 - 6:15 am

I’ll fess up and admit the tang sights are what caught my eye on this beautiful and unusual rifle. A desire to shoot my old Winchesters is one reason I have a repurposed fishing tackle box full of small firearms parts. I have several small sealed and carefully labeled bags containing rear sights, elevators and tang screws taken off my shooters. In a nearby compartment are a few rear sight “blanks” to fill empty dovetails. In a larger tray tang sights, tang screws and receiver sights reside. I even have an assortment of Marble front sights of different heights and diameters, even a Lyman 17 or two.  On the top shelf is a card; “Out: L-R. In: R-L”. Wink  Presbyopia is a terrible thing for someone who enjoys shooting old Winchesters. Yes indeed, sights matter!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
February 19, 2018 - 2:38 am

pdog72 said
Thanks for all the compliments, fellows. The more I look at this one, the more I appreciate its condition and rarity. It’s definitely different from the rest of my collection.

Matt – You must have let quite a few go in the last couple years. I remember you had some of the best 1894 examples to be shared on this forum. I’m betting those last four are some awesome rifles. Its not about how many you have, but more importantly how much you enjoy the ones you do have. Its good to see you jumping back on the forum occasionally again.   

Hi Gary,

Yes, for the small collection I have had, I have had some nice rifles. I would like to say that the four left were among my best, but they are not. What I had to let go were my best, as it was those that brought my the most money for all the things we needed to do at home. That said, the ones I kept, while not the highest priced special guns, were special to me in other ways, and I enjoy them. I sure hope to be able to get back to where I was again, but life happens to us all at one point or another. 

He Yes, I know I have not posted on here in quite some time, I have just been so busy in my evenings with the little one. With another little girl due in May, it will only get busier, but I will try to do better!

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
February 19, 2018 - 12:31 pm

Gary,

That’s one nice model 1894. It’s in great condition. Thanks for sharing the nice pictures.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 10, 2018 - 4:56 pm

pdog72 said
Trying out a new camera on a snowy day to see if I can actually take some indoor pics that are presentable.

For your viewing pleasure – I’ve had this gun a couple years, but don’t think I’ve shared it on here. As you know, I usually steer towards the short rifles, but this particular rifle was just too cool to pass up. I walked by it at the Cody Show many times, and with my short rifle blinders on, I didn’t realize how interesting this rifle was. It somehow found a ride home with me that day.

This is a 26″ Semi-Deluxe, “I’ Pattern checked, round barrel 30 WCF rifle with double set triggers. The triggers are what caught my eye, but as I looked closer I found it very intriguing that an 1894 was sporting a Mid-Range Vernier on the tang and a Lyman combination on the front. It has a nice three-leaf express riding in the rear dovetail. I had Jesi run the number and was pleasantly surprised to see that it lettered perfectly.  How many 1894’s have any of you seen with a letterable Mid Range Vernier? I suppose they are out there, but it was zero for me.

I generally prefer rarity over condition, if I’m going to drop any kind of serious cash, but this gun has both. As for condition, this is about as good as it gets in my safe. This 26″ round barrel stands proud next to all the short rifles. It has some pretty good case colors on the lever and butt plate. The fire blue on the loading gate and triggers is quite appealing as well. Enjoy, my friends.

DSCN0010.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0003.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0007.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0004.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0006.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0005.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0008.JPGImage Enlarger  

This rifle is a delight – an apex – from every possible perspective.  A holy grail where every feature letters and it sits as it was shipped at the time of manufacture.  The condition is incredibly fantastic.  And to answer your question, I’ve never seen a M1894 with a letterable Mid Range Vernier.  Well, that’s not completely true as I’ve seen one now 🙂  Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
March 11, 2018 - 4:13 pm

I did enjoy that Gary!  What a beauty it is tool!  Thanks for posting the pics up!!!!!!!!

James

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
March 11, 2018 - 6:12 pm

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Its definitely one of the better guns I have, fairy rare, and good condition to boot. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
April 23, 2018 - 12:40 pm

Gary,

I just bought a model 1894 semi deluxe, sn 143826, bought it locally of all places, and remembered your post about your semi deluxe. Mine is similar to yours, where as the sights letter, but not with a mid-range vernier. Mine has double set triggers, is semi-deluxe, 32 w.s., Octagon Barrel, Lyman Front and Rear sights, Take-down, Sling and Swivel, and is a 24″ short Rifle. The 24″ barrel is not listed in the letter but it was repair and return February 6, 1905.

How is the set trigger suppose to work? I don’t think it’s working on this.  Is it easily adjusted or fixed? 

IMG_2245.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2248.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2252.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2260.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2251.JPGImage Enlarger

Thanks,

Al

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
April 23, 2018 - 5:02 pm

What happens when you cock the hammer and press forward on the rear trigger?  Does it click?

WACA Member
April 23, 2018 - 5:47 pm

steve004 said
What happens when you cock the hammer and press forward on the rear trigger?  Does it click?  

Steve,

It doesn’t click. It tries to engage, but nothing.  Bob told me to try backing the adjustment screw out some.  I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks,

Al

WACA Member
April 23, 2018 - 10:30 pm

Tried adjusting the trigger set screw inward and out, and still doesn’t click. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Al

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10851
April 24, 2018 - 1:47 am

Al,

It more than likely needs a deep cleaning.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
April 24, 2018 - 1:56 am

Bert H. said
Al,
It more than likely needs a deep cleaning.
Bert  

Bert,

It does appear dirty in there.  I’ll try that next. Hopefully that’s all it needs.

Thanks,

Al

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
April 24, 2018 - 2:04 am

tionesta1 said
Gary,

I just bought a model 1894 semi deluxe, sn 143826, bought it locally of all places, and remembered your post about your semi deluxe. Mine is similar to yours, where as the sights letter, but not with a mid-range vernier. Mine has double set triggers, is semi-deluxe, 32 w.s., Octagon Barrel, Lyman Front and Rear sights, Take-down, Sling and Swivel, and is a 24″ short Rifle. The 24″ barrel is not listed in the letter but it was repair and return February 6, 1905.

How is the set trigger suppose to work? I don’t think it’s working on this.  Is it easily adjusted or fixed? 

IMG_2245.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2248.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2252.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2260.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2251.JPGImage Enlarger

Thanks,

Al  

Very nice looking rifle, Al. Lots of great features, and 24″ as a bonus. Beautiful piece. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, win86guns, deerhunter, Blue Ridge Parson, TG
Guest(s) 180
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261