Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Curious 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 30, 2019 - 7:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Jeff-

I don’t feel the ledger is wrong often, pretty sure it’s a rare occurrence. Some guns were returned to Winchester for repair or modification; some were even returned from the warehouse before shipping. In those cases an “R&R” entry may show up on the ledger but little info is generally added so the purpose of the “Repair & Return” is usually speculation. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1583
March 30, 2019 - 8:07 pm

I’d pull the buttstock off the see if it had matching assembly numbers, if it was my gun.

Maverick

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
March 30, 2019 - 10:04 pm

deerhunter said

That is an 1886 extra lightweight model.  The ramp front sight is correct on the lightweights.  Lightweight models did not have a lot of meat on the barrel to accept a dovetailed front-sight, hence the ramp front sight.

Don  

Don,

It is not an “extra lightweight” model.  The Extra Lightweight Model 1886 rifles were made with a 22-inch barrel, shotgun butt w/hard rubber plate, and were in 45-70 caliber unless special ordered in a different caliber/cartridge.  The rifle is the pictures provided by the fellow asking the questions is a standard .33 WCF Sporting Rifle.  Many collectors incorrectly refer to the 33 WCF rifles as “Lightweights” or “Extra Lightweights”, but they were never cataloged by Winchester as such.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 30, 2019 - 10:09 pm

Eagle said
I think the call in sheet should mention the extra light barrel also should it not? It doesn’t look to me like that gun is very original. Hope the OP didn’t buy it as such.   

That rifle does not have an “extra light” barrel.  It has the standard barrel for a 33 WCF rifle, and as such, nothing was recorded in the ledger for it.

Bert

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 30, 2019 - 10:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said
Roger, despite having collected and shot rifles for the past 40 years I am still learning about what constitutes “original” especially in the the world of Winchesters.  My understanding is that these Cody letters can often have errors with respect to how a rifle left the factory. I also wonder if back then someone could return a rifle to the factory for modification?  -Jeff  

Jeff,

While there are “errors” in the original factory ledgers, I would not characterize the occurence as “often”.  In my experience (having worked as a volunteer in the CFM records office in past years), the ledger entries in the various Winchester model records are accurate more than 99% of the time.  Yes, I have found what appear to be erroneously recorded ledger entries, but it did not happen “often” or with any regular frequency.

Yes, any Winchester could have been returned to the factory for modification, but in the vast number of instances where that happened, and “R&R” entry with a work order number would have been added to the ledger entry.

Bert

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
March 30, 2019 - 10:58 pm

You can always spot a extra light weight from where the factory removed unnecessary metal to save weight and has the added bonus of quickly converting to a trapper. Laugh

Bob

IMG_1918.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1922.JPGImage Enlarger 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 31, 2019 - 12:30 am

[email protected] said
Roger, despite having collected and shot rifles for the past 40 years I am still learning about what constitutes “original” especially in the the world of Winchesters.  My understanding is that these Cody letters can often have errors with respect to how a rifle left the factory. I also wonder if back then someone could return a rifle to the factory for modification?  -Jeff  

I am sure there were Factory Letter errors, but not the norm.  If a gun went back for repairs or modifications there should be a repair noted in the ledgers.  The problem is that what actually got done is almost always not noted.  I believe there were “work orders” written but I don’t believe these exist any longer?

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1912
March 31, 2019 - 4:41 pm

Bert H. said

Don,

It is not an “extra lightweight” model.  The Extra Lightweight Model 1886 rifles were made with a 22-inch barrel, shotgun butt w/hard rubber plate, and were in 45-70 caliber unless special ordered in a different caliber/cartridge.  The rifle is the pictures provided by the fellow asking the questions is a standard .33 WCF Sporting Rifle.  Many collectors incorrectly refer to the 33 WCF rifles as “Lightweights” or “Extra Lightweights”, but they were never cataloged by Winchester as such.

Bert  

Thanks for setting me straight Bert.  I mistakenly thought the ramp front sight on the 1886’s was an indicator of a lightweight barrel.

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 31, 2019 - 5:39 pm

deerhunter said

Thanks for setting me straight Bert.  I mistakenly thought the ramp front sight on the 1886’s was an indicator of a lightweight barrel.

Don  

Don,

All of the 33 WCF rifle barrels were made with the same ramp style front sight base, and with rare exception, they were all 24-inches in length (I have actually seen a small number with barrel lengths less than the standard length, but they are rare).  Larry once owned one that was truly an Extra Lightweight (and lettered as such) that had a 22-inch barrel.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
March 31, 2019 - 6:25 pm

Bert, I owned two Lightweight or Extra Lightweight 86’s, I don’t know which but the butt stock was hollowed out under the butt plate. I was told “they” did it for balance. It made a huge secret compartment, is that something Winchester did or Bubba? T/R

Kingston, WA
Admin
April 1, 2019 - 1:47 am

TR said
 Bert, I owned two Lightweight or Extra Lightweight 86’s, I don’t know which but the butt stock was hollowed out under the butt plate. I was told “they” did it for balance. It made a huge secret compartment, is that something Winchester did or Bubba? T/R  

Winchester made Extra Lightweight Model 1886 rifles, and they have a large hole bored in the center of the butt stock (under the hard rubber butt plate) to reduce the overall weight of the rifle.  Again, there was no such thing as a “Lightweight” Model 1886 rifle.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
April 1, 2019 - 12:30 pm

Bert, Thanks for the information. T/R

WACA Member
April 4, 2019 - 3:47 am

1873man said
You can always spot a extra light weight from where the factory removed unnecessary metal to save weight and has the added bonus of quickly converting to a trapper. Laugh

Bob

IMG_1918.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1922.JPGImage Enlarger   

Well then! Does she group well? I’d imagine she kicks like a Mule being so light!

Maverick

P.S. Nice CUTAWAY! I’m JELLY.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 4, 2019 - 3:56 am

Its made for a lefty. You don’t want to fire it right handed.

I’m taking it to Tulsa this weekend.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
April 4, 2019 - 1:58 pm