Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Antique Winchester 1892 rifle in .25 - 20 WCF with several special order features.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 15, 2022 - 3:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

steve004 said
Am I correct that despite the many returns, the rifle remains as it was when originally shipped?  

Yes.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5050
January 15, 2022 - 4:31 am

Chuck said
I have used a 1/4″ square of shim stock to tighten some sights.  It’s trial and error to get it in the right spot so it tightens where you want it.  

When a sight has been driven out in the wrong direction I’ve been able to remedy this by GENTLY peening the top edges of the dovetail back down to where they will hold a sight properly. When the sight is too small for the dovetail I’ve made good use of a small patch of ordinary adhesive (Scotch) tape on the bottom of the sight…but I’ve never had to resort to that on a Winchester.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10845
January 15, 2022 - 5:00 am

mrcvs said

How did you determine the others were used for salesman “exhibition” shows?  Is there a record of this somewhere?

It seems like the most logical explanation.  

There are brief notes or comments in the Remarks section “NY Ex”, “PHIL Ex” etc.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1097
January 15, 2022 - 1:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Out of curiosity what is Your description for the configuration of this rifle with 8 extra factory features, “deluxe or semi-deluxe”.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
January 15, 2022 - 2:01 pm

Henry Mero said
Out of curiosity what is Your description for the configuration of this rifle with 8 extra factory features, “deluxe or semi-deluxe”.  

I prefer not to categorize as deluxe or semi deluxe as the factory did not categorize as such and it also involves too many variables.  Also, I never counted the number of extra features as that could be open to interpretation as well.

It’s best just to describe a rifle as to what it contains and the interpretation of a feature as “extra” or the interpretation of a rifle as being “deluxe” or “semi deluxe”, being subjective in itself, can be determined, or avoided, by each individual.

Now, on the other hand, if I was trying to purchase this rifle, I might describe it as ordinary, possibly semi deluxe; if I wanted to sell it, I would definitely describe it as deluxe, and then some…

Pa.
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
January 16, 2022 - 2:48 am

Beautiful rifle and caliber. I really like .25-20s.

Does “combination sight” mean the gun has 3 sights or is that only describing the front sight?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, 1ned1, tionesta1, Mark Douglas, Antonio, Rick C
Guest(s) 166
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260