Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
My 3rd Model shooter 1873
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
August 26, 2013 - 7:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’d be interested to find out how that old ’73 shot. What sort of ammo did you use, and what range and what size were your groups? I have an old ’73 in 44 WCF as well and very much enjoy shooting it. I plan to hunt Whitetail deer with it this fall.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
August 26, 2013 - 7:56 pm

What is the problem with the forearm? It does look like its been swapped but that all I can see?

Your front sight is too tall for the gun, that is why the rear sight is jacked up all the way.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
August 27, 2013 - 3:08 am

1873man said
What is the problem with the forearm? It does look like its been swapped but that all I can see?

Your front sight is too tall for the gun, that is why the rear sight is jacked up all the way.

Bob

It did not have a forearm when I got it, that is the replacement.

Its funny you posted about the sights, it shot waaayyyy too low which I knew was a product of the front sight but did not have another to put on it when I shot it (I picked it up from the smith and took it to the range). Probably as you were typing about the sights I was in the basement changing the front to a Lyman about half that height.

WACA Guest
August 27, 2013 - 3:12 am

Win38-55 said
I’d be interested to find out how that old ’73 shot. What sort of ammo did you use, and what range and what size were your groups? I have an old ’73 in 44 WCF as well and very much enjoy shooting it. I plan to hunt Whitetail deer with it this fall.

I was using OLD Remington ammo. Since it was shooting so low I did not get a good handle on group size and just shot some bottles with it using some good old Kentucky holdover. I only shot 14 rounds because the first ten were fine but the last four split the case. I talked to my smith and he wanted me to try some ammo that was not so old to see if it is still splitting cases.

I had never shot a 73 before and it was pretty cool.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
August 27, 2013 - 4:47 am

Finding a forearm that matches finish , color and grain is very hard to do unless your taking the a set of wood off another gun. Most forearms that you see for sale will have some problems and then they may not match physically since barrels vary in size even on guns from the same era.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
August 27, 2013 - 5:26 am

Agreed, I think they did a great job matching up a replacement. Could maybe use a little more gloss.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
August 27, 2013 - 7:19 am

78CJ said
I was using OLD Remington ammo. … I only shot 14 rounds because the first ten were fine but the last four split the case.

Odd that the first 10 worked fine but the next 4 were splitting the case. You have to be careful of old 44-40 ammo. Winchester and other companies produced a ‘Winchester High Velocity’ (W.H.V.) version of 44 WCF to be used only in the Model 92. It fired a 200 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,565 fps. The standard load was 200 grains at 1,300 fps. the W.H.V. load has a much higher pressure and could possibly bulge the chamber of a Model 1873 and the cases would start splitting. They might be more difficult to extract as a result. Hopefully, this was not the case with your old Remington ammo. Have you examined the cases carefully to see if their dimensions are different from the non-split ones? It might be just that the brass has become very brittle.

The other thing you have to be careful of is a box of old ammo might actually be reloads that look like factory, or Remington ‘Hi Speed’ ammo that has wound up in an old Remington box that was not marked ‘Hi Speed’. A fellow gave me an old Remington Box of 32 W.C.F. (32-20) that was marked ‘Hi Speed’ (115 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,635 fps as opposed to the normal 115 grain bullet at 1,225 fps). Curious to test the advertised velocity, I fired several over the chronograph and found they had an average muzzle velocity of around 1,150 fps …… obviously they were not the ‘Hi Speed’ version but reloads or maybe the standard loads in a ‘Hi Speed’ box. So it could be possible that an old box of Remington ammo for the 44-40 might not be labelled ‘Hi Speed’ but contain some ‘Hi Speed’ ammo that someone put there. Either way, the Remington ‘Hi Speed’ or the Winchester ‘W.H.V.’ ammo for the 44 WCF should never be used in a ’73.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
August 27, 2013 - 7:20 am

What I noticed is its a little pale compared to the stock.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 192
August 28, 2013 - 8:09 pm

78CJ,
You might try something like Old English Furniture Polish on the forearm. Use the dark walnut color. It has a coloring agent for covering scratches. I believe it will darken it slightly and give it a little gloss.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Jeremy P, SureShot
Guest(s) 189
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250