Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 extra light 24-inch short rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 14, 2022 - 1:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

An 1894 with full octagon extra light barrel seems pretty hard to come by, so when I found this one I just had to have it.  Paired up with a full magazine and set trigger, it really caught my eye.  I probably paid a bit too much for it, but I’d rather just think I bought it a little too soon…

Gary–do you have this one in your survey?

P1070940.JPGImage EnlargerP1070941.JPGImage EnlargerP1070943.JPGImage EnlargerP1070944.JPGImage EnlargerP1070947.JPGImage EnlargerP1070948.JPGImage EnlargerP1070950.JPGImage EnlargerP1070951.JPGImage EnlargerP1070955.JPGImage EnlargerP1070957.JPGImage EnlargerP1070959.JPGImage Enlarger

Don

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 804
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 14, 2022 - 3:24 am

Please pardon my out dated vernacular, but that is a ‘bitchen’ short rifle.  I like it!  Congratulations on a fine piece.  RDB

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 14, 2022 - 5:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Don, 

That is a very unique rifle and basically one of a kind in my survey, There’s no doubt it’s a rare piece.  Nice looking condition as well. Geez, I’m jealous, and the term “Bitchen” is appropriate. Hadn’t heard that since high school Smile.

Thanks for sharing, I love it! (Added it to the survey). 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
February 14, 2022 - 5:52 am

Very nice original and correct 94 – the set trigger is a really nice feature. I am surprised this one wasn’t tucked away by some collector by now. You did not buy it too soon, you bought it just in time, before it was gone!

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:29 am

pdog72 said
Don, 

That is a very unique rifle and basically one of a kind in my survey, There’s no doubt it’s a rare piece.  Nice looking condition as well. Geez, I’m jealous, and the term “Bitchen” is appropriate. Hadn’t heard that since high school Smile.

Thanks for sharing, I love it! (Added it to the survey).   

Thanks Gary. Sounds like this rifle is more rare than I originally thought. According to your survey, what is the most driving feature contributing to its rarity? Is it the barrel length, octagon extra light barrel, set trigger, or simply just all of those features combined?  Just wondering which feature contributes the most to its rarity.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:36 am

Burt Humphrey said
Very nice original and correct 94 – the set trigger is a really nice feature. I am surprised this one wasn’t tucked away by some collector by now. You did not buy it too soon, you bought it just in time, before it was gone!  

Thanks Burt.  After some research, it was last sold by Morphy’s in 2007.  I probably could have bought a decent 1894 deluxe for not much more money, but I was drawn to the extra light octagon pencil barrel on this one.  The set trigger was just a nice added bonus.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:43 am

I think the hardest attribute to come by is the ELW octagon barrel in any length. Then set triggers on 1894s aren’t very common. The 22″ barrels take up the largest portion of the survey so 24″ helps it. Add in the TD, sights that letter etc. and it’s just the full package. Just curious, was that rifle online? 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:54 am

pdog72 said
I think the hardest attribute to come by is the ELW octagon barrel in any length. Then set triggers on 1894s aren’t very common. The 22″ barrels take up the largest portion of the survey so 24″ helps it. Add in the TD, sights that letter etc. and it’s just the full package. Just curious, was that rifle online?   

Thanks Gary.  Leroy Merz had this gun, so that’s the reason I thought I may have “bought it a little too soon”, but when and where am I going to find another…? I did negotiate a bit off his asking price, but it was still up there.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 7:09 am

Gary,

Leroy Merz also has this one (sale pending). It’s also a rare piece, but I just don’t care much for the condition of the wood on this one. Also, no mention of checkering in the Cody letter. Very cool configuration though. Do you have this one in your survey?

https://www.merzantiques.com/product/w3084-winchester-model-94-pencil-barrel-take-down-rifle-in-caliber-m/

Don

WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 8:08 am

deerhunter said
Gary,

Leroy Merz also has this one (sale pending). It’s also a rare piece, but I just don’t care much for the condition of the wood on this one. Also, no mention of checkering in the Cody letter. Very cool configuration though. Do you have this one in your survey?

https://www.merzantiques.com/product/w3084-winchester-model-94-pencil-barrel-take-down-rifle-in-caliber-m/

Don  

Don – no doubt you got the better gun – by far in my opinion. The I checkering on the gun looks right in the photos but not having it in the records would haunt you – it would always be an excuse gun for which you had to provide an explanation. I have always been a condition guy but the more I see of faked and re-done guns anymore I am really starting to appreciate guns like the one you bought.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
February 14, 2022 - 1:07 pm

Don,

That’s a nice rifle. I would like to find one with the extra light octagon barrel. Really neat.

Al

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 3:53 pm

Burt Humphrey said

Don – no doubt you got the better gun – by far in my opinion. The I checkering on the gun looks right in the photos but not having it in the records would haunt you – it would always be an excuse gun for which you had to provide an explanation. I have always been a condition guy but the more I see of faked and re-done guns anymore I am really starting to appreciate guns like the one you bought.  

Thanks Burt.  I think I chose the better gun as well.  The main thing that bothers me about the wood on the other gun (other than not lettering with checkering) is the checkering looks sanded (or perhaps severely worn) and then refinished with some sort of glossy lacquer.  I would be fine with honest wear, but that shiny added finish look just turns me off.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 3:55 pm

tionesta1 said
Don,

That’s a nice rifle. I would like to find one with the extra light octagon barrel. Really neat.

Al  

Thanks Al.  I had been looking for quite some time and finally found one.  I definitely had to pay the price, but to me it was worth it.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 4:38 pm

deerhunter said
Gary,

Don  

I didn’t have that one either. Interesting there’s two of them on his site at the same time. I think he has another one that’s a full deluxe that’s been on there for many, many years as well. 

I agree with Burt. The one you picked is a stellar example. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:14 pm

pdog72 said

I didn’t have that one either. Interesting there’s two of them on his site at the same time. I think he has another one that’s a full deluxe that’s been on there for many, many years as well. 

I agree with Burt. The one you picked is a stellar example.   

The Merz H-checkered gun has been around a long time – it is an octagon barrel gun but seriously lacks condition and is too late to letter. From the photos the Merz deluxe gun appears to be right but it would not be for me. It is one of those guns where my advice would be to spend more money and hold out for a better gun -but, I have personally done that a couple of times with the better gun at a fair price just never showing up. We all know the good stuff is rapidly disappearing as the guns are added to collections and a high condition deluxe or standard grade 94 with a short octagon barrel is pretty elusive. I am not sure how Merz determines his deluxe gun has 98% barrel and magazine blue.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 6:44 pm

Burt Humphrey said

The Merz H-checkered gun has been around a long time – it is an octagon barrel gun but seriously lacks condition and is too late to letter. From the photos the Merz deluxe gun appears to be right but it would not be for me. It is one of those guns where my advice would be to spend more money and hold out for a better gun -but, I have personally done that a couple of times with the better gun at a fair price just never showing up. We all know the good stuff is rapidly disappearing as the guns are added to collections and a high condition deluxe or standard grade 94 with a short octagon barrel is pretty elusive. I am not sure how Merz determines his deluxe gun has 98% barrel and magazine blue.  

Burt

I agree with your assessment of the deluxe gun.  It’s a nice gun and I certainly wouldn’t mind owning it, but the price would need to drop a few grand for me to make that happen.  The main negative deciding factor for me is that ugly spot of pitting on the barrel, but I admit I’m a condition freak.

Don

WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 7:00 pm

deerhunter said

Burt

I agree with your assessment of the deluxe gun.  It’s a nice gun and I certainly wouldn’t mind owning it, but the price would need to drop a few grand for me to make that happen.  The main negative deciding factor for me is that ugly spot of pitting on the barrel, but I admit I’m a condition freak.

Don  

Don – not a short or pencil barrel but it has condition.

94del8-1.JPGImage Enlarger94del7.JPGImage Enlarger94del6.JPGImage Enlarger94del5.JPGImage Enlarger94del4.JPGImage Enlarger94del3-1.JPGImage Enlarger94del2.JPGImage Enlarger94del1.JPGImage Enlarger94ltr.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 14, 2022 - 8:19 pm

Wow.  Absolutely gorgeous rifle Burt.  Love the caliber too.  Thanks for sharing.

Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., deerhunter, Zebulon, Michael McMurray
Guest(s) 169
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322