Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 checkering
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 3, 2019 - 12:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bill Brown said
I am looking at a Winchester 1894 Deluxe, Nickel Steel Barrel, chambered in .25-35 WCF. Serial #285060 dates it to 1903 It has a 24″ Octagon barrel, Lyman flip up rear peep sight, crescent metal butt plate. My question is were all deluxe models checkered? This one is not. According to a Winchester catalog it appears it was an option in 1917.

Thanks for any help

PS any thoughts on value?  

Bill,

For comparison this is a deluxe, or a Fancy Sporting Rifle by Winchester’s nomenclature.  Obviously the differences are obvious!  🙂

Michael

IMG_9167.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_9168.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_9169.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_9172.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_9173.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

RickC
WACA Guest
May 19, 2020 - 7:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
To add some clarity to this topic, per the April 1900 catalog (No. 65) Winchester manufactured the following variations of the Model 1894;

1.  Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip stock, plain walnut, crescent butt.

2.  Take Down Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip stock, plain walnut, crescent butt.

3.  Fancy Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half Magazine, fancy walnut checked pistol grip stock and forearm (3X, H-pattern), crescent butt.

4.  Take Down Fancy Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, fancy walnut checked pistol grip stock and forearm (3X, H-pattern), crescent butt.

5.  Extra Light Weight Rifle, 26-inch or under round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip not checked stock, plain walnut, shotgun butt with hard rubber plate.

6.  Extra Light Weight Take Down Rifle, 26-inch or under round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip not checked stock, plain walnut, shotgun butt with hard rubber plate.

7.  Carbine, 20-inch round barrel, Full or Half magazine,  sling ring.

Any other features found that are found on the above listed variations were “special order”.  Winchester never used the terms “deluxe” or “semi-deluxe”.

In regards to Ted’s rifle, it is a Sporting Rifle with just three special order features (the set trigger, plain pistol grip, and shotgun butt).  It is not a “deluxe” rifle.

Bert  

Just found this thread & great information & facts by Bert as well as the explanation by Clarence.
Can anyone advise if 1x & 2x wood is just another collector term as only 3x is mentioned here. Also wondering if there was a special order finish?

AG

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 19, 2020 - 1:47 pm

AG said

Just found this thread & great information & facts by Bert as well as the explanation by Clarence.
Can anyone advise if 1x & 2x wood is just another collector term as only 3x is mentioned here. Also wondering if there was a special order finish?

AG  

The wood X rating is in the ledger but only on some of the guns ordered with fancy wood. If  gun was a deluxe and would have fancy wood as a standard feature the wood rating wasn’t always noted.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
May 19, 2020 - 2:25 pm

The term “1X”, “2X”, “3X”, and very rarely “4X” comes from the number of Xs stamped on the inside edge of the lower tang.  The tangs were nearly always marked with “X”, “XX”, or “XXX” to denote the graded quality of the wood.  Winchester very seldom ever noted the specific grade of the wood in the factory ledger records.  3X wood was “standard” on the Fancy Sporting Rifles, though 2X wood was often used.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
May 19, 2020 - 5:15 pm

I recently looked at an 1892 standard rifle with take down.  It had what I would call 1-2X wood.  I could not pull the wood to check the tang.  The gun lettered but did not mention anything about upgraded wood.  Sometimes when you ordered a gun with a special feature they would pick out a nicer piece of wood too. 

I have had a couple like this. None had X’s on the lower tang but definitely had fancier wood.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
May 19, 2020 - 10:51 pm

Bert H. said
The term “1X”, “2X”, “3X”, and very rarely “4X” comes from the number of Xs stamped on the inside edge of the lower tang.  The tangs were nearly always marked with “X”, “XX”, or “XXX” to denote the graded quality of the wood.  Winchester very seldom ever noted the specific grade of the wood in the factory ledger records.  3X wood was “standard” on the Fancy Sporting Rifles, though 2X wood was often used.

Bert  

I have a 95 with 2 X’s on the tang along with numbers. It has checkered wood, but sadly most of the checkering has been sanded off. 

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 20, 2020 - 12:39 am

More often than X ratings for the wood in the ledger I see they state “Fancy”

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 20, 2020 - 12:58 am

1873man said
More often than X ratings for the wood in the ledger I see they state “Fancy”

Bob  

I see the same thing in the Model 1885 records, and it usually indicates a minimum of 3X wood.  That stated, it is only infrequently noted in the ledger records.  The large majority of the Special Sporting Rifles (the term Winchester used), Special Single Shot Rifles, and Schuetzen Rifles do not have anything noted in the records, as fancy (3X) wood was standard for those variations.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 40
May 20, 2020 - 1:36 am

I think your gun was made in 1905, not 1903. The photos show it has the Winchester proof symbols which puts it no older than July 1905. Caution, I have been wrong before.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 20, 2020 - 1:52 am

Bert,

I agree with that, the vast majority of the 73’s that are considered deluxes that would have fancy wood don’t state a wood grade.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

RickC
WACA Guest
May 20, 2020 - 1:54 am

I had an 86 that stated “X stock” in the letter. It was a nicer grain & finish then any of my other rifles.

AG

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
May 20, 2020 - 5:58 am

Bert H. said

To add some clarity to this topic, per the April 1900 catalog (No. 65) Winchester manufactured the following variations of the Model 1894;

1.  Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip stock, plain walnut, crescent butt.

2.  Take Down Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip stock, plain walnut, crescent butt.

3.  Fancy Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half Magazine, fancy walnut checked pistol grip stock and forearm (3X, H-pattern), crescent butt.

4.  Take Down Fancy Sporting Rifle, 26-inch round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, fancy walnut checked pistol grip stock and forearm (3X, H-pattern), crescent butt.

5.  Extra Light Weight Rifle, 26-inch or under round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip not checked stock, plain walnut, shotgun butt with hard rubber plate.

6.  Extra Light Weight Take Down Rifle, 26-inch or under round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, Full or Half magazine, straight grip not checked stock, plain walnut, shotgun butt with hard rubber plate.

7.  Carbine, 20-inch round barrel, Full or Half magazine,  sling ring.

Any other features found that are found on the above listed variations were “special order”.  Winchester never used the terms “deluxe” or “semi-deluxe”.

In regards to Ted’s rifle, it is a Sporting Rifle with just three special order features (the set trigger, plain pistol grip, and shotgun butt).  It is not a “deluxe” rifle.

Bert, what would this fall under, lots of extra’s, but plain PG.94-TD.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
May 20, 2020 - 1:52 pm

Tony,

Your Model 1894 is a standard Take Down Rifle with a special order 24-inch barrel and a pistol grip stock  The sights were also special ordered.

Bert

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 25, 2020 - 12:00 am

[email protected] said
I think your gun was made in 1905, not 1903. The photos show it has the Winchester proof symbols which puts it no older than July 1905. Caution, I have been wrong before.  

Have a similar situation. Some receivers, particularly those destined for special riles, occasionally sat in a bin for a few years before being built into rifles. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: JWA, clarence, Erin Grivicich, Gulfcoastcowboy
Guest(s) 194
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323