Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 in 45-90
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 30, 2023 - 6:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Aussie Chris said
Glad you can return it Don. The barrel address stands out to me. Look at it closely, the letter ‘Y’ especially. And the Cal stamp looks a bit funky

Correct – look at the C. in the caliber stamp – this was not done with a Winchester factory stamp.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
January 30, 2023 - 6:48 pm

My first glance at Don’s pictures made it appear to be an honest gun, but when you guys started pointing out the flaws, I went back and studied them more closely, as well as looking at Don’t second group of pictures, and I can see what you mean.  That’s why I’m happy to be a member here. I have learned so much from the experts.

One other comment concerning the gun. In Don’s first group of pictures, the nicks on the right side of the magazine tube towards the muzzle appear to have bluing in them. 

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
January 30, 2023 - 7:54 pm

tionesta1 said
My first glance at Don’s pictures made it appear to be an honest gun, but when you guys started pointing out the flaws, I went back and studied them more closely, as well as looking at Don’t second group of pictures, and I can see what you mean.  That’s why I’m happy to be a member here. I have learned so much from the experts.

One other comment concerning the gun. In Don’s first group of pictures, the nicks on the right side of the magazine tube towards the muzzle appear to have bluing in them. 

Al  

Admittedly, I glanced at this rifle quickly and noted it looked good and the wood was proud.  There were obvious signs of problems, such as wood to metal fit, and I missed that.

This thread is a great learning experience.  Now, maybe some of the flaws would be more obvious with gun in hand.  Also, photographs on a monitor are easier to evaluate than on a phone.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 31, 2023 - 2:47 am

Wow, this thread went south in a hurry. Some very valid observations noted by several of you. It’s interesting how we look at pictures differently when the intent is to just take a quick look and be happy for the individual sharing a new rifle vs. really digging deep as if we were looking to buy it, two completely different perspectives, and rightly so. In this case, it was certainly in the best interest of the buyer to hear all of the feedback, even if negative. I admit, I really don’t look that close unless the post is actually soliciting evaluation. As others have noted, some great discussion and education can be gained from some of these threads, although painful sometimes. Best of luck Don, and I hope it all works out for you. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 31, 2023 - 3:31 am

Good eye, gents. The wood looked a little odd to me but I liked it. Hell, I still like it. Live and learn. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
January 31, 2023 - 9:43 am

Hmmm….look what I found that sold at Ward’s Auction a couple months ago:

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/auction/90/viewitem.php?item=4031

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
January 31, 2023 - 11:19 am

deerhunter said

Doesn’t say much for their expertise or evaluators!

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
January 31, 2023 - 1:48 pm

pdog72 said
Wow, this thread went south in a hurry. Some very valid observations noted by several of you. It’s interesting how we look at pictures differently when the intent is to just take a quick look and be happy for the individual sharing a new rifle vs. really digging deep as if we were looking to buy it, two completely different perspectives, and rightly so. In this case, it was certainly in the best interest of the buyer to hear all of the feedback, even if negative. I admit, I really don’t look that close unless the post is actually soliciting evaluation. As others have noted, some great discussion and education can be gained from some of these threads, although painful sometimes. Best of luck Don, and I hope it all works out for you. 

Well said.  Here you have an experienced collector and I was happy for his find.  Glanced at the photographs quickly and it looked good.  Many of my posts can be negative.  And so I tried to be positive for once.

The sharp eye of others revealed the red flags that were hidden in plain sight.

A great thread!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 31, 2023 - 2:57 pm

It’s human nature to shoot the bearer of bad news. My hats off to Don for wanting to know what he had and Jeremy for the keen eye, then breaking the news in a tactful manor.

There has been times I have found myself standing in front of a serious collection only to see a section of minty guns. I know that’s where his big mistakes will be. When he grabs one off the rack and hands it to me, I hope it’s original. If it’s not how do you handle it? It can end a friendship. 

Restored guns are easy to buy and hard to sell. T/R 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
January 31, 2023 - 3:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

RickC said

deerhunter said

Doesn’t say much for their expertise or evaluators!

The ONLY “expertise” that counts in the auction racket is skill in the generation of jive BS, though this display of it is amateurish compared to the masterpiece of mendacity exhibited in the “refreshed 1890” thread. 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 2, 2023 - 1:20 am

The 1886 went back to where it came from today.  All is good!  Just keep a watchful eye for it.  It’s bound to reappear….

Thanks again everyone for saving my a$$ on this one!

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
February 2, 2023 - 9:30 pm

deerhunter said
The 1886 went back to where it came from today.  All is good!  Just keep a watchful eye for it.  It’s bound to reappear….

Don

At least you ended up with that super-nice M1894 – that is a prize Cool

WACA Member
February 2, 2023 - 9:41 pm

deerhunter said

I’m confused.  They state the auction has ended, but also state it ends 02/24/23.  Have I missed a big block of time?  Like a very long Lost Weekend?

Time left Auction has ended

Started 2022-11-03 00:00:00    
Ended 2023-02-24 19:01:00
WACA Member
February 2, 2023 - 9:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

deerhunter said
Seller had it sold to someone else, but that buyer backed out at the last minute.  So it came home with me yesterday!

Don

P1080218.JPGImage EnlargerP1080219.JPGImage EnlargerP1080222.JPGImage EnlargerP1080225.JPGImage EnlargerP1080227.JPGImage EnlargerP1080228.JPGImage EnlargerP1080229.JPGImage EnlargerP1080231.JPGImage EnlargerP1080234.JPGImage EnlargerP1080235.JPGImage EnlargerP1080236.JPGImage EnlargerP1080237.JPGImage EnlargerP1080239.JPGImage EnlargerP1080240.JPGImage EnlargerP1080243.JPGImage Enlarger

I suspect we now know whey the fellow he had it sold previously backed out.  I suspect the person who bought this at Wards, and then tried to sell it again – must have believed it was original given he paid about $10k for it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 2, 2023 - 11:26 pm

steve004 said

The current Wards February auction has started and will end on the 24th.

WACA Member
February 2, 2023 - 11:37 pm

Chuck said

steve004 said

The current Wards February auction has started and will end on the 24th.

Yes, this .45-90 is scheduled to end on the 24th.  Yet, it is listed as ended – 12 bidders – with a final price of $9500.  It states is ended on 2/24.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 3, 2023 - 12:53 am

steve004 said

deerhunter said

Don

At least you ended up with that super-nice M1894 – that is a prize Cool

Thanks Steve.  I think it’s my new favorite.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 4, 2023 - 10:51 pm

There may have been a problem with their website.  A couple days ago I tried to look at the guns. There were no guns listed when I tried to look.  I got a message that the 611 guns would be posted on a specific date that I have forgotten by now. 

Is the gun still there?

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 7, 2023 - 5:37 pm

Hi all,

The refinished 1886 in 45-90 (serial # 53757) has raised its ugly head again.  Buyer beware…

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/auction/A92/viewitem.php?item=4032

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 64
May 8, 2023 - 2:11 pm

Hi Guys,

What would a rifle like that refinished be worth?  If the rifle was advertised as “refinished” as opposed to original would the starting price at Wards be warranted? I assume in refinished the rifle would be a shooter’s grade? 

Thanks,

Rob

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 233
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600