Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Feedback Winchester Collector Winter 2020 Issue
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
CANADA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 127
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 18, 2020 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed Bert Hartmans’ article “Tips On Buying An Old Winchester Rifle Part 1” in the Winter 2020 Issue.

Articles of this nature are very helpful and educational, further the quality of the photo’s and the tutorial narrative content are very good.

I’m always interested in learning more about Old Winchesters and I’m looking forward to Part 2.

Special thanks to Bert H. for taking the time to write this up, and for sharing this valuable knowledge with us.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
January 18, 2020 - 7:05 pm

Thanks for the information! I’ll have to go read the article, myself, as soon as possible!

James

Added:  I’m having to wait to hear back from a WACA representative…trying to pay without using PayPal.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 18, 2020 - 7:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

David McNab said
Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed Bert Hartmans’ article “Tips On Buying An Old Winchester Rifle Part 1” in the Winter 2020 Issue.

Articles of this nature are very helpful and educational, further the quality of the photo’s and the tutorial narrative content are very good.

I’m always interested in learning more about Old Winchesters and I’m looking forward to Part 2.

Special thanks to Bert H. for taking the time to write this up, and for sharing this valuable knowledge with us.  

To give proper credit, Brad Dunbar (our WACA Collector magazine Editor) was the impetus behind this article.  He approached me with the idea, and also added some of the material in the article.  We used information that I had previously published here on the WACA website, and then he expanded on it.  The article was actually a collaboration of our combined efforts.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Virginia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 171
January 19, 2020 - 12:15 am

Hmmm, I haven’t received my copy.  Just looked at it on line and can’t wait to get hard copy in hand.  When was it released for mailing?

Big Mac

WACA Guest
January 19, 2020 - 1:09 am

I just finished reading it as well.  Fun, enjoyable, and rewarding reading, and the pictures are fantastic!

Looking forward to Part 2!

Thanks to all!

James

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5052
January 19, 2020 - 3:01 am

Big Mac said
Hmmm, I haven’t received my copy.  Just looked at it on line and can’t wait to get hard copy in hand.  When was it released for mailing?

Big Mac  

Don’t feel badly, I’m still looking for mine as well. It may be in the pile of unopened mail, I barely survived opening the bills.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Posts: 960
January 19, 2020 - 3:44 pm

Thank you guys for the interest and thank you Bert.  We’re glad that you like the article and find it helpful.  Some of the members here have suggested that we print popular forum topics in the magazine from time to time, and in this case it really helped to add in the images too.  The Winter issue of the magazine should be in the mail very soon.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 12, 2020 - 12:41 am

Finally got my Winter 2020 in the mail yesterday.  Did like the piece that Brad and Bert worked on as well as the one by Brad and Daniel Shuey.  Actually all the articles had some great info.  

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
February 12, 2020 - 1:53 am

Received my 2020 winter issue just as I was leaving for a 6 day vacation in Vegas.  No way was it going on the plane. I’m home and just about to have a martini and a Collector. Life is good, even if I’m facing knee replacement. 

PS  We should be extremely proud of the people who put together our magazine,  it one of the finest and I’m  proud to be associated with the writers and editors and publishers.  Thank You 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

February 13, 2020 - 1:17 pm

Thank you very much Vince.  Good luck with the knee!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5052
February 13, 2020 - 1:54 pm

Easing my way through it, finally. Enjoyed Bill Hanzel’s short article on his approach to collecting. Very thoughtful and nicely done. Nice score on a sweet little rifle, too! Can only imagine how many people walked past that gun the previous day and didn’t give it a second glance.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
February 13, 2020 - 4:55 pm

I have been traveling and finally was able to link up with my mail and last night I started reading the winter magazine and found it to be an outstanding issue. I echo the comments from the previous reviewers. I was surprised to see the wartime WRA Records posted and the article regarding ammunition “the first billion”.  A few years back I stumbled into the papers of SGT Pierce who was an ordnance SGT stationed at WRA during the war.  I have several copies of the Record and his picture in the Dec 18 issue.  Most importantly I have his notes and tests reports for the Browning BAR as well as pages upon pages of ballistic reports for the 1906 cartridge.  He basically sent a note to Col Hatcher and said I’m keeping them and he did.  There are pencil drawings of springs, problems, etc as well as draft notes and copies for the first BAR manuals, etc.  Lots of neat stuff.  Regarding the cartridges, there is a picture of the 96 step process in this issue.  I have the ordnance gages that would be used to ensure the machines were in spec. That is why I really enjoyed the articles by Dan and Brad as well as the other historical information. Keep up the GREAT work!

DSC00359.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00360.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00361.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00365.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00348.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00181.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00182.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
February 13, 2020 - 6:23 pm

Very neat, thank you for posting those images!

Winchester firearms are very popular to collect of course.  I don’t know if everyone is aware of the how important cartridge production and sales were for the WRACo and the vast quantities of ammunition the company manufactured in wartime.  We’ll have a few related articles about this in the future, including those on collectible cartridge boxes, standard cartridges and testing, and the Ammunition Manufacturers Association.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 383
February 13, 2020 - 11:49 pm

Thanks Mike. And your right lots of people walked right by it, it was very poorly displayed. A friend of mine who had a table one isle over could not believe he didn’t see it because he could actually see the table from his. All I know is I was happy to bring it home with me. Glad you liked the article too, I was hoping it was well received by those reading it.

WACA Guest
February 18, 2020 - 5:36 pm

All of you good folks that take part in producing the magazine do superb work!  

I’d also like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Bert and Brad’s article, to include, Bill Hanzel’s story!  The pictures of his model 1890 are great, too!!!

Thanks, again, to all!

James

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, Bert H., wally, antler1, clarence, Tedk, TXGunNut, Kendall M
Guest(s) 172
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6383
TXGunNut: 5052
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303
mrcvs: 1727