Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1906 Carrier & Loading malfunction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 1, 2021 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently purchased 2 late-run production model 1906’s.  One of them functions flawlessly, and after taking it down and inspecting it all of the parts look great.  

However the other one is having some major issues with the carrier.  For some reason, the carrier will lift just find when there are no rounds loaded into the magazine.  However when there are any rounds at all the carrier will stay at the bottom 90% of the time.  If the carrier does lift a round up, sometimes the brass is very deformed and the round will not chamber.  I can only get this gun to chamber about 1 or 2 out of 20 rounds, damaging 3 or 4 rounds in the process.  I have replaced the carrier lifter spring which did nothing.  

One thing I noticed between the gun the works great and the gun that doesn’t, is that the carrier on the working gun has a much tighter action when indexing the lifter (as in the carrier begins to lift almost immediately when raising the lifter, whereas on the other gun it’s very loose and the carrier starts to raise much later).  

I have inspected both carriers on both guns and they all have the same parts, so nothing seems to be missing between the working 1906 and the malfunctioning 1906.  However, one glaring thing I found was that the carrier on the malfunctioning one has some significant gorging and burrs (from what, I’m not sure).  I’ll see if I can attach a few pictures.  I dont’ know if this damage would have anything to do with how the carrier catches rounds from the magazine and lifts them into the bore.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Numrich is out of carriers and I’m not sure if the damage to this one is a red herring or not.  I’ve linked the picture below but in case it doesn’t work, you can visit this link here to view the receivers.  The damaged one is on the top, and the working on is on the bottom. 

View post on imgur.com

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
May 1, 2021 - 3:39 pm

This is my suggestion.  Swap the carriers from one rifle to the other, and see which one still works properly.  If the problem follows the carrier to the other rifle, you have your answer to your problem.

Bert

p.s. are the serial numbers on either of these rifles > 713200 ?

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
May 1, 2021 - 3:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hey Bert,

Yes, both rifles’ serial numbers are > 713200.  I have one that is 756685 (the one that works) and the other is 842442 (the one that doesn’t).  What is the significance of this?  

Also, I attempted to swap the uppers but I’m unable to get the upper receiver for 842442 to fit onto the lower receiver for 756685…. very odd. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 1, 2021 - 3:58 pm

There is an ongoing research survey documenting the late production Model 90, 06, 62, and 62A rifles that are in the S/N range I specified.  

S/N 756685 was manufactured in August, 1927

S/N 842442 was manufactured May, 1931.

While the barrel assemblies will usually swap from one receiver assembly to another, it is not always the case.  Keep in mind that each individual rifle was hand-fitted to ensure flawless function.  

WACA Guest
May 1, 2021 - 4:37 pm

I believe I have discovered the cause, but I am not quite sure how to fix it.  

The burring / gorging on the carrier is causing the case rim to catch when being fed into the carrier from the magazine tube, when this happens the bullet is half inside the magazine tube and half inside the carrier, which prevents the carrier from rising.  I tested this by attempting to manually feed a round into the carrier with the receivers separated, and encountered a lot of difficulty getting past the burrs and gorges in the metal.  I can only guess that the times the round does feed succesfully into the carrier it miraculously misses every burr and gorge.  

That being said, can anyone tell me if it would be appropriate to attempt to file the burrs out of the carrier?  If so, what type of file should be used?  If that’s not what should be done, is my only option to purchase a new carrier?  

Right now Numrich is out of stock, and eBay only has 1 for sale.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 1, 2021 - 6:24 pm

I would attempt to dress up the burrs and rough edges on the carrier with a fine or extra fine Square (triangular) file. You can’t make it any worse than it already is.

WACA Guest
May 1, 2021 - 10:21 pm

I agree with you that burrs and other defects aren’t good.  What wasn’t evident was if it was a direct cause of the issue…. Now I know that it is, and I know what to do to fix it.  I do find myself wondering how on earth they got there, or what the previous owner could have done to have caused that kind of damage to the carrier.  

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, 1892takedown, pdog72, mrcvs, Mike MV
Guest(s) 58
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263