Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1895 rifle tang screw
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 28, 2018 - 8:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, 

I’m looking for some help. I just got a 1895 rifle that was made in 1898 that has a damaged tang screw. The threads at the end of the screw are quite bunged up, the screw was in fact wrapped in tape to give it a friction fit in the gun to keep it from falling out, the threads don’t hold at all. Can someone tell me the thread size so I can try chasing the threads with the correct die in hopes I can salvage this screw? It also looks like the upper and lower tanks are sprung slightly wider apart than I’d expect, in other words one tang or the other stands about 3/16 of and inch proud of the stock with no screw in. Is this normal and taken up when the screw is tightened?

Thanks 

Don

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
May 28, 2018 - 8:48 pm

Hard to say without seeing it but it sounds like you probably have the wrong screw and possibly other issues.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Posts: 2110
May 28, 2018 - 11:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said
Hi, 

I’m looking for some help. I just got a 1895 rifle that was made in 1898 that has a damaged tang screw. The threads at the end of the screw are quite bunged up, the screw was in fact wrapped in tape to give it a friction fit in the gun to keep it from falling out, the threads don’t hold at all. Can someone tell me the thread size so I can try chasing the threads with the correct die in hopes I can salvage this screw? It also looks like the upper and lower tanks are sprung slightly wider apart than I’d expect, in other words one tang or the other stands about 3/16 of and inch proud of the stock with no screw in. Is this normal and taken up when the screw is tightened?

Thanks 

Don  

Hi Don,

The thread size on the 1895 tang screw is approximately 12 x 28 and the overall length is approximately is 1.75 inches.  It would cost you less just to purchase a new screw (or an original used screw) than it would to buy the 12×28 die.  New screws can be bought for about $4 here http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_860.htm  Or you can get a used one on eBay.  The same screw fits the 1873, 1892 and 1894 with some minor length variations.

No, the tang should not be that proud of the stock.  If the stock has been heavily sanded it will make the tang stand out or if it is bent as you mentioned.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
May 29, 2018 - 12:20 am

Thanks for your help.

I’ll buy a new screw and see how things look after installing it.

I’ll be back with the results.

I appreciate the help!

Regards

Don

WACA Guest
June 16, 2018 - 10:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m still waiting for the screw – ordered it nearly 3 weeks ago!

Don

Forum Posts: 2110
June 16, 2018 - 4:24 pm

[email protected] said
Hi Everyone,

I’m still waiting for the screw – ordered it nearly 3 weeks ago!

Don  

Where did you buy it from?  Homestead or eBay?

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
June 16, 2018 - 9:39 pm

If you ordered it from Homestead shoot them an e-mail or give them a call. They ship pretty quickly if the item is in stock. Good folks!

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
June 16, 2018 - 9:42 pm

Homestead – 3 emails, 2 phone msgs, 2 texts, 0 replys

CC has been charged $4 for screw $6.70 for shipping.

Is this normal for them, or did something fall through the cracks?

Regards

Don

WACA Member
June 16, 2018 - 9:50 pm

[email protected] said
Homestead – 3 emails, 2 phone msgs, 2 texts, 0 replys

CC has been charged $4 for screw $6.70 for shipping.

Is this normal for them, or did something fall through the cracks?

Regards

Don

‘  

Not normal. Small company so a backlog or other issue is possible.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
July 4, 2018 - 2:11 pm

[Image Can Not Be Found]

I’m back. 

The tang screw arrived shortly after my last post, but I wasn’t at home so I’m now catching up.

I’ve tried to post a couple of photo’s. so if they appear this will be a bit clearer. The screw doesn’t reach the bottom tang hole. I appears that the lower tang is sprung out from it’s normal position and I think I see how that happened. Someone welded the mainspring and it looks to me like it heated the lower tang enough to warp it from it’s normal position. At least that’s my guess. 

Now to get it back where it belongs!

Well I’ve got this 3 pound hammer – nah – just kidding.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this, or who can do it properly for me. I’m in no hurry, and I want to avoid any further damage.

Suggestions, comments, please and thank you!

Don[Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Guest
July 4, 2018 - 2:14 pm

Image EnlargerImage EnlargerNot doing too well with the pics.[Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Guest
July 4, 2018 - 2:24 pm

The pic on the left isn’t completely accurate, the screw head must not have been seated in the countersink, it does touch the lower tang but would require pressure on the tang to catch a thread. I expect this how the original screw got bunged up.

The pic on the right shows the blob of weld or brazing material on the mainspring – I think.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
July 4, 2018 - 9:02 pm

If you can get a longer screw you may be able to get it pulled in?  Another idea is to use a padded clamp and pull it together enough to get the screw started.  What ever you do, do it slowly.  If you get too much pressure let it sit for awhile then try some more later.  The tang can bend I just don’t know how much??

You need to have the wood on when you try this.

I know you will get some feed back.

WACA Guest
July 6, 2018 - 3:24 pm

Thanks for your suggestions cwachter!

I started with a gentler attempt to begin with. I wrapped the tangs with surgical tubing wrapped fairly tightly. I’ve used this to close cracks in butt-stocks with good results in the past. My initial result is a 0.056 inch improvement – almost enough to catch a thread. I’ll let it rest for awhile and see if the constant gentle pressure moves the tangs more.

Update to come.

WACA Guest
July 8, 2018 - 4:58 pm

OK – I measured again and it has closed another 10 thousands. I caught the screw and drew it in another 20 thousands but I’m in no hurry so I’ll let that rest. I think I’m about half way there, but I’m leaving the tubing on until I next check it, then I’ll install the stock.Image Enlarger

WACA Member
July 8, 2018 - 5:13 pm

When you try again with the wood on don’t be surprise that the tangs have sprung back open.  Use a padded clamp instead of the tubing.  The tangs have to be parallel to get the screw to align properly.  Using a clamp takes the pressure off the screw/threads.

WACA Guest
July 10, 2018 - 6:34 pm

Thanks cwachter!

I removed the tubing with the screw still installed, snugged up a c-clamp with some leather pads for protection and removed the screw, installed the stock and alternately gently screwed the tang screw in and then snugged up the c-clamp that is about halfway up the tang in an effort to keep a more even pressure on the tang. I know you are all probably laughing at the production I’m making of this. but I have a history!! The rifle is 120 years old and I don’t want to be to moron who breaks it.

I didn’t tighten the screw fully yet, its close, but it was getting to require more force than I was comfortable with – I’ll let it sit the way it is for awhile and finish the final couple of turns or so later.

I was once told by an old machinist that he had never seen anyone break a 3/8 inch easy out before – and didn’t believe I was only using a small wrench. I was 20 then, I’m 68 now with a long trail of broken stuff behind me!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This Winchester is growing on me. I might become a Winchester guy when I grow up.

WACA Member
July 10, 2018 - 8:16 pm

Don’t force the screw. Use the clamp to move the tang.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, Manuel, Chris Scott, Ronc
Guest(s) 161
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250