Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1876 50-95 express 26 inch round barrel made in 1883
Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 303
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
21
September 7, 2026 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ronreme said
Yes it will chamber a round I have a couple of bartram 50- 95 cases.
  

The issue here, is theoretically it could be sold to a free person in America, where said person could chamber a round and have a very bad day 

Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2519
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22
September 7, 2026 - 11:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ronreme said
Yes it will chamber a round I have a couple of bartram 50- 95 cases.
  

I don’t think it’s safe to shoot as repaired.  It doesn’t sound like you will fire it but this “repair” plus the fact it can chamber a round suggests to me unsuspecting parties down the road could fire it and be seriously injured.

Avatar
TR
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2002
Member Since:
June 4, 2017
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
23
September 8, 2026 - 1:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

  The gun is made of iron and wood, it will last forever. You have created a potential injury. I shoot my purchases, I’m not sure I would see that repair.                                                                                                      T/R

                                                                               

Avatar
ronreme
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 12
Member Since:
December 28, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24
September 8, 2026 - 6:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I understand your concerns, the gun will not be fired when owned by me. I will ensure as far as possible that any owner after me knows the condition of the repair.  Either by documentation or otherwise.

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25
September 8, 2026 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ronreme said
I understand your concerns, the gun will not be fired when owned by me. I will ensure as far as possible that any owner after me knows the condition of the repair.  Either by documentation or otherwise.
  

The problem is if the gun is not permanently identified someone will want to shot it, probably not in your country but these guns move to different countries and it could end up back in the US and be fired.  Paper documents gets separated from guns all the time when the owner passes and the estate sells them. 

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
Bill Hockett
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 467
Member Since:
July 31, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26
September 8, 2026 - 5:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron, would it be possible for your gunsmith to build a breech plug that would block off the bore from the breech end?  Possible materials might be brass, copper or even lead.  Just an idea…

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

Avatar
ronreme
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 12
Member Since:
December 28, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
27
September 8, 2026 - 6:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes Bill. I will look into getting that done.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7645
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28
September 9, 2026 - 2:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill Hockett said
Ron, would it be possible for your gunsmith to build a breech plug that would block off the bore from the breech end?  Possible materials might be brass, copper or even lead.  Just an idea…
  

Good idea. Anything that will prevent a live round from chambering. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., Mark Douglas, Tedk, TR, btbell, Zebulon, DQL5150, MidwestCrisis
Guest(s) 715
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7645
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5848
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3074
twobit: 2743
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2519
Zebulon: 2393
Newest Members:
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16309
Posts: 149257

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10992
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation