Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1873 3rd model - Do I Restore or leave as is?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 4, 2022 - 3:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

IMG_2413.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2414.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2417.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2420.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2412.jpgImage EnlargerMy father recently passed and I was able get his Winchester 1873 3rd Model 44-40 (107K serial) from him.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with the gun and maintain what value is there.  Not too educated on antique guns so any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.  It has a lot of wear so I am looking at replacing some screws and the cover plate.  The dust cover spring is broke or not working so I’ll need to get a new one (Homestead is out of stock).  Should I restore it and re-blue it with new wood and replaced as-needed parts or leave it and just clean it.  I’d like to keep the value in it or add value.  I’ll take it apart and look for any other parts that need to be replaced.  Photos added.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6398
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 4, 2022 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Jeff Juergens said Should I restore it and re-blue it with new wood and replaced as-needed parts or leave it and just clean it.  

What Teddy Roosevelt said about the Grand Canyon applies equally to this gun:   “Leave it as it is.  You cannot improve it.  The ages have been at work on it & man can only mar it.”

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
October 4, 2022 - 4:12 pm

Hopefully 1873 Man will jump in with his sage advice, but until then, please do not attempt to “restore it”.  You will no doubt lose what value it may have.  The screw holding the side plates together has already been butchered by a non fitting screw driver.  There is a chance the screw is frozen with rust and age which may be why the screw slot is so badly damaged.  If it works as it is, a wiping with oil only is advised.  Clarence had a good saying for the situation.  Tim

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
October 4, 2022 - 4:14 pm

Jeff Juergens said
IMG_2413.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2414.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2417.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2420.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2412.jpgImage EnlargerMy father recently passed and I was able get his Winchester 1873 3rd Model 44-40 (107K serial) from him.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with the gun and maintain what value is there.  Not too educated on antique guns so any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.  It has a lot of wear so I am looking at replacing some screws and the cover plate.  The dust cover spring is broke or not working so I’ll need to get a new one (Homestead is out of stock).  Should I restore it and re-blue it with new wood and replaced as-needed parts or leave it and just clean it.  I’d like to keep the value in it or add value.  I’ll take it apart and look for any other parts that need to be replaced.  Photos added.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Simply put, don’t be dumb…..LEAVE IT ALONE!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
October 4, 2022 - 4:19 pm

Welcome!

Most folks around here will try to weld up the crack in the Liberty Bell before they restore an honest old gun like yours.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
October 4, 2022 - 4:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks, guys.  I just wanted to make sure before I do something wrong/dumb.  I’ll give her a light cleaning and oil and replace the dust cover spring.

Jeff  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
October 4, 2022 - 7:36 pm

Jeff,

The pictures don’t show enough detail to see any big problems. The are a few buggered screw heads which is normal with a gun that has been used a lot. The dust cover spring just puts a little tension on the bottom of the cover to keep it from sliding on its own and in the forward position it has a detent to keep it closed. From what I can see of it I would leave it alone. Their looks to be a letter carved in the stock and the restore would eliminate that part of its history.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
October 4, 2022 - 9:13 pm

1873man said
Jeff,

The pictures don’t show enough detail to see any big problems. The are a few buggered screw heads which is normal with a gun that has been used a lot. The dust cover spring just puts a little tension on the bottom of the cover to keep it from sliding on its own and in the forward position it has a detent to keep it closed. From what I can see of it I would leave it alone. Their looks to be a letter carved in the stock and the restore would eliminate that part of its history.

Bob

Thanks, Bob.  Appreciate the feedback.  Just have to find a spring for the dust cover now.  Laugh

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
October 4, 2022 - 10:11 pm

Ebay has them all the time.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's