Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1866 barrel
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 94
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 22, 2023 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Does anyone know if a Winchester 1866 carbine barrel will fit on a Winchester 1873 carbine? I have a brand new 1866 carbine barrel in WIN 44-40 caliber. Unfortunately, the the WIN 44-40 cartridge is too long for the 1866 carrier. 

I should have done the research before I had the barrel reamed out for the 44-40 cartridge.

Thanks, Richard

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
May 22, 2023 - 8:14 pm

I believe they are interchangable besides chambering.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
May 23, 2023 - 2:05 am

The threads on the barrel match but the chamber is different. Front sight is on the barrel band on 1st model 73s and early 66s. Later the front sight was on the barrel on both models. The barrel band screw slot on barrel and tube are different spaces on the models. Rear sight dove tail is the same on early 73s as 66s.

The long and short of it, it can be done and not show from the outside. With the forearm removed you would see the extra slots in magazine tube and barrel. But you can’t mix early with later models, Winchester made changes in both models. The usual upgrade on a late 66 carbine is to use a 73 2nd model barrel and tube. The chamber is sleeved and the only tell is under the wood. T/R

WACA Member
May 23, 2023 - 3:31 pm

1873man said
I believe they are interchangable besides chambering.

Bob

Bob, thank you for taking time to answer my question. Much appreciated. Richard

WACA Member
May 23, 2023 - 5:42 pm

TR said
  The threads on the barrel match but the chamber is different. Front sight is on the barrel band on 1st model 73s and early 66s. Later the front sight was on the barrel on both models. The barrel band screw slot on barrel and tube are different spaces on the models. Rear sight dove tail is the same on early 73s as 66s.

The long and short of it, it can be done and not show from the outside. With the forearm removed you would see the extra slots in magazine tube and barrel. But you can’t mix early with later models, Winchester made changes in both models. The usual upgrade on a late 66 carbine is to use a 73 2nd model barrel and tube. The chamber is sleeved and the only tell is under the wood. T/R

TR, thank you for your answer. It was very helpful. Are you saying I could sleeve this barrel back to a 44 Rim Fire? Other than that, I would have to try and sell it to someone to use on a Winchester 1873. It is a brand new barrel, in the white, with a roll mark Winchester address.

Thanks again for your answer. Richard

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
May 23, 2023 - 8:54 pm

Richard Pike said

TR said

TR, thank you for your answer. It was very helpful. Are you saying I could sleeve this barrel back to a 44 Rim Fire? Other than that, I would have to try and sell it to someone to use on a Winchester 1873. It is a brand new barrel, in the white, with a roll mark Winchester address.

Thanks again for your answer. Richard

Your barrel is not original Winchester with original finish, so it would just be a shooter. 44 Rim Fire would not be a shooter. Doesn’t make sense. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 20
May 24, 2023 - 3:30 pm

If this is a 20 inch round carbine barrel, I could be interested if it is for sale and will fit the 73.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291