Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Tap size 1892 Winchester cartridge lifter screws?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 6, 2023 - 12:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Anyone happen to know what tap size one would use to chase the lifter threads in a 1892 (1910) receiver ? 

Emmett Idaho
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 37
August 18, 2023 - 5:36 am

Did you get an answer for your tap size?  I assume you are talking about the carrier screws?  If so they are 3/16-36.   Sorry I have not been on here in quite a while.  Always feel free to email me or call if you run into something like that.  I answer gunsmithing questions all the time.  
I would Chuck the receiver it into a mill vise, locate the hole and use a tap guide with plenty of good thin cutting oil.  Then run it in BY HAND! 
Sam 

IMG_9235.jpeg

WACA Member 

Colt Collectors Association Member 

Buffalo Bill Center of the West Member 

WACA Guest
August 18, 2023 - 11:33 am

Thanks Sam. Yeah , posted my question on another forum where it was answered. Any idea where a guy might pick up a Binding Screw for the rear sight on one of these 92’s?

I’m also going to need a new front sight, which i’m able to find fairly easily. Just looking for one that won’t cost an extra mortgage on the house. This 92 shoots about a foot high @50 yards. Looks like the sight had been filed down or broken off at some point in it’s life. It  measures .285 high. Got the old girl shooting 2″ groups @ 50 yards with jacketed bullets. Haven’t found a cast bullet that will shoot worth a darn.

Emmett Idaho
WACA Member
August 22, 2023 - 4:01 am

Steve you are going to need a .385”- .400” high front sight.  I had the same issue with one of my personal rifles.  I actually built one up from the filed down 21A. Filed it back down too .400” and shaped it.   It worked perfectly despite it being a 24” octagon barrel.  

if jacketed bullet work then great!  Shoot them by all means. What diameter bullet are you shooting? Is it the original barrel ? If so what vintage, barre type and length? 

I will look and see if I have an extra screw tomorrow if not let me see if I can find one for you.  What sight do you actually have?  I assume it is a 22 series?  
if you don’t mind just email me directly.  
Sam 

IMG_9235.jpeg

WACA Member 

WACA Guest
August 22, 2023 - 12:52 pm

The rifle was made around 1910 from what I’ve been able to relate to ser # 557128. The 24″ octagon barrel has to be original from it’s look. She’s a bit rough in the looks department but all original from what I can tell.  Every screw on the rifle was mangled to the point that I had a hard time getting her all torn down for a thorough cleaning. My ultrasonic cleaner couldn’t do the job after a few attempts. I had to use a pic to get into the nooks and crannies to loosen up the 100 year old caked crud.

I ordered a new screw set from Homestead Gun Parts. Wasn’t the best, but serviceable with the exception of the lever pin lock retainer screw. They sent the wrong screw. I called them for a replacement, they never returned my call. I was able to find an original screw on ebay.

There was very little of the front sight blade left when I bought the rifle. It measured .285. I was able to push the old sight blade out of it’s steel base. I used a polished face hammer to flatten out a 5/16 brass bolt to form a new blade. It started out at .4?? something high. I sat down at my range with a file and worked the new blade down (rear sight set at middle notch) until I got bullets going to the bullseye on a target @50 yards. It’s not German Silver, but it beat spending $100 on a new sight.

The load I’m using is a Hornady XTP 100 grain HP .312 dia. on top of 10 grns of IMR4227.

I did find a screw that will fit the rear sight. It’s not the correct set screw, but will do until I run across one. I believe the rear sight is the 24 series. I’ve added a picture for identification.

https://i.imgur.com/C77WrMVl.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/XzQcOHCl.jpgImage Enlarger

Emmett Idaho
WACA Member
August 23, 2023 - 5:48 pm

Steve, I am impressed you did that much!  Making the new front sight was perfect for your rifle.  That is how you sight it in.  A smooth file and range time.  Very nice!  
I looked but did not have a rear sight screw.  I will keep looking.  

IMG_9235.jpeg

WACA Member 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, steve004, 28 gauge, mrcvs, tsillik, Ben, Pwog
Guest(s) 120
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6405