Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Shimming a tang sight on 1894's
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 21, 2016 - 4:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

(Guess I’m on a shim kick–Part II.)  (–and I do have a third and fouth shim topic regarding my Great-grandfather’s ’73, but that is a future thread.)

The first Marble’s tang sight I shimmed was with a plastic drinking straw–I was out shooting in the mountains with few options for use as a shim–seemed about the correct thickness.  It worked so well I didn’t disturb the piece of straw.

I’m thinking I was lucky in using the correct width under the other sights I shimmed in the same way.

Buuuuut–the last one I shimmed, seems I cut the straw too narrow for the purpose.  The sight and lock piece bump forward with the rifle’s recoil and stick there.  The narrow shim has lifted the center of the sight just enough to allow the lock piece to move forward and beneath the base of the sight–beyond where it is designed to stop.  Looks and feels as if the straw should be wider to act as a bearing surface for the sliding lock piece.  When stuck, a little fiddling will free the sight and it is good to go for another shot or to be laid/locked down more horizontally.

The old instruction sheet accompanying old Marble’s tang sights suggests using paper or cardboard.  A thin piece of cardboard soaked with oil is what I learned somewhere is what used to suffice.  Is that the best?  Is there a better, modern material for shimming these sights?

Is there a width measurement that will ensure proper functioning of the sliding lock lever?

I’d guess some of you are wondering why I just don’t remove and measure the plastic from one of the sights that are functioning properly.  I could.  I just prefer to not monkey with the sights when they are dead-on.  And since I’ll be working with a few other rifles/sights, I thought I could use your suggestions to “Do it right the first time!” with them, if there is a right material and width.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
April 21, 2016 - 4:49 am

Just a thought, but what about using a piece of the paper/cardboard type of automotive gasket material for a shim?  It seems this would be a comparable option to oil soaked cardboard, but more durable.

Don

WACA Guest
April 21, 2016 - 5:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks, Don.  Are there gaskets as thin as a drinking straw–one or two layers of straw?  I’m trying to watch out for materials with anything that will eat/damage the rifle’s tang and sight base.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
April 21, 2016 - 5:10 am

A drinking straw is pretty thin.  I’m not sure if they make a gasket material that thin or not.  I would have to check at an auto parts store.  Some I’ve used in the past was about the thickness of a playing card.  It was bulk stock that came in sheets and you would cut out your own gaskets.

Don

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
April 21, 2016 - 2:05 pm

You can use anything that is the right thickness. a business card will work, just soak it with a little oil.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 21, 2016 - 11:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Here’s a picture that looks as if the shim is of oil soaked cardboard.  I also had one on a 94 that was of the same width under one side of the tang sight.  Hope it helps.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/bmt43/9a956172-56a9-4270-af44-e5fc787ad748_zpse027147c.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
April 23, 2016 - 4:52 am

JWM94, nice photo.  Thank you.

I’ll check the ’94 that has the problem shim.  If it doesn’t touch the screws, I’ll cut a bit larger one.  As it is, if it does touch the threads, I’ll experiment with cutting a piece with a slight tongue between the screws to support the locking piece.

Another question:  Do you folks find century-old oil-soaked cardboard/paper shims still properly functioning on rifles?

And more:  As to rusting:  I assume the oil soaked shim would not allow the adjoining metal to rust.  Would a plastic shim allow the metal to corrode?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
April 23, 2016 - 1:57 pm

The plastic would not absorb water like paper will so it would not be as big of a problem. If you took the gun out hunting and it got wet you would want to dry it out and put some oil on it as soon as possible either way. I have found only paper/cardboard under tang sights and it has done the job for over 100 years.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
April 23, 2016 - 9:13 pm

Thank you, Bob.  100+ years should suffice.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
April 23, 2016 - 10:20 pm

FromTheWoods said

Thank you, Bob.  100+ years should suffice.

The phrase “has stood the test of time” comes to mind.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
April 25, 2016 - 7:59 am

Yup

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, cranky2, Louis Luttrell, Ben, MNwin
Guest(s) 141
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)