Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
LIMITED restore 1873 Win (With a trap find!!!)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2018 - 1:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Howdy!

Im new to the forum but not to vintage guns. Ive recently picked up this Win ‘73 (38.40) 3rd model from a fellow collector. 

Of all the project rifles ive ever had the pleasure of owning, this one is truly an untouched time capsule. I know what youre thinking “Untouched?” Unlikely right!…. 99%of so called “project rifles” were typically someone elses “project” until they either lost interest or funds or both. I looked long and hard for a 73 that hadn’t met its fate at the hands of another garage Turnbull wannabe. 

Dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong IMO with limited restores to shore up the ravages of time. The travesties I speak of are perhaps when the rifle becomes more “Birchwood-Casey” than “Winchester”. 

Either way I’ve begun a very limited restore on this one. In disassembling it I’ve noticed all parts are surface rusted and plum brown throughout. Bore is 50% at best with light rifling chamber to muzzle. Some shine through chamber half. Light pitting throughout. Original finish only under barrel forend. Chamber breech is also plum brown patina. Trigger and hammer assembly still shows color case hardening once wiped clean of slight rust. 

Stock has honest rubs and dents. Dark from gun oils throughout. Only a light sanding and a good stock oil and wax will be applied. 

Inside the stock trap I found a wax paper calendar dated “July 1896” it was wrapped around 10 intact separate matches”. I carefully removed said matches and calendar on video. Considering the rifle was born 1889 according to Cody. I am convinced the matches were indeed stuck inside the trap since the late 1890s until I discovered them in 2018!

i will post the images on this page 

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
May 25, 2018 - 5:59 pm

[email protected] said
Howdy!

Stock has honest rubs and dents. Dark from gun oils throughout. Only a light sanding and a good stock oil and wax will be applied. 

Avoid the “light sanding” at all costs – that’s one of Bubba’s first steps in “Frankenchestering” a gun.  If the stock needs first aid, clean it, remove the original finish, degrease it and steam out the dents as much as possible but stay away from the sandpaper.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 4, 2018 - 11:04 pm

I took your advice. No sanding. I really like the dents and scratches. Theyre like a historical roadmap. I cleaned it and degreased it only toward the middle. I left the edges alone except to clean them since they appeared more fragile. I reapplied stock wax and buffed it repeatedly. It looks satin and smoother and the dents and scratches are still there with more grain than before. 

Im preoccupied with finding vintage parts for it. Im also having the barrel relined as it is dark mostly and pit rung. Whats your advice on relining?

Texas Stax

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
June 5, 2018 - 12:00 am

I used Taylor Machine in WA a few years back to reline my “shooter” 1892 in 32WCF. I’ve lost his contact info but can probably find it if you’re interested. Good man, does very good work.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 8, 2018 - 9:05 am

You wouldn’t want to turn loose of that 92 would ya? It’s next on my list. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give him a try and let you know what he says.

side note: I received a set of newly machined toggle links from LEE SHAVER GUNSMITHING in Lamar, Mo. they fit like they were born in my rifle! He does very fine work and I’ll def be using him as a solid resource for action components.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
June 8, 2018 - 11:54 pm

I’ve heard good things about Shaver.

Quite honestly I have too much in that 1892 and it has very little collector value. It looks a little funny with a Lyman 17 front sight and a current production Marble tang sight (and a 23” barrel) but it’s a fun little gun. Wander up I35 someday if you want to shoot it.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 14, 2018 - 9:00 am

Thanks for the offer. If work will leave me alone I’ll let you know. 

Ive had some luck on eBay with a few internals. Had to pay up for a vintage carrier lever and finger lever but both are in great shape! The finger lever even has the same deep plum brown patina that my 73 has. All new pins, new toggle links and a new carrier lever spring from Jack First. My action is very snappy and tight. It cycles great except it still hangs when I go to close the breech. Pushing the finger lever back (towards rear) allows the carrier and carrier lever to slump slightly. The slump is enough to be in the way of the breech bolt coming forward in the same motion. It’s small and I fear it’s due to excess wear on the front of the brass carrier (as it rubs the breech wall) since it slumps slightly in that direction.

i hope I don’t wind up replacing that carrier as well since I’ve looked around and finding a marked 38 Cal unworn brass original carrier is like finding hen’s teeth.

other than that it’s going well. There’s a gunsmith here in Dallas MCLelland Gunsmithing. I’ve sent them word of what’s up with it and I’m hoping to get a timeframe from them. I’ll update once I know what they say

Texas Stax

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tionesta1, RickC, Blue Ridge Parson
Guest(s) 151
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282