Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
First Year 1894 (Carrier Problem ?)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 300
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 5, 2018 - 11:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just curious to find out how the cycling worked out on this rifle… Did the ‘smith straighten out the carrier and did that fix the chambering issue?

Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
August 5, 2018 - 11:21 pm

Thank you for asking, Ron.

The smith was unable to get the old carrier to function properly, so the rifle now sports a newer style carrier.  Still there are quirks in the cycling–and I’d have to shoot it again to remember the specifics.  At times cartridges don’t flow properly from the magazine tube, and a person still needs to heed the movement of the cartridge from the elevator into the chamber. 

I’ll be checking the magazine tube to see that there is no gap for the case rim to snag on coming into the receiver.  Maybe stretch the spring a tad also.

The chambering–I’m fairly certain a pointier nosed slug would solve all the problems, but I’m happy with the cast bullets I’m loading.  So I’ll be patient, shoot more, and be attentive toward discovering an adjustment that will solve the problem. 

Someone was inside the rifle who pried and prodded where they shouldn’t have.  So, function is acceptable, but I wouldn’t want to rely on this one for fighting Zombies.

The load I’ve worked up is quite accurate.  Love to shoot this rifle!

I would like to purchase another original, early carrier for this rifle.  If anyone sees one for sale, I’d appreciate a heads-up.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
August 6, 2018 - 2:03 am

Glad to hear of your progress. Based on your earlier posts I think I’d invest in a new magazine spring. I’m using a cast bullet with a fairly large meplat in a 94 a few weeks older than yours with no issues, suspect feeding issues lie elsewhere. Good luck figuring it out, I’m betting you will.

Mike 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 161
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322