Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Disassembly of 2nd model 1873 Winchester
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 92
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 9, 2014 - 3:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 2nd model 1873 ,30"octagon barrel full mag standard stock and cresent butt plate 44-40, mfg 1880. Question is how to disable the mag tube to get forearm off? I am a rookie at these old guns but have had most of my old Winchester’s apart and back together for cleaning. My 1894’s have a set screw at end of mag tube you pull out and allows you to get mag spring out and bullet follower out. Pull the pin in the mag hanger, loosen forearm cap and you should be able to pull mag free from receiver.
like this pic 1894 mag
[Image Can Not Be Found]

Thanks Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
January 9, 2014 - 9:37 pm

Bruce,

If it does not have a screw in the bottom of the mag tube plug then its a early second model with the first model type plug that is threaded into the tube. You don’t have to remove the plug to remove the tube. Just drive out the pin in the band and loosen the forearm cap. Put some oil on the tube to lube the tube as it comes out. The spring and follower will push out into the forearm as you pull it out. When you go back together just drop the follower into the forearm and feed the tube in with the spring started in the forearm. It will all slide back into place when the tube is pushed in.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
May 16, 2014 - 3:13 pm

I having some trouble getting the mag tube moving.I have done all pre work pulled pin on mag hanger ,mag plug out, spring , follower, loosen forearm cap.
I was just wondering if any one had any good tips on removing the mag tube of antique to make sure there is no dirt and grim under forearm and clean?

Please any help would be great
Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 16, 2014 - 5:01 pm

Bruce,

Personally I don’t like to take them apart unless they need fixing because you loose all that original dirt that gives the gun the original look. Its like cutting the seal on a box for a collectable toy, once its cut it can’t be put back.

What I do if I have a one that does not move is to leave the mag tube plug in and clamp the mag tube in a padded vise over the mag tube plug and gently snug the vise. You are using the vise to grip the tube so you can rotate the tube. Once the tube starts to move you just work it little by little until it rotates free all the time keeping oil on the mag tube band and wiping away any grime that comes loose since it will be abrasive when you slide the tube through the band and scratch the finish. You have to be careful of putting too much twisting force on the tube or it will split since the tube is a rolled piece of metal and has a soldered seam.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
May 16, 2014 - 5:33 pm