Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 Winchester 44-40 Cartridge Loading Issue
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 1, 2018 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 1892 Winchester in 44-40 with one issue. After loading the magazine, I try to cycle the action and have to massage the level until the cartridge rim slides over and centers so the carrier can raise. Its more than an annoince than anything, but I would like to resolve. Any recommendations are appreciated.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 2, 2018 - 5:07 pm

Hard to tell from your question exactly what is happening but it sound as though the carrier is not going all the way down when you close the lever.  This could be due to wear but the problem is more likely a broken cartridge stop spring in the left cartridge guide.  I would check for some tension and free movement on the cartridge stop itself.  If it is hard to move, or doesn’t move at all, I would disassemble the action and remove that left cartridge guide and check the spring.  You don’t mention how old your rifle is but that spring is so thin it is one of the first things on an 1892 that rusts out.  Replacement springs (newly made) are easy to find.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 20
January 5, 2018 - 12:23 pm

The carrier appears to have been replaced and the carrier spring has good tension. It appears the cartridge rim is hanging up at the loading gate somehow instead of sliding over completely onto the carrier. Wiggling the lever causes the rim to release and slide over. I don’t know if I need to polish some of the gate components to reduce friction, but have already done that with the loading gate cover (which has been replaced).

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
January 7, 2018 - 3:06 am

[email protected] said

I have a 1892 Winchester in 44-40 with one issue. After loading the magazine, I try to cycle the action and have to massage the level until the cartridge rim slides over and centers so the carrier can raise. Its more than an annoince than anything, but I would like to resolve. Any recommendations are appreciated.  

Hello,

Could I add your 1892 rifle into my survey please?

1892 Survey

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-research-survey-discussion/winchester-model-1892-all-rifle-survey/

Thanks

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 56
January 8, 2018 - 11:37 pm

Hi,  What exactly has been replaced?  Are you sure you have not used parts out of small caliber action ?  44WCF is flat ,small caliber carrier curls up on LH side.  You say that  the loading gate has also been replaced.  The correct loading gate for 44 WCF has a narrower projection on the back then those for the smaller calibers, but can be modified. Other things to check,  make sure magazine spring and follower are clean and doing their job, Magazine cut off free and springy, and lifter should click in to position both up and down. I would check the loading gate , a 44 cartridge rim will catch on the back of a 32 Gate. Make sure that both cartridge guides are fully seated and tight ,and screw ends do not extend through.  They are great little actions, just need to be clean and oiled. I hope this helps,    Just go gently,and watch how everything works.       Eric  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 9, 2018 - 12:36 am

Don’t overlook cleaning the magazine tube.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Dixie
WACA Guest
July 31, 2019 - 9:31 pm

If after getting the first cartridge into the chamber, (by “fingering” it), do all the rest feed normally ?If so, make sure the Loading Gate is “free” of the last cartridge after loading.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: antler1, rwsem
Guest(s) 203
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261