Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Winchester Stock
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Boise, Idaho
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 35
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 20, 2022 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an original 1886 Winchester, I’m going to give the rifle a 70% grade for this discussion.

My question is whether it would be advisable to rub Tung Oil mixed with Winchester Spirit Stain on the wood stock?

Health & Happiness

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
April 21, 2022 - 4:22 pm

It depends on what your gun looks like now and what you are trying to do to it.  Boiled linseed oil will bring life back to a dried out stock and add some color.  It may take a few coats though.  The stain may or may not hurt the gun.  I have repaired stocks and wiped stain not only on the repair area but the entire gun so the repair is less visible.  I did not sand or remove any of the original finish before doing this.

Pictures may help.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
April 21, 2022 - 6:13 pm

Chuck said
It depends on what your gun looks like now and what you are trying to do to it.  Boiled linseed oil will bring life back to a dried out stock and add some color.  It may take a few coats though.  The stain may or may not hurt the gun.  I have repaired stocks and wiped stain not only on the repair area but the entire gun so the repair is less visible.  I did not sand or remove any of the original finish before doing this.

Pictures may help.  

My opinion is the same as Chuck’s. If I’m buying an old rare Winchester, an added wipe on of boiled linseed oil without sanding or removal of the original finish is acceptable to me. When you strip, sand, and stain, I call that restore. T/R

Boise, Idaho
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 35
April 22, 2022 - 4:38 am

I’m in the process of finishing another rifle stock using Tung Oil thus the question.

Since my hands were coated with excess Tung Oil I rubbed it on my 1886 wood, worked out good.

Just applied the oil directly into the original finish. 

Health & Happiness

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
April 22, 2022 - 7:49 pm

When it has time to dry and if spots show up give it another coat.  Vigorous hand rubbing can bring out a sheen.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: freebird1968
Guest(s) 192
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261