Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1866 or Henry Dissasembly
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1584
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 1, 2020 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Chuck said
Maverick, I called them.  They can probably make them but the cost to make the dies will be a few thousand dollars depending upon how many steps are needed to form the brass.  They also won’t make less than 25,000 rounds.

I am still going to send them a diagram of the case so I can get a better estimate of the cost and I might learn more in the process.  Now that I know what kind of business will do this I will search harder for a smaller one in the LA area.  That’s one benefit of living near LA.  Anything is close at hand you just have to find it. 

If the minimum run is 25,000; well then I guess you just need to open up your own obsolete ammunition company and get to churning them puppies out. 

You might as well have them quote you for making them out of copper. Anyway you do it, I would imagine making a run of ammunition would be cheaper than buying original 44 Henry ammunition.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 2, 2020 - 7:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Maverick said

Chuck said
Maverick, I called them.  They can probably make them but the cost to make the dies will be a few thousand dollars depending upon how many steps are needed to form the brass.  They also won’t make less than 25,000 rounds.
I am still going to send them a diagram of the case so I can get a better estimate of the cost and I might learn more in the process.  Now that I know what kind of business will do this I will search harder for a smaller one in the LA area.  That’s one benefit of living near LA.  Anything is close at hand you just have to find it. 

If the minimum run is 25,000; well then I guess you just need to open up your own obsolete ammunition company and get to churning them puppies out. 

You might as well have them quote you for making them out of copper. Anyway you do it, I would imagine making a run of ammunition would be cheaper than buying original 44 Henry ammunition.

Sincerely,

Maverick  

I am going to get a quote for just the manufacture of the brass.  They already knew to use 70/30 brass.  70% copper and 30% tin.  I am going to load something for a couple of friends if I can get all things figured out.  I really don’t want to become a 44 Henry/66 brass supplier for who knows how long it will take just to recoup my initial investment.  I really don’t expect to have accurate rounds either but I will be able to say I shot both these guns.  I probably will have to cross section 1 case.  This means I will have to destroy a $60 cartridge to do it.  The only Henry rounds I have that have not been messed with came out of a 100 round box.  These are the early pointed bullets with the dished impression and the raise H.  Not the later stamped impression and raised H.  If you look at Giles & Shuey’s book the 100 round box they show used to belong to one of my close friends.  He sold it some time back and this guy actually bought a 2nd 100 round box.  There is only about 4 or 5 of these known.  One of them is in the Cody Museum. I was told who owns another one but I forget.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2303