Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1873 Musket
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 491
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 22, 2020 - 6:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This is the last episode I made before heading off to gunsmithing school at the Lassen College Gunsmithing Program in Susanville, California.  I hope to keep making a few episodes when time permits, but with 12-14 hour days in the classroom, this old-timer might not be able to keep up the same pace.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
August 22, 2020 - 6:31 pm

Mark,

Great video

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 588
August 22, 2020 - 11:03 pm

Mark,

Fun video again!  Have fun at the gunsmithing school, too!!

TimLaugh

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 346
August 22, 2020 - 11:59 pm

That was a fun video.  Happy trails to gunsmithing school.

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

Great Basin
WACA Member
August 23, 2020 - 4:10 am

Thanks guys!  I’m glad you enjoyed it.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
August 23, 2020 - 12:57 pm

Mark, I really enjoyed your video and loved the choice of guns. Both 44-40’s and both original, you made a old collector smile. Tom

Great Basin
WACA Member
August 23, 2020 - 3:23 pm

TR said
 Mark, I really enjoyed your video and loved the choice of guns. Both 44-40’s and both original, you made a old collector smile. Tom  

Thanks Tom!  They’re both great guns that have been workhorses rather than safe queens.  Makes it easier to load them in the pickup and take them up on the mountain to shoot.  Both very enjoyable to shoot.  Thanks for watching.  Mark

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
August 24, 2020 - 4:59 am

I’m going to miss the videos as you focus on gunsmithing school. I’m sure you’ll miss the Cinnabar as well. As I understand it gunsmithing is a labor of love. The biggest problem for me is that a gunsmith is expected to work on whatever comes thru the door of your shop whether it’s a Krieghoff or a Model 12 or a Harrington & Richardson. 

I know you’ve put a lot of thought into this change of direction in your life and I’m hoping for the best for you and your wife.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Great Basin
WACA Member
August 24, 2020 - 12:04 pm

TXGunNut said
I’m going to miss the videos as you focus on gunsmithing school. I’m sure you’ll miss the Cinnabar as well. As I understand it gunsmithing is a labor of love. The biggest problem for me is that a gunsmith is expected to work on whatever comes thru the door of your shop whether it’s a Krieghoff or a Model 12 or a Harrington & Richardson. 

I know you’ve put a lot of thought into this change of direction in your life and I’m hoping for the best for you and your wife.

Mike  

Thanks Mike.  Fortunately, the school is close enough to home that I’ll drive back to the ranch on most weekends and will try to keep up with filming some episodes when I’m home and my “honeydew” list isn’t too long.  I’m also planning a weekly recap from the gunsmithing program, showing what we’re working on if there seems to be an interest in that sort of thing.

Erin and I are getting along in years and the next generation doesn’t have an interest or aptitude in ranching, so we’ve leased out most of the ranch and I find myself with far too much time on my hands and nowhere near ready to retire.  Since we won’t have to rely on gunsmithing as our only source of income, I plan to specialize on the guns that I find most interesting – vintage firearms.  I also plan to help out our neighbors with their general gunsmithing needs, but we are so remote and sparsely populated that a general gunsmith would quickly starve here.

I’m very fortunate in that I’ve become very good friends with a couple of retired gunsmiths who specialized in vintage firearms and whom I consider to be among the very best in the world at their craft.  I hope to spend the next couple of years learning the basics at school while spending time learning from world-class mentors.

The title of the last episode, “Farewell to The Cinnabar” caused quite a stir, particularly among our friends and family.  We even heard from several of the foreign exchange students we’ve hosted on the ranch over the years.  Thankfully, I’m only leaving the ranch temporarily and plan to eventually set up shop right here on The Cinnabar. 

Thanks so much for watching our channel.  Making these videos is the real labor of love, but we’re really having a good time with it.  Mark 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: sb, antler1, clarence, Big Larry, Zebulon, Jeremy P, Gene Moses, MNwin
Guest(s) 178
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726