Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Report from the 2015 Cody Show
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forum Posts: 960
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 16, 2015 - 10:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Once again the Cody show was a great time.  I tried to summarize many of the highlights for me in a writeup at the link below.  The great thing about the show is that a person could have different interests in Winchesters and still report back with the same enthusiasm.  I’m sure I forgot some stuff and I give a blanket “thank you” to everyone who made it a great four days in July.  If you haven’t been out there for the show I recommend you get there.  If you are thinking about joining the Winchester Arms Collectors Association please do so and you will enjoy the show that much more.

http://1drv.ms/1f6EsNU

Thanks,

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
July 16, 2015 - 1:28 pm

Brad,

Great report. I’ll make it to Cody some day.

Thanks,

Al

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 491
July 16, 2015 - 2:08 pm

Excellent report and pictures.  This was my first time at the Cody show and it was certainly worth the trip.  I spent two days walking the aisles and I’m sure there were things I missed.  Congratulations on the 1895.  It looks like a dandy.  I, too, came home with an 1895 and am quite pleased with it.  Saw more that I would have loved to bring home, but were a little (and some were a whole lot) out of my price range.  It was a fantastic experience, both in terms of the guns and also in getting to meet others with our Winchester compulsion.  I hope to make it out again next year. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
July 16, 2015 - 3:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Really great article, Brad!   Thanks!

I hope to make the Cody show someday, too, and the sooner the better.

James

July 16, 2015 - 8:48 pm

I hope you guys who haven’t been there make it out some day.  Quite a few pump 22s there James, if you are still collecting them.  Mark, I saw a number of 30US, 30-’03, 30-’06 and 35WCF 1895s.  Also a couple of octagon rifles and I should have taken a picture of a deluxe/fancy one that a friend had there; octagon 40-72 with an extra long barrel.  There were one or two other OB 1895 rifles there also. What caliber and configuration did you end up with? 

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 491
July 16, 2015 - 9:45 pm

Brad,  

You probably saw the one I bought.  It’s a deluxe 30-03 with a shotgun butt in pretty nice shape.  I’ve been collecting 1895’s for several years and this is my first deluxe model.  

002.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
July 16, 2015 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Mark

I did see that one.  Pretty wood work for sure too.  Kind of an interesting cartridge history and you wouldn’t think there would be a lot of deluxe rifles in that caliber out there.  Not much love for the Model 1895 in the displays this year though!  Maybe next year.

I forgot to mention that the owner of the Deluxe 40-82 in the picture with the three 1886s passed it around between a few of us to see if we could catch everything that lettered on that one.  I think Chris and I guessed 10 out of 11 or something.  Neat 1886s there this year.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
July 17, 2015 - 2:19 am

Brad,

Excellent summary of the show this year. I would agree that the displays were phenomenal, we had record table sales at 340 as I recall, and the fellowship of the WACA community was something to really feel proud of. Every year I seem to meet more and more outstanding, knowledgeable collectors and realize it is truly a family of good people that all have similar interests and respect for each other. I would join Brad in encouraging you to make the trip if you’ve never been to Cody.

In my quest for 1894 short rifles, I was able to add a dozen more rifles to my survey which is proving to be quite interesting. The best shorty I found was a letterable 18″ 1/2 octagon, 1/2 mag, plain pistol grip, checkered, takedown, with shotgun butt in 30 WCF. Oh, and I should mention the Lyman front and rear sights that letter and a rear sight slot deleted, like Brads ’95. Shame on me, I didn’t get any pictures, nor did I have the funds for this one of a kind rifle with at least 9 special order features.

Since you snuck a picture of me in your article, its only fair that I add one with you included at our table. Brad (the sight guy) is on the right and our good buddy Mark in the middle. Please pay no attention to the large buffalo peaking over Brad’s shoulder.FullSizeRender.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

July 17, 2015 - 2:25 pm

Gary

If you keep posting pictures I’ll have to post the one I took of you putting Tabasco on Bert’s pop can.  Speaking of 1886s, there’s still another one we’ll have to see pictures of sometime….

Regards

Brad Dunbar

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
July 17, 2015 - 4:03 pm

Without a doubt, the Cody show is the place to go to see lots of neat, rare, and fine conditioned Winchesters.  My dad made the show for many years and always told me “the Cody show is the place to go and see the the kinds of guns you don’t normally have the opportunity to see anywhere else”.   That has been my impression of the show both times Ive attended.  The Cody show isnt just about the guns, its also about the folks in attendance.  I had the great pleasure of spending some time with Mark, Brad, Gary, Rusty, Bert, Doug, and many others, “kicking the tires” on a few old guns and to discuss many other Winchester and club related topics.  I’m also appreciative for introductions to the many collectors who made the pilgrimage.   

For someone to say they went to the show and didn’t learn anything new or see anything interesting would likely mean you visited the show while in a coma. 

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
July 17, 2015 - 4:52 pm

Thanks Brad , and other contributors , How were Prices ?

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

July 17, 2015 - 5:45 pm

Phil

Probably more expensive than what you tell me you Canadians pay for gunsLaugh.  Seriously I thought there were some good buys there.  Of course there is a little bit of everything in range of prices.  I thought there were some 1886s that were very good buys.  I would say there was something for everyone there, and there were some really clean, original guns that were priced very reasonable to begin with and no telling what they would have sold for in the end.  These are the guns I looked at anyway, and I didn’t really pay close attention to the prices of the majority of other guns there and those models I wasn’t particularly looking for.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
July 17, 2015 - 6:29 pm

I have to agree with Brad, there was a little bit for everyone and some great deals if you had an eye for them.  The pricing on a lot of guns was fair, others were marked up 20-35% above where they probably should be to move off the table, some were marked up by twice as much as I would be willing to pay–but that’s the norm with any show.    

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
July 18, 2015 - 12:59 am

pdog72 said 

In my quest for 1894 short rifles, I was able to add a dozen more rifles to my survey which is proving to be quite interesting. The best shorty I found was a letterable 18″ 1/2 octagon, 1/2 mag, plain pistol grip, checkered, takedown, with shotgun butt in 30 WCF. Oh, and I should mention the Lyman front and rear sights that letter and a rear sight slot deleted, like Brads ’95. Shame on me, I didn’t get any pictures, nor did I have the funds for this one of a kind rifle with at least 9 special order features.

Update: a friend of mine did get a picture of the 18″ shorty 94 mentioned above:

18-shortie-2.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 508
July 23, 2015 - 10:01 pm

Anyone have the contact info for the dealer who had two M70 short rifles on his table at Cody? If so, please shoot me a pm.

Thanks,

Ted

WACA Member
July 24, 2015 - 1:20 am

pdog72 said

pdog72 said 

Update: a friend of mine did get a picture of the 18″ shorty 94 mentioned above:

18-shortie-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Pdog72, How much were they asking for this short rifle?

Al

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
July 24, 2015 - 2:47 am

Are you sitting down?………………………………… $25k. I truly think it could be a one of kind ’94. But wow, I wasn’t even in the same galaxy for that kind of price.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 508
July 24, 2015 - 3:30 am

Original finish on the wood?

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
July 24, 2015 - 4:00 am

Tedk said

Original finish on the wood?

It appeared to be, but there was some shrinkage at the toe of the buttstock so the plate hung over just a little. It was far from a high condition gun but the configuration was just too cool. When you take it down, the two pieces are about the same length. It was a good example of rarity trumping condition.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
July 24, 2015 - 11:19 am

pdog72 said

Are you sitting down?………………………………… $25k. I truly think it could be a one of kind ’94. But wow, I wasn’t even in the same galaxy for that kind of price.

Holy Moly!  I guess if someone were looking for a one of a kind, that would be the one to buy, and if they have that kind of money.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, mrcvs, sb, clarence, rogertherelic, Shortgrub, Kris Miller
Guest(s) 171
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726