Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1894 Takedown Barrel Verification
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 20, 2019 - 6:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

How can you determine if the takedown barrel on a Winchester Model 1894 is original to the receiver end of the same rifle? 

Are different takedown barrels in the same caliber interchangeable to the receiver end of the same caliber?

Lastly, are takedown barrels of other calibers (specific of course to the calibers originally offered in the Model 1894) interchangeable  to the same rifle?

Thank-you.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
April 21, 2019 - 1:03 am

Winchester offered these extra barrel assemblies for one receiver/buttstock assembly, as special order extras.  I have seen several two barrel sets in the model 1894 and one three barrel set.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
April 21, 2019 - 5:27 am

Winchester did not number the barrel assembly to the receiver on any of the Winchester lever-action rifle models like they did for the shotguns, and slide-action rifles.

For the most part, if you take a take down barrel assembly off of one rifle, it will fit on a different receiver, but not always perfectly.

Winchester made at least (125) Take Down Model 1894 Rifles with multiple barrel assemblies.

Most of the multi-barrel Take Downs can be lettered through the CFM.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
April 21, 2019 - 11:44 am

Bert, WIN4575: Thank-you both very much  for your insight. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
April 21, 2019 - 6:57 pm

Richard – go to the Winter 1996 magazine and you will find a good article entitled “Multiple Barrel Winchesters” – this will give you a lot of good information and answer some of your questions. Also, there is previous discussion on this forum – under Winchester Rifles, Model 1894, 2 barrel set. As Bert Hartman said, any 94 takedown barrel will fit on a 94 take down frame, regardless of caliber. However, my experience is the fit sucks if they did not come from the factory together. Years ago a guy here in Alaska had a fake 5 barrel set and one of the many, many indications of it being fake was the fit – some barrels just did not have the fit Winchester would have assured. I seem to recall some discussion years ago that there would be function problems if you put a smaller caliber rifle barrel like a 25-35 on a larger caliber receiver like a 38-55 (or vice-versa). I believe it had to do with cartridge cycling – Bert would be the one to know, understand and explain this if correct. If you look at the verifiable multi-barrel sets you will see there was never a small/large caliber combination produced. There are no 4 or 5 barrel sets which can be verified by CFM letter.

WACA Member
April 21, 2019 - 10:45 pm

Burt, thank-you! I will look up that article and read it. Question precipitated by a 1921 Model 1894 octagon standard barrel sporting rifle 30 WCF. Takedown barrel retains  >85% blue however, receiver is approximately 60%. Realize this is standard as wear on receiver is always greater than barrel. Most who have seen this platform state  it has a rebarrel?

Bert, as always, thank-you. 

Bert (Hartman), I had sent you the SN etc. on this 1894 previously for your survey. 

RickC
WACA Guest
June 7, 2020 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Burt Humphrey said
Richard – go to the Winter 1996 magazine and you will find a good article entitled “Multiple Barrel Winchesters” – this will give you a lot of good information and answer some of your questions. Also, there is previous discussion on this forum – under Winchester Rifles, Model 1894, 2 barrel set. As Bert Hartman said, any 94 takedown barrel will fit on a 94 take down frame, regardless of caliber. However, my experience is the fit sucks if they did not come from the factory together. Years ago a guy here in Alaska had a fake 5 barrel set and one of the many, many indications of it being fake was the fit – some barrels just did not have the fit Winchester would have assured. I seem to recall some discussion years ago that there would be function problems if you put a smaller caliber rifle barrel like a 25-35 on a larger caliber receiver like a 38-55 (or vice-versa). I believe it had to do with cartridge cycling – Bert would be the one to know, understand and explain this if correct. If you look at the verifiable multi-barrel sets you will see there was never a small/large caliber combination produced. There are no 4 or 5 barrel sets which can be verified by CFM letter.  

If it’s the 5 barrel set from Alaska on page 8 of Bob Renneberg’s 2nd edition, Bob certainly feels it’s authentic as does the CFM.

RickC6331E8F7-9D1C-4AB6-8654-8EF34C5B3A12.jpegImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
June 7, 2020 - 10:17 pm

RickC said

If it’s the 5 barrel set from Alaska on page 8 of Bob Renneberg’s 2nd edition, Bob certainly feels it’s authentic as does the CFM.

RickC6331E8F7-9D1C-4AB6-8654-8EF34C5B3A12.jpegImage Enlarger  

Rick,

Bob Renneberg has since recanted his support for the originality of that faked 5-barrel set.  When I first saw it in person, I too was fooled by it.  After doing some research, it was determined to be a faked set.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

RickC
WACA Guest
June 7, 2020 - 10:30 pm

Bert H. said

Rick,

Bob Renneberg has since recanted his support for the originality of that faked 5-barrel set.  When I first saw it in person, I too was fooled by it.  After doing some research, it was determined to be a faked set.

Bert  

Dang I was amazed at that piece but thanks for clarifying Bert. I do acknowledge his disclaimer for the possibility of omissions & errors.

RickC

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 123
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321