Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1873 receiver stamp
Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1935
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
September 19, 2026 - 3:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Bob,

I’m thinking I need to direct this question directly at you, as I’m sure that you will educate us all on this, or possibly give a refresher course.

Here’s a stamp on the front of a 73 src,first model, with the forearm off, that my eyes don’t want to help me identify.

I’ll add the already talked about,and identified, (“CCC”), with the “punch Dot”, also.

IMG_5233.jpegIMG_5234.jpegIMG_5235.jpegIMG_5235-1.jpegIMG_5232.jpegIMG_5231.jpeg

Any other thoughts or opinions are always welcome. Not sure why the first pics are so large, as I tried to choose a smaller image.

Tony

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Avatar
Jeremy P
The Great State
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1394
Member Since:
April 30, 2023
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2
September 19, 2026 - 4:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like a capital “T” to me, as in Times New Roman font style…

Interestingly, I have an 1866 rifle with two “punch dots” at the muzzle face…no one on here had any ideas as to what they might have been added for…they of course might no be factory either…

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
September 19, 2026 - 4:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have seen the T and P stamped there. They would be inspection stamps just like the French L or the star on the side of the bolt.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1935
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
September 19, 2026 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It sure is a little confusing to me, as I can make a few guesses, and my pictures aren’t really a lot of help, as I was trying to do the best I could. I’ll try to take a closer look next time I get a chance to remove the front forearm gently, and see if I can try to figure out some more about it. Not that it’s gonna change anything, mainly because I’m guessing as you said, it’s some king of inspection marks.

The one punch dot below the three C’s, at the barrel’s point of contact at the receiver, is just as you said to be another type of ins. mark. Two dots on a M-1866, makes me wonder if maybe a second opinion, of another inspector at the time, looked at it and left his mark, for whatever reason. Would have been nice to be a fly on the wall back then and be able to relate the stories back today.

Thanks for you’re input Bob! Smile

Tony

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
September 20, 2026 - 6:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I dug through my parts box and took pictures of the T and P marked receivers.

Bob

IMG_3601.JPEG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1935
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
September 20, 2026 - 11:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Bob,

By you posting those pictures, it sure looks like I can match up my first picture with you’re second picture of the, “T” !

That sure makes a lot more sense to me now. Do we know what those two letters might signify? Another guess on my part would be that an inspectors initials, and now that makes me wonder the time period difference if any between the two different initials. If it helps, the pictures I posted are from September 1875, M-1873, First Model SRC. that has what looks like the, “T”, to me now.

Tony

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
September 20, 2026 - 4:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have seen the P stamped on the bottom of a 76 barrel but not the same style. The P stamp is more common on the 73 receivers. I have seen the T on the second and third model 73’s so it was used for quite a while. I don’t have any idea what the different letters mean or if they were to identify the inspector. 

I just added a post to a old 94 post about a proofed 73 bolt which kind of ties in with this thread.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/oval-p-receiver-stamped-model-94/#p184589

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1935
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
September 20, 2026 - 10:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

1873man said
I have seen the P stamped on the bottom of a 76 barrel but not the same style. The P stamp is more common on the 73 receivers. I have seen the T on the second and third model 73’s so it was used for quite a while. I don’t have any idea what the different letters mean or if they were to identify the inspector. 
I just added a post to a old 94 post about a proofed 73 bolt which kind of ties in with this thread.
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/oval-p-receiver-stamped-model-94/#p184589
Bob
  

Interesting post as I’ll check it out for additional marks or stamps.

Thanks for the info!

Tony

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: keith shaffer, Chris D, Heather, chief1966, Green River Gus, Jeremy P, Bo Rich, Barryf448, Steve72
Guest(s) 265
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7637
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6865
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2739
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2389
Newest Members:
skilsaw7.25
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
E.S.Blofeld
Keith gun
dirkb
Mustang66
Gerald Lucas
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16284
Posts: 149033

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10973
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation