Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
M-1907/M-07 Questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 54
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 28, 2019 - 2:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello WACO members,

Well I have been staring at this months calendar to much.

For a while I have been looking at adding a M-1907 or M-07 depending on the year to my collection. Undecided on plain or fancy finish but I do have a couple of questions I was looking for help on. 

I see that some plain finish models I have been looking at have sling mounts. Some have a butt stock sling swivel but no sling hardware on the forend tip. This makes think that the butt stock swivel was an after market add on utilizing a barrel loop style sling. Or could they have came factory with just a butt stock swivel? I am trying to distinguish what would have been factory supplied versus what would have been an after market add on.

In reference to the police/military models. Some listings describe as having heavy duty forend and butt stock wood. Is this correct and if so are there any other enhancements or differences vs the civilian model. If that is the case are there ways to identify this model version?  

Also I believe it was sometime post war they replaced the circular operating rod tip cap with a hooked operating rod tip. From what I have read easier to cycle, ergonomic in nature. Does anyone know about what year or s/n range they made that change?

Thanks,

Phil 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
July 3, 2019 - 10:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hey Phil did you ever get any answers to your questions ??? I have the same questions after buying a m1907 SL  .351

Mine has a Crown / BNP  proof??? anybody ever heard of a model 1907 with a British Nitro Proof???[Image Can Not Be Found]

here are pics 

Winchester M1907SL .351

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
July 4, 2019 - 12:04 am

Model 1907 rifles were sold to the British during World War I.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
July 4, 2019 - 2:21 am

28 gauge said
 Model 1907 rifles were sold to the British during World War I.  

Do you know of any books or where I can get more info on that??? I saw on Wikipedia they sold 120 guns to the royal air force but that’s all they said? My serial 48807 I believe is post ww1

WACA Guest
July 4, 2019 - 9:15 pm

there are only two books that I know of on the Model 1907.One is out of print and the other I believe ,does have some,but not  a lot of information on the war rifles.

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
July 7, 2019 - 7:37 am

Your rifle was certainly made after WW1. It looks to have the heavier “police” stock and the later knob to the cocking lever. The rifle carries Birmingham commercial proof marks.

Although 120 rifles were supplied to the London Armoury Co in the UK between 1914 and 1916, not all of these went to the military. In fact these rifles were imported commercially by the LAC, with a few being used for aerial gunnery training or air combat. The exact quantity taken into service may never be known but it was not  120.

The LAC had the U.K. agency for Winchester and Colt from 1913, the Winchester agency having been secured by the owner of the LAC prior to this date. Rifles and handguns imported by them will bear London Proof House markings.

The book that covers these rifles along with the 1903, 1905 and 1910 models is, The Forgotten Winchesters by the late John Henwood, published in 1995. Second hand copies are available.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 12:55 pm

Finding a second hand copy of the Henwood book ,can be quite a task.SmileBeen looking for one ,for quite sometime how.My local library, could not even get a copy in for me to read.

The other book is ,”The Winchester Model 1907 Self Loading Rifle”,by L.Speckin.Do have a copy of it.Smile

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
July 9, 2019 - 12:16 am

The Speckin book is very good for those wanting to shoot their rifles. It is essential reading if you plan on completely disassembling the rifle.

It does not cover the history in great detail as this was not the objective of the book.

WACA Guest
July 9, 2019 - 1:00 am

True there is not a lot of history in the Speckin book.It does however have some and is a great book for any one interested in shooting the Model 1907 .Smile

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tony. R, Aussie Chris
Guest(s) 130
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248