Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Colorado Springs 9/16,17,18,19
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 9, 2021 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Do you folks have any comments on that show?  Is it a good one?  It advertises as being geared to toward collectors.  I assume they don’t have a bunch of gutter cap salesmen and jerky sales?

Taos NM
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
September 10, 2021 - 1:49 am

Best show In America–better than Cody……………..

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
September 10, 2021 - 2:04 am

I’ve always wanted to go. Maybe someday.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
September 10, 2021 - 2:18 am

Well dang!  I’m only 80 miles away for decades and go to shows in the Springs all the time and never heard of this.  I need slapped!  Saturday it is.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
September 10, 2021 - 12:56 pm

The Colorado Springs Show is the May Denver Show moved to a new location. If it is attended like Denver it will be good. If it is run like Denver you might want to get there before Saturday, a lot happens during setup. Tulsa is another show that the bargains are sold during setup.  T/R

WACA Guest
September 10, 2021 - 1:18 pm

TR said
 The Colorado Springs Show is the May Denver Show moved to a new location. If it is attended like Denver it will be good. If it is run like Denver you might want to get there before Saturday, a lot happens during setup. Tulsa is another show that the bargains are sold during setup.  T/R  

Thanks for the tip.  It is only open to the public Sat/Sun.  Maybe I should join up and go early if I’m serious about buying.  Hmmm.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
September 10, 2021 - 4:43 pm

I believe that the public can get in on Friday but you may have to buy the 3 day Pass??  This was one of my favorite shows when it was in Denver.  Since this is a smaller venue, will see.  I’ll be there by Thursday afternoon.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
September 10, 2021 - 5:40 pm

Yes, an outstanding show in the past. Seems like 1400 tables when it was in Denver and the same quality as the Cody show. I believe I heard maybe 900 tables in the new temporary venue. Its my understanding that this building may not be the permanent home, but rather what they could get after the Denver Mart got closed due to Covid related bankruptcy. 

I’ll be there Thursday afternoon as well to get set up. Don’t know where my table will be other than I was promised a spot next to a fellow WACA members Winchester 22 rifle display. Should be a hoot.

See attached image with show info.

Capture.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
September 18, 2021 - 8:41 pm

Now THAT”S what I’m talking about!  I’m going to quit wasting my time going to all the rinky dink black plastic shows I’ve been going to, all in the futile hopes of seeing a decent gun.  I went to this show this morning and my eyes were overblown with eye candy.  Winchesters and Colts all over the damn place!  I thought they were all gone, or getting doled out piece meal on the interwebs.  But they are still alive and kicking.  Pricey, but kicking.

I didn’t buy anything but I probably could have if I was up for negotiation.  I did, however, realize that my recent idea of getting one of each lever model is not what I want to do.  I’m just not into 76s, from an esthetic point of view, and 92s and 95s are well after the frontier was closed.  Besides, even though the 94 is very handsome, I think I’ll just stick to 66s and 73s.  And I need a Henry.

Anyway, I was very pleased.  Now I know what I’ve been missing.  Great show, at least for my virgin eyes.  Guns shows used to be like that growing up.

WACA Member
September 18, 2021 - 10:28 pm

Huck.

If you liked that show you should try Tulsa. T/R

WACA Guest
September 18, 2021 - 10:48 pm

TR said
 Huck.

If you liked that show you should try Tulsa. T/R  

Thanks, I might do that, now that I’m “retired”.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
September 19, 2021 - 2:39 am

Until last year, I have had tables at the Denver show for 27 years.  Didn’t  make  it  this time because too much other stuff happening in September.  Show will be in the same venue in 2022, but it will be in May.  Much better for me.  I already have my tables reserved.

WACA Member
September 20, 2021 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I had a great time at the show and actually bought a couple guns.  To me gun shows are not all about the guns.  I have made a lot of friends over the last 30+ years and the shows are many times the only place I get to seem some of them.

This show was still plenty large but not completely filled.  Most locals we talked with did not even know there was a gun show going on.  I also heard that there was some type of gun show going on in Denver too?  The most difficult thing for most of my friends was that we had never been in this area and didn’t know about the hotels and restaurants.  The GPS in my rent a car was terrible.

Wherever the show is next year I will be there.  If here I’ll be 1 year smarter.

Reno is this weekend I believe.  I will be in Vegas in January.  Tulsa in the fall is always a bad time for me.  Holidays, birthdays and hunting season.  The winter Big Reno show has always been a good show.

WACA Member
September 20, 2021 - 5:26 pm

426crown said
Best show In America–better than Cody……………..  

Cody is a great show and I love it.  But…. There are quite a few shows that are just as good and 4 to 5 times larger.  Cody is our Club show so you really can’t compare this to other shows.

WACA Member
September 21, 2021 - 1:54 am

Good report, Chuck. Thanks. I’ve never enjoyed spending time in Denver but Colorado Springs is more my speed. Reno show is another one on my bucket list but unless I fly it will have to wait until I retire, just a little too far from my little spot on the prairie. Hope to see some of y’all at the TGCA show in Denton, TX next month. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
September 22, 2021 - 7:04 pm

TXGunNut said
Good report, Chuck. Thanks. I’ve never enjoyed spending time in Denver but Colorado Springs is more my speed. Reno show is another one on my bucket list but unless I fly it will have to wait until I retire, just a little too far from my little spot on the prairie. Hope to see some of y’all at the TGCA show in Denton, TX next month. 

Mike  

The winter Reno show is the best of the 3.  WACA used to participate a lot more than they do now.  I’ve been to the TGCA a few times but not for some time.  When you can you need to go to Vegas usually in late January.  In size it compares to the winter Reno and the old Denver shows.

Huck, you need to get to these.

WACA Guest
September 22, 2021 - 10:15 pm

Chuck said

The winter Reno show is the best of the 3.  WACA used to participate a lot more than they do now.  I’ve been to the TGCA a few times but not for some time.  When you can you need to go to Vegas usually in late January.  In size it compares to the winter Reno and the old Denver shows.

Huck, you need to get to these.  

I’ve never been to the Tulsa, Cody, Vegas or Denver shows, but I did go to Reno one year several (10?) years ago.  From what I recall it was not as full of eye candy as the recent Colorado Springs Show.  I only recall two two rooms that were not that large, but it is entirely possible that I missed something.

I do like the town of Cody, I have friends there, and the museum is great.  I’d like to make a show but I’ve always been working.  Not any more!  Maybe next summer.

I’ve been told to gain membership and then go on the non-public days for the deals.  How does that work?  Why deal with dealers instead of charging full freight to the public?  Unfortunately, I’ve never been much of a negotiator.  It’s a personality flaw of mine.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
September 22, 2021 - 11:22 pm

I’ve been to the Reno show when Lou was running it.  Great show back then.  Vegas is a good show, but very expensive and at least for me, very difficult to get a deal.  Cody is a great show, because I get to visit with my friends, buy and sell some stuff and the town is a blast.   The Denver CGCA show for me is the best.  Far more dealers and tons of great stuff.   It’s also a great place to visit with my friends.  Never been to Tulsa, too far away.  Used to go to the Great Western in Pomona, had a wonderful time, but that’s history.

WACA Member
September 23, 2021 - 2:20 am

Tulsa is the biggest gun show in the world, over 4000 tables. Anyone can get a table. Mom and Pop can buy a table, throw a blanket on it, and cash in on their collection. The show is 11 acres under one roof, way to big for dealers to dominate. The deals are on Friday during setup. Saturday and Sunday you have to work the room to find a deal. It’s hard to see the trees for the forest.

Sharp aggressive buyers do well buying on Friday. Tables are constantly changing, guns are coming out of cases, and people are selling to get money to buy. Friday is the day. T/R   

WACA Member
September 23, 2021 - 12:58 pm

Seems to be the pattern at the little collector shows too, TR. First day is a big day. I’ve never really wanted to take on the Tulsa challenge. Too many guns, too many tables. If I were looking for something in particular I’d give it some thought but in my case I’d be frustrated because I’d never be able to see it all at a pace I’m comfortable with. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 231
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323