Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
ADVICE: Used Winchester 700 ADL .270
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2020 - 9:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

It’s pretty hard these days to get a decent centerfire rifle for $325  I don’t think you have much to lose, at that price you should easily be able to recoup your money or close to it if you don’t like it or it won’t shoot. (accurately)

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 22, 2020 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

700 ADL would be a Remington.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 22, 2020 - 11:32 pm

Old Logger said
700 ADL would be a Remington.  

Bingo.  I was gonna say . . .

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 52
January 22, 2020 - 11:51 pm

Yup!! I flubbed that one up. Had Winchester on the brain and didn’t even think about it. LOL

Thanks for not beating me up

bill

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 972
January 23, 2020 - 1:10 am

Hey Bill-

Not to worry!!!

Not too long ago I bought my oldest son a new Remington ADL (30-06 – not 270 WIN) when he wanted (or I decided he needed – can’t remember which???) a utilitarian hunting rifle.  Recent manufacture, synthetic stock.  At retail I paid about twice the price you quoted…

That danged modern Remington of Ryan’s (my son) shoots really well… (I know it’s blasphemy to even write the “R” word here!!!  Bert Forgive me!!!) .  As good as (maybe a bit better than) the (refinished) 1950 vintage pre-64 standard I use as my utilitarian hunting gun.  I’d have no problem with a Remington ADL, and no qualms about beating it up instead of a C&R relic…

Best,

Lou

WACA 9519; Studying Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

WACA Guest
January 23, 2020 - 2:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

They can’t be too bad.  The Corps had them as M-40 Sniper (7.62mm) Rifles back in my day.  I’ve got BDL in ’06 that has done well.  Though I’ve been leery about the unintentional discharge issue ever since I heard about it.  I’m an archery/muzzle loader guy for hunting though, so I usually just plink with it now and then.  It’s good out to at least one kick.

WACA Guest
January 23, 2020 - 3:58 am

Louis Luttrell said
a utilitarian hunting rifle.  …  I’d have no problem with a Remington ADL, and no qualms about beating it up instead of a C&R relic…

Thanks for the reply Lou. That pretty much what I was looking at it for a Truck Rifle and the price looks right. I finished the Model 70 Pre-64 and now I don’t want to beat the bush with her LOL; scrub and manzanita would do a number on the wood. Shes reserved for nicer open landscapes.

WACA Guest
January 23, 2020 - 4:00 am

Huck Riley said
Though I’ve been leery about the unintentional discharge issue ever since I heard about it.  

Huck, ACK! I have not read or heard about this issue. Wonder if there is a recall.

Thanks for the heads-up

WACA Guest
January 23, 2020 - 4:19 am

[email protected] said

Huck, ACK! I have not read or heard about this issue. Wonder if there is a recall.

Thanks for the heads-up  

They probably fixed on the new guns, I hope.  Mine is about 40 years old.  I saw a thing on 60 Minutes a few years ago.  I’ve never taken it in but I hear they will do something if you do.  I might, someday.  Apparently it’s a quick, cheap fix, even if you pay out of pocket.  Be careful, be safe.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 23, 2020 - 4:19 am

[email protected] said

Thanks for the heads-up  

The recall has been going on for years. I think it only affects the ones with a smooth trigger. My brother had one that discharged at a very bad time. He was hunting goats and had just got back down to the beach. He had fallen and plugged the barrel of his 7mm. Well, now there is a brown bear coming his way. He was going to open the action and get the barrel cleaned before the bear got to close to him. He released the safety and the gun fired. Of course this wasn’t good for the barrel. The bear wasn’t too disturbed by all this so he chambered another round thinking even with the barrel screwed at the end, he better be ready. The bear finally left. The rifle was never the same.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Guest
January 23, 2020 - 6:23 am

Old Logger said

The recall has been going on for years. I think it only affects the ones with a smooth trigger. 

Huck Riley said 

They probably fixed on the new guns, I hope.  Mine is about 40 years old.  I saw a thing on 60 Minutes a few years ago.  I’ve never taken it in but I hear they will do something if you do.  I might, someday.  Apparently it’s a quick, cheap fix, even if you pay out of pocket.  Be careful, be safe.  

Looks like it was the XMP triggers and like Old Logger said the smooth trigger. If it was fixed then there should be a punch mark on the bolt release. Something I’m going to ask about, the upside is the fix is free if I can get the seller to cover shipping if it does have the issue.  

https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/remington-model-700-and-model-seven-notice

Thanks for all the help

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Byron Russell, TR, JTh8su
Guest(s) 94
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280