Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1948 Winchester model 94 unwanted receiver holes
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 3, 2019 - 5:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Greetings from gun friendly Nevada. Im new and trying out this experienced sight forum for some direction ideas. I have just purchased via auction a 94 30WCF built in 48 and in vg condition, nice wood, ex. bore, flat band etc. The down side by me are two very unwanted Williams scope mount holes. After watching a few videos on TIG welding the holes and knocking it down to flush and of course doing a proper reblue. So I see that it can be made to appear unmolested. Now I have the capabilities but not the experience. If anyone can recommend a gunsmith or shop to do this for me or other suggestions on what I may do myself would be appreciated. The carbine was a good buy and I have the money to do the repair unless of course I have to borrow against the house. Thanks for any input. Roger L.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
July 3, 2019 - 5:12 pm

Roger,

Unless you paid < $200 for it, you will be in the hole after paying to have it welded and refinished. Typically, it never pays off to spend money fixing someone else’s mistake. Model 94 Flat-band Carbines are very common, and usually relatively inexpensive. Further, once a Winchester has been molested and is no longer factory original, there is nothing that can be done to make it original again, or collectable.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
July 3, 2019 - 6:49 pm

Thanks Bert, I figured this would be my top response being a gun guy, collector and shooter. This 94 is a keeper and not for flipping, its a personal issue that I don’t carry someone else’s negligence in drilling this fine carbine. So many ruined this way, and I could never process a scoped 94, why?  Still open for modifying suggestions the two holes or referrals to who will. Thank you again, Roger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
July 4, 2019 - 2:27 pm

Roger,

You are on the right track for the repair. I don’t try and fill a hole with tig, it’s much easier to put a plug screw in it set at the proper depth to be flush with the inside of the receiver. Then TIG weld the plug screw into the receiver. A few passes on a surface grinder, hit it with the appropriate size grits for blending, a trip to the blueing tank and you are good to go.

Erin

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
July 4, 2019 - 3:05 pm

Roger, I will also guess that you, or your welder will never be successful in welding up the hole, re-bluing the frame and not being able to see where it was. The hole, however slight, will be a different color of bluing that the frame because you are dealing with two different types of metal. I would not waste the money trying it for that reason. If you don’t like the gun as it is, sell it and start fresh. Did you buy it knowing about the holes? Peter

WACA Guest
July 4, 2019 - 3:06 pm

Thanks Erin for that info. I recently watched a YouTube video of Midways Larry Potterfield reaming the screw hole then using oval head screws. He would anneal the screw and tightly screw in followed by peening the head flat and knocking it down flat with files and abrasive cloth. Have you heard or seen this concept?  Roger

WACA Guest
July 4, 2019 - 3:11 pm

Peter, no I did not, the image was not supplied of that side nor was it mentioned.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
July 4, 2019 - 3:23 pm

To bad about that Roger. Gotta watch it out there and ask lots of questions BEFORE purchasing. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: antler1, Randycrockett
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160