Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 winchester i bought today, kind of odd, help please
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 172
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 5, 2017 - 6:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hmmm, the above rifle visually appears to have dimensions strikingly similar to my sn 827988 short rifle (1918).  Is that forearm long or short?  Buttstock is fluted at comb which is unlike any “rifle” I’ve seen except Mod 64s and 71s…but I haven’t seen them all.  Has it been changed?  Is it a carbine buttstock?  I’m asking because I’d like to learn.  If only I could afford to do it, I would reblue mine so it’s real shiny, add a gold kit and then go out and shoot it until I’m silly.1918-Mod-94-short-rifle.JPGImage Enlarger

(No offense to anyone because I’m just having some fun late on Independence Day.)

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
July 5, 2017 - 7:33 pm

FromTheWoods said
[email protected] said
“I bought an 1894 Winchester in 30 wcf, ser#3783xx puts it in 1906 I believe, it has an 20 inch octagon barrel with rifle buttplate. the odd thing is the hammer, trigger, loading gate,butt plate, and the mag tube holder are all it seems to be gold or brass plated, all of the gold shows a lot of wear. what the heck do I have?”

———————-

—“What the heck do I have?” seems to be your original question.  “What the heck” you have was more than adequately answered by mrcvs.

——————-

“thanks but the Winchester dates of manufacture puts it in late 1906
I kinda figured someone had modified it, already knew it was reblued
but I think it was worth the 6 hundred I paid, beautiful rifle”

———————-

“well I like it and I think it is well worth the money I paid, sorry if it doesn’t meet the expectations of all you purists. I am gonna get my 600’s worth out of it in pleasure and as I was only seeking information about make and year I didn’t need to be ridiculed. don’t think I will bee back to visit a bunch of jerks”

“you are the jerk I was talking about, everyone else is ok”  —You point at mrcvs.    

Dwade, do you notice that you labeled more members than just mrcvs as being a jerk?

You didn’t ask about the year, though when your error in the date was pointed out to you as a courtesy, you corrected the member who offered you the true year of manufacture.  The “make”–it is a Winchester Model 1894.

I agree, you are a tad touchy about something. 

Without me being a “jerk,” I’d venture to suggest that you are enamored with the added glitz to your Winchester.  Perhaps you were posting in order to show others how fetching your firearm is in its present configuration, and expecting folks here to compliment you on your gun’s make-over, and in addition to that, tell you what a dandy price you snagged it for.

Your entrance into this forum is tarnished with the inaccuracies in your posts and definitely darkened by the insults you have leveled on members.  These members are experts regarding all facets of Winchesters.  We are fortunate they share their wisdom with us; such a generous gift.  And unlike you, they form their responses in a conscientious, kind, and respectful manner.

I’d further suggest–and if you perceive that I, too, am being a “jerk,” well, I don’t really care what you think of me–I suggest you owe these members an apology. 

Thank you, FromTheWoods!

The OP wanted to know what he had, and asked for help. I tell it like it is! No sense telling someone they did really well so that they can repeat the same error.

I have a thick skin, and if someone wants to call me a jerk, or worse, that’s okay. However, I would like to think my expertise was of value, rather than being chewed out for telling the truth.

Let’s see if an apology is forthcoming.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
July 6, 2017 - 12:31 am

“. . . and shoot it until I’m silly.”  You seem plenty “silly” already, Bruce.  A few more shots, and your wit would be sharper than Santa’s razor!

You are welcome, MRCVS.  Your expertise is appreciated.  Speaking Truth seems to be a rare approach in the current state of communication.  Some of us, though, do still prefer it.

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
July 6, 2017 - 4:52 am

Hey, this thread became a very sensitive matter so I thought I’d try to add some levity.  That rifle is damn ugly.  It looks like it could have been a real short rifle that’s been tampered with, and that’s a shame.  I wish the original poster would take some measurements but as the French c’est, “say la vie.”  We’ve all made mistakes and I probably more than most when it came to US service rifles.  A scoundrel is SoCA took me to school on 3 of em when I was a novice.  I owned up to my mistakes and shoved them to the back of the vault.  If the O P likes his rifle, then good for him since that’s better than agonizing the way I have.  Now, does anyone know where I can get a cheap blue refinish and gilding???? 

BK

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
July 6, 2017 - 5:02 am

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughNever mind, I blued it myself but decided to not gild it…not bad for a beginner, huh?Model-92-short-rifle-44-cal.JPGImage Enlarger 010.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
July 6, 2017 - 10:00 am

Wow! Great job!  Took the edges off the octagon barrel and made the rifle look like a whole new model!

You must have been a Wizard in your Life-Before.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
July 6, 2017 - 8:15 pm

Since some of you guys are into posting “beautiful” Winchesters posing with beautiful cars lately, I can only picture that OP rifle strewn across the hood of this beauty!

1bc62b8ba198d9e6ae42731795daf00d.jpgImage Enlarger

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
July 6, 2017 - 9:51 pm

OMG, I’m LMAO!  Thanks for that.

California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
July 7, 2017 - 2:16 am

Fantastic combo !!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
July 10, 2017 - 3:59 am

FromTheWoods said

I’d further suggest–and if you perceive that I, too, am being a “jerk,” well, I don’t really care what you think of me–I suggest you owe these members an apology.  

Well, I guess we are all still “jerks” as no apology has been tendered…yet.

WACA Guest
July 10, 2017 - 9:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Yup–Jerks one and all.

Thought I heard a door slamming shut on the first page.  Even with that, there was a chance he’d stick his head back in for his final “What For,” and maybe catch a glimpse of himself in the mirror.  Oh well.  I’ll get the red lipstick and scrawl “JERK” on the mirror, so we can admire ourselves complete with our new status.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 110
July 10, 2017 - 2:53 pm

http://i63.tinypic.com/x1y24y.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
July 10, 2017 - 5:50 pm

Whoa!  10,000 BC!  Proves dwade’s assertion!  My, oh my; egg all over my face!  –May I keep the lipstick anyway?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2295