Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 magaze tube hanger dovetail oversized.
Avatar
acre5
Member
WACA Guest

WACA Guest

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
Member Since:
June 27, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
January 29, 2026 - 11:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello , I just obtained a an Oct. barrel for a 1894 rifle . The dovetail for the mag. tube hanger is .866 ” wide . All of my tube hangers are .710 ” are there wider size magazine tube hangers? The twist dove tail looks to be original and cut correctly. Any help would be appreaciated. 

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2390
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
February 1, 2026 - 12:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I don’t have direct knowledge but I just put the question to Gemini Pro and got enough education on the subject to understand there have been two magazine ring dovetail designs, the earlier one designed to rotate in and a later one that slides in. 

The most useful information I learned is the name “T. D. Gun Parts” – that manufactures good reproduction parts, including various magazine rings, at reasonable prices on eBay. There are others and I’d bet most of them know what part you need. 

I needed a barrel tension screw assembly for a Model 70 Super Grade, found one of these guys on eBay and contacted him. He was knowledgeable and solved my problem. 

Perhaps this will help a little.

EDIT:  I believe there are rings of different sizes, depending on caliber. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
1892takedown
South Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1173
Member Since:
March 20, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
February 1, 2026 - 1:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

acre5 said
Hello , I just obtained a an Oct. barrel for a 1894 rifle . The dovetail for the mag. tube hanger is .866 ” wide . All of my tube hangers are .710 ” are there wider size magazine tube hangers? The twist dove tail looks to be original and cut correctly. Any help would be appreaciated. 
  

The standard (and only one kind I know of) magazine tube retaining band for an 1894 measures 0.455″ wide by 0.825″ at the long axis.  Regarding the dovetail, the dimensions given are a bit confusing, depending on where your measuring from (inside cut of the dovetail, or dovetail opening at the barrel flat).  Inside diameter should be 0.650″.  Good luck.  

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2390
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
February 1, 2026 - 1:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t doubt there’s but one magazine ring for the 1894 rifle and its variants. The 1873 and 1992 use more than one size, depending on caliber. This suggests the OP has rings for other than the 1894. 

With your specs in hand, he should be able to find a good original or repro part from onevofvthe dealers like Homestead, etc. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: wally, antler1, David Eckstine, Louis Luttrell, Nevada Paul, Tony Ford, MidwestCrisis
Guest(s) 145
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7637
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6865
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2739
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2390
Newest Members:
skilsaw7.25
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
E.S.Blofeld
Keith gun
dirkb
Mustang66
Gerald Lucas
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16284
Posts: 149039

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10974
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation