Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1876 graduated tang FS
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 26, 2018 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

8EE2AD8D-41DA-4D9D-8663-108D6BF026CE.jpegImage Enlarger

hello, moderators if this is not appropriate please delete. I am interested in this type of high base sight to fill out a 76 that I have; however, in my limited experience the numbers an the staff and knurling on the disc do not look period to me. eBay 253998424471.  Any comments are appreciated. Regards Cc 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 588
November 26, 2018 - 10:29 pm

CPC and others,

I have a thick base, graduated peep for an 1876 that looks essentially the same as depicted.  However, I am notoriously unable to detect great details from photos, so may be missing something here.  The photo does seem to show the area with the graduations as being polished of blue, to my eyes (complete with cataracts), where mine seems to be blue with mixed “patina”.  I should think the underside would be most telling as it ought to be stamped with the model on the spring.  I would defer to those who have the ability to manipulate photos, though, and see what I often am unable to see!

Tim

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
November 26, 2018 - 11:26 pm

I saw that one on Ebay and from what I see the thumb screw is a repo, it should have fine checkering not separations and the numbers on the staff are not Winchester. I believe they put the elevation marks and numbers on with a single die so the marks and numbers are the same depth. This one the numbers are much deeper and not aligned correctly like they were hand stamped. I do not like the finish of the base either.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
November 27, 2018 - 3:16 am

1873man said
I saw that one on Ebay and from what I see the thumb screw is a repo, it should have fine checkering not separations and the numbers on the staff are not Winchester. I believe they put the elevation marks and numbers on with a single die so the marks and numbers are the same depth. This one the numbers are much deeper and not aligned correctly like they were hand stamped. I do not like the finish of the base either.

Bob  

CPC, The thumb screw is either repo or for a thin base, the screw is short and serrated instead of knurled. The staff cut in the center should be either round or square on the bottom, I have never seen the style of cut shown in the EBAY picture. T/R 

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
November 27, 2018 - 4:46 am

Does the staff spring on the underside of the base, have any numbers on it?  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
November 27, 2018 - 4:50 am

Here is the link to it.

graduated-tang-sight

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
November 29, 2018 - 12:13 am

Thank you all for the informative answers and comments. I don’t have access to my Gordon’s book but there are some decent photos in there and I believe the numbers should be sort of serifed on that early of a sight. For example the 2 has a straight bottom and on the ones I have seen or examined and thought to be real have a little curl to the bottom of the numbers. I continue to wait, this one just had the right characteristics and finish to complete my 76 so I was interested. Regards and thanks again 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
November 29, 2018 - 3:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

CPC, The base looks right, but staff and thumb screw doesn’t, good eye on the 2. The two usually has a wiggle on the bottom on a thick base and no blue in the back ground. The tell is the price, real in that condition is around $1000. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Tom D
Guest(s) 143
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250