Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 musket
Avatar
William Glass
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
July 18, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
February 6, 2025 - 1:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have this 1873 that Cody says is right #367998. I have been told most were sold out of country and reimported. I do not find any import marks but there is a

B stamped after the serial #? looks to be all there and right except for the dust cap that looks to be repop.

Bill

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
February 6, 2025 - 1:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill,

Not all muskets were exported. I have seen plenty of them with no import stamps. The B stamp behind the serial number is minor mechanical change. If you post a picture of the dust cover we can see what the dust cover looks like.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
William Glass
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
July 18, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
February 6, 2025 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here you go. This is one I would call a closet gun (put in closet and forgot about). all I have done is lite coat oil and pull butt plate. as i expected rusty under which i cleaned up. One Question did these all come with a cleaning set? if so what kind of one.

BillDSCN0846.JPGDSCN0845.JPGDSCN0844.JPG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Avatar
Maverick
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2232
Member Since:
May 23, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
February 6, 2025 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re correct, in that the dust cover is a reproduction.

It likely had a cleaning rod with it. As far as a “cleaning set” goes, I don’t know what or if Winchester would of provided a cleaning set. But they sold in the catalogs everything needed to clean a firearm. I don’t recall ever seeing anything comprising a “set” as put out by Winchester. But I could be wrong on that point.

Nice 3rd Model Musket you have there.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
February 6, 2025 - 9:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A musket would have a 5 piece cleaning rod.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: cj57, TR, [email protected], Pwog, Max, Hotchkiss10
Guest(s) 659
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7640
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3069
twobit: 2740
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Anthony Eisenlohr
kik595
DavidM
skilsaw7.25
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16296
Posts: 149138

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10983
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation