Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1866 -1876 Lever and Carrier Adjustment
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 24, 2020 - 6:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I know we have kicked this around before but I ran across some Winchester data that I had not seen before. 

In the 1871 Winchester catalog on about page 63 (page not numbered) under Directions then To Stiffen the Spring it states, “There are three springs that may lose their tension by long use, viz: the “main spring,” the spring that holds up the finger lever, called the “finger lever spring,” and the spring that holds up the carrier level block, called the “carrier level spring.” Each of these has a set screw, the heads of which are outside on the under side of the frame; by turning these up the tension can be increased to the necessary strength or stiffness”.

This indicates you can tighten these as needed and therefore they were not designed to be tightened all the way but only as much as needed.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
January 24, 2020 - 8:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The only one that has the set screw is the main spring. The others is just the screw that holds it in and I have never found one loose. What happens to the carrier spring is the end of the spring wears out and the lever spring wear out as well as the cam on the lever.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
January 24, 2020 - 10:24 pm

1873man said
The only one that has the set screw is the main spring. The others is just the screw that holds it in and I have never found one loose. What happens to the carrier spring is the end of the spring wears out and the lever spring wear out as well as the cam on the lever.

Bob  

So Winchester is wrong?  What I stated came directly from the catalog except for my initial sentence and the last sentence.  Winchester calls them set screws. The screws should not be loose because they are putting pressure against the springs.  I can’t argue about what wears out.   A lot of people think these screws should be all the way in, but this isn’t the case unless everything is worn out or over tightened.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 24, 2020 - 10:37 pm

If that is what Winchester stated they are wrong. The only spring that has a set screw or tension screw is the main spring. It is just ahead of the spring retaining screw. The other two spring just have one screw that holds the spring in. Someone on here said its was written that they left the screw a little loose and tightened them up when you needed to increase the spring tension.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
January 25, 2020 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

1873man said
If that is what Winchester stated they are wrong. The only spring that has a set screw or tension screw is the main spring. It is just ahead of the spring retaining screw. The other two spring just have one screw that holds the spring in. Someone on here said its was written that they left the screw a little loose and tightened them up when you needed to increase the spring tension.

Bob  

This is a direct quote from a Winchester document dated 1871.  Anyone that has the 12 Volume set can look this up in Vol I in the second document.

“There are three springs that may lose their tension by long use, viz: the “main spring,” the spring that holds up the finger lever, called the “finger lever spring,” and the spring that holds up the carrier level block, called the “carrier level spring.” Each of these has a set screw, the heads of which are outside on the under side of the frame; by turning these up the tension can be increased to the necessary strength or stiffness“.

If Winchester says these are set screws and that they are for adjusting the tension that is what I would call them and how I would use them.  Old wives tales sometimes die hard.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 26, 2020 - 12:28 am

I don’t know what to say. The catalog contradicts itself. In the 1871 catalog the parts lists does not list any set screws. It lists the main spring set screw as the strain screw and the carrier lever spring screw and the finger lever spring screw. No mention of a set screw

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
January 26, 2020 - 2:47 am

1873man said
I don’t know what to say. The catalog contradicts itself. In the 1871 catalog the parts lists does not list any set screws. It lists the main spring set screw as the strain screw and the carrier lever spring screw and the finger lever spring screw. No mention of a set screw

Bob  

I’ll have to go back and look at the whole thing again, but I’m sure you are right.  When I posted this topic months ago we started out talking about the function of whatever one chooses to call these screws.  I had never heard the term set screw before. There are many out there that can solve carrier alignment and lever droop problems with the better understanding on how the adjustments can be made. That was my intention.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 26, 2020 - 2:53 am

When I looked the statement about adjusting the set screws started early with the 1865 catalog which would of been the Henry and went on into the 73’s

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
January 26, 2020 - 8:13 pm

Bob, I didn’t go back that far.  I stumbled across this statement in the 1871 catalog while looking for something else.  This would have been for a Henry or a 66.  I believe the adjustments are the same for the Henry through the 76. I was taught that these 2 screws were for adjusting but had no written proof until now.  Most of us will not use our guns enough to wear out our parts but I still loosen the screws and readjust as necessary when I get a new gun for my collection. If the screws are all the way tightened and you have a problem you may have to change parts. There is no good reason to have excessive pressure on any spring.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 33wcf, JWA, deerhunter, clarence, Tedk
Guest(s) 141
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6369
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4251