Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Colt 1911 Question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2295
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 3, 2020 - 1:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good morning,

Yeah, I know it isn’t a Winchester but just a little curious about this pistol.  I am betting that there is a person or two in this forum who is familiar with these.  My father shot one all the time during his military career and just loved them.  So I am “kind of thinking” it might be nice to own one and carry on the tradition.  Therefore I need some input on this one listed on Gunbroker.  Is it truly all original as claimed and what might be the reasonable value of it?  I appreciate your help.  https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/859435808

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2344
March 3, 2020 - 4:28 pm

twobit said
Good morning,

Yeah, I know it isn’t a Winchester but just a little curious about this pistol.  I am betting that there is a person or two in this forum who is familiar with these.  My father shot one all the time during his military career and just loved them.  So I am “kind of thinking” it might be nice to own one and carry on the tradition.  Therefore I need some input on this one listed on Gunbroker.  Is it truly all original as claimed and what might be the reasonable value of it?  I appreciate your help.  https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/859435808

Michael  

Nice old workhorse. Those old m1911A1 Colts are bringing big bucks. I have one a little earlier, 870661, that has the matching numbered slide and is a 99% pistol. It’s probably worth $3,000 today as it is a Ithaca duplicate serial number. I would guesstimate this one close to $1,500 – $2,000. It appears to be all matching and may have a serialized slide. A bonus. As many as were made, nice ones are getting harder to find.   Big Larry

Rural Nevada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 66
March 3, 2020 - 5:16 pm

If this example is all original and intact, as the description claims,  it will likely bring a premium due to the war era vintage. 

If that is important to you then no problem.  However if you want a shooter you should be able to find post war examples for less.

I have a Series 70 which I love. For many years I claimed that it would be the gun I’d keep if I could have only 1. It would still be among the last to go.

Nevada Paul

Life Member NRA

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2295
March 3, 2020 - 5:28 pm

Thanks to both for the replies.  I will keep and eye on it and decide how badly I need/want it!!  I just purchased a new thermal rifle scope and that ate up a pretty good chunk of my “discretionary spending” budget.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
March 3, 2020 - 7:03 pm

Nevada Paul said 
However if you want a shooter you should be able to find post war examples for less.

A lot less, & with better sights & trigger, & internal changes that create better accuracy.  So many companies now making 1911 clones, it’s amazing they can all find enough customers to stay in business. 

An unmodified service 1911 is a keepsake & a collector’s item, fun to pop off a few rounds for the “historical experience,” but for serious shooting…not really.

WACA Member
March 3, 2020 - 10:06 pm

clarence said

A lot less, & with better sights & trigger, & internal changes that create better accuracy.  So many companies now making 1911 clones, it’s amazing they can all find enough customers to stay in business. 

An unmodified service 1911 is a keepsake & a collector’s item, fun to pop off a few rounds for the “historical experience,” but for serious shooting…not really.  

Cannot agree with you Clarence. All my Dads USMC gold medals from 1952 were won with a stock M1911A1 service pistol and 1943 steel case bullets. In those days, no modifications were allowed. You took your place on the firing line and there were 50 rds. ammo and a M1911A1 pistol. Things were much harder in those days to go gold. I have all my Dads gold medals.    Big Larry

NY
WACA Member
March 3, 2020 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Big Larry said

Cannot agree with you Clarence. All my Dads USMC gold medals from 1952 were won with a stock M1911A1 service pistol and 1943 steel case bullets. In those days, no modifications were allowed.

But Larry, if no mods were allowed, & everyone was shooting the “same” pistol, then it was strictly a test of marksmanship (as it should be), not of the gun itself.  The reason unmodified A1s bring as much as they now do is because “accurizing” them used to be the bread & butter work of scores of post-war pistolsmiths.  The one I’ve got is probably more reliable under adverse conditions than my Gold Cup, but it’s no joy to shoot.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
March 3, 2020 - 10:54 pm

twobit said
Good morning,

Michael  

Get Edward Scott Meadows book. U.S. Military Automatic Pistols Vol II for WWII era.  It is way cheaper than Clauson’s book.  I have Vol I for the WWI guns.  Don’t jump in until you get some education……

This is a good buy.  Shop around and you will see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Military-Automatic-Pistols-Vol-2-1920-1945-by-Edward-Scott-Meadows/323941024646?hash=item4b6c63c386:g:yd8AAOSwcUBYLlQX

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
March 4, 2020 - 3:27 am

Michael,

At the current Bid amount, it is a steal.  As it approaches $2K, it is a fair deal.  If you want to just go completely crazy, then look for one like mine (pictured below).

Bert

Colt-1911-Factory-Letter.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1412.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1413.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1414.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1417.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1418.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1418-1.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1420.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1421.jpgImage EnlargerCropped-DSCN1422.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
March 4, 2020 - 3:49 am

Not a Colt collector but I’d be a buyer at this price and quite possibly somewhat higher. My duty gun for over 20 years was a custom Model 70 and I still carry a 1911 when I can. Someday I’d like to add a gun like this to my collection and you can bet your last dollar I’d shoot it, as is, quite possibly with vintage milsurp ammo. My running buddy was born in 1943, you might want to buy it before he sees it. He already has the 1943 ammo.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
March 4, 2020 - 5:10 pm

Bert H. said
Michael,

At the current Bid amount, it is a steal.  As it approaches $2K, it is a fair deal.  If you want to just go completely crazy, then look for one like mine (pictured below).

Bert

Colt-1911-Factory-Letter.jpgImage Enlarger 

Bert, really nice 1911.  A early gun and a Navy. Both will bring a big premium as you know.  I have a little later gun that shipped to the US Government, Bush Terminal, Brooklyn New York, for American Expeditionary Forces, 6/12/18.  Mike you still need to get the book.  There are a lot of parts guns out there and when you buy a US Property gun you want to make sure all the parts and inspector marks are correct.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 119
March 5, 2020 - 5:37 am

I think that the 1911a1 in the GB auction looks good and if taken at the sellers word is believable for being all correct.  They mentioned the touch up on the slide and show good pics of everything. 

All that being said,  I think the damage to the frame under the slide stop and on the mainspring housing along with the sloppy inspectors mark would start to bother you after the excitement of owning it toned down.  I’d rather spend the extra for an example with just wear;  damage bothers me.

Bert,  that US Navy is a dream.  I have a commercial from the same time and of similar condition.  What a great feeling gun.

NY
WACA Member
March 5, 2020 - 5:33 pm

jban said
I think the damage to the frame under the slide stop and on the mainspring housing along with the sloppy inspectors mark would start to bother you after the excitement of owning it toned down.  

About the time you received your bank or credit card statement reminding you of what you paid for it.  I’m still rather flabbergasted that garden-variety A1s, produced in the millions, are now bringing over a grand, maybe two–when it seems to me like “yesterday” when $500 would buy as many as you wanted in mint cond.

sgtsemo
WACA Guest
March 5, 2020 - 8:30 pm

Have you guys seen this one. Apparently on USS Nevada during the Pearl Harbor attack. 55 bids already over $49,000.

Bert, any idea what ship yours might have been on?

thumb_free.jpgImage Enlargerhttps://www.gunbroker.com/item/859075159

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
March 5, 2020 - 10:09 pm

I remember when Pythons were $125. Now some are in the $3000 + range. My first generation Colt SAA 45 cost me $75 in 1966. Lugers were $50 at that time. In 1968 my Chevy SS 396 Malibu 4 speed was under $3000. All the good stuff that was cheap, is now unaffordable to many folks. My 1985 something Mustang GT Convertable was $7,000 something and now a cheapo KIA cost more. Cars and Colts. Great investment materiel. Big Larry

sgtsemo
WACA Guest
March 5, 2020 - 11:28 pm

Larry, I hope that goes for Winchester’s too.Cry

WACA Member
March 6, 2020 - 12:03 am

sgtsemo said
Larry, I hope that goes for Winchester’s too.Cry  

Yes, nice Winchesters were plentiful and cheap back then too. My BIL and I amassed a collection of every model  lever Winchester made except for the M1901 shotgun. 1866 all the way through including all the sub models. Some had rare features. It was a poor boys collection and most were not minty, but with two people pooling their $$$, we did get some good ones. An unfortunate set of circumstances had us splitting up the collection and selling most off. I kept a M1890 that had been given to me by a movie extra that I knew from my job. Still in my safe too. We did have around 125 guns at that time. Big Larry

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Aussie Chris, freebird1968, oldcrankyyankee
Guest(s) 165
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250