Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1894 Lyman no.21 "climbing Lyman"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 19, 2018 - 6:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
  1. How would one go about determining if a No.21 is original if the rifle is outside the letter-able range? It appears to have been produced around 1910, by the SNA info in the back of the newest bluebook. I have looked at many photos of these sights installed and there seems to be a degree of variance in the exact mounting position. When compared to an illustration found in Renneberg’s book this one seems to be mounted further forward. It also has a flip up sight mounted in the rear sight slot. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the front sight available.

lyman-21.PNGImage Enlarger

lyman-flip.PNGImage Enlarger 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Only own one 1894, but it's a good one.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
March 19, 2018 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The sight you are asking about is a Lyman No. 21 versus a No. 1 (the No. 1 is a tang mounted sight).  The sight in the barrel slot is one of the Lyman No. 6 variations.  Winchester installed in the exact same location when done in the factory.  What is the application code on the back (hidden) side of the sight ?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
March 19, 2018 - 8:05 pm

Can’t tell from photo, but if the aperture is adjustable for windage, it’s a #38.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
March 19, 2018 - 8:36 pm

Johnnie, Most Lyman 21’s that I believe are original to the gun had sighting marks on the elevation scale. Brass dots, maybe signifying 100 and 200yds? The guns also had real blue in the mounting holes in the receiver. T/R  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 40
March 19, 2018 - 9:30 pm

Bert,

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking 21 as I typed but for, what ever reason, actually typed 1. I have corrected the title and first post to correspond. I have only seen the rifle is photos at this point and will have to ask about the code. Is this something that the owner will need to remove the sight to view?

Clarence,

After looking at the below photo I believe you are correct. I did not know there were different types of this style of sight, still have a lot to learn.

TR,

I will have to ask the owner if they will be willing to remove a screw to check for bluing in the threads. I had actually heard of doing this before but had escaped my mind until you mentioned it.

What I do know as of this moment it the rifle is chambered in 32 w.s., 26″ round barrel, full magazine, crescent butt and has a plain standard stock.

lyman-side.PNGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Only own one 1894, but it's a good one.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 20, 2018 - 4:00 am

Johnnie

It does look like a No. 38 sight. Also, you don’t have to remove the sight to see the application code. Just lift it to the highest position and it should be visible on the back of the sight. I think it should be a “DA” for that rifle. Besides what the others have mentioned, you might look at the barrel just behind the Lyman #6 leaf sight to see if it has any wear marks. If there’s no sign of wear from a standard sight elevator, and the #6 appears to be the only sight that’s been there, this also give some credit to the 38 being original. It seems like that was a frequently used combination. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, 1892takedown, pdog72, mrcvs, Chris Scott
Guest(s) 193
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263