Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1885 tang sight installation
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 41
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 12, 2022 - 12:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I would like to install a tang sight on my 1885.  Is the smaller of the 2 tapped tang holes used in the installation process?

Thanks

Ed

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
May 12, 2022 - 2:11 pm

The one right behind the hammer, plus the tang screw itself, which requires a special tang screw having a smaller head to fit the hole in the sight base. 

WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 2:28 pm

Thanks Clarence, if I end up ordering from MVA I can only hope they will supply the proper screws.

Ed

NY
WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Edward Kitner said
Thanks Clarence, if I end up ordering from MVA I can only hope they will supply the proper screws.

Ed

Of course they will, but I think a brand new repro sight is going to look way out of place on your rifle, even if it’s in absolutely mint cond.  If what you have in mind is one of their vernier sights, that’s even more out of place on a plain sporting model SS.  Lymans were used on the vast majority of SSs fitted with tang sights, & they are common on ebay, often with both screws.  If not, repro screws can be bought separately, such as these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255419642026?hash=item3b783270aa:g:s1wAAOSwULRafkbF

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
May 12, 2022 - 4:01 pm

clarence said

Edward Kitner said

Ed

Of course they will, but I think a brand new repro sight is going to look way out of place on your rifle, even if it’s in absolutely mint cond.  If what you have in mind is one of their vernier sights, that’s even more out of place on a plain sporting model SS.  Lymans were used on the vast majority of SSs fitted with tang sights, & they are common on ebay, often with both screws.  If not, repro screws can be bought separately, such as these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255419642026?hash=item3b783270aa:g:s1wAAOSwULRafkbF

Be CAreful, alot of the repo screws dont fit.   believe, i’ve found out the hard way.  The taper on the screw isnt enough on some and are too big to fit.

WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 5:27 pm

I did consider a Lyman, like the Lyman A2.  It would be a more correct sight, plus a more reasonably priced sight then the MVA mid range vernier sight.

I know nothing about the older Lyman and Marbles sights, I have installed a new MVA vernier and a globe front sight on my Sharps, so I do know something about them.

The gun is not period correct, it has a replacement but stock.  Very well done, but a replacement never the less.

NY
WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 6:01 pm

Edward Kitner said
I did consider a Lyman, like the Lyman A2. 

That would be one of the harder ones to find, but no reason it needs to be a #2 or the “A” variant.  (A nice one recently sold on ebay for about $200.)  Don’t see any others listed right now, except this #1, which is over-priced, & in poor cond.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255442558629?hash=item3b79901ea5:g:LmYAAOSwSbxiNNGd  (Yet it has 16 fools watching it!)

If you create a “saved search” on ebay for a “Lyman Winchester tang sight,” you’ll see many others.  Including, unfortunately, the new crude Lyman repros, which are difficult to exclude from the search results.

NY
WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 6:06 pm

Manuel said Be CAreful, alot of the repo screws dont fit.   believe, i’ve found out the hard way.  The taper on the screw isnt enough on some and are too big to fit.

I’ve had the same problem, but you’re left with no alternative unless you can find a sight with the original factory screws.  Best you can do is make sure they’re returnable if the fit isn’t good enough.

WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 7:50 pm

I just checked ebay, some look questionable and coated with black paint!

What would the sight base be marked for Winchester 1885?

NY
WACA Member
May 12, 2022 - 8:27 pm

Edward Kitner said
I just checked ebay, some look questionable and coated with black paint!

What would the sight base be marked for Winchester 1885?

“S”–which will cost about twice the price of most other Lymans with the standard Winchester spacing, like “DA.”  Your gun won’t know the difference.  Considering that it already has a replacement buttstock, fitting it with the “correct” sight would be a wasted expense.

Like I said, current Lyman listings are unusually poor, but don’t worry, news ones are listed every day.  Check out “SOLD” listings to get an idea of what good ones are selling for.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter
Guest(s) 221
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261