Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
What receiver peep sight will match the holes on my 1894?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Hershey, PA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 29
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 26, 2020 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 1912 1894 that has two holes drilled for a long-lost receiver mounted peep sight, and would like to find a period sight to replace it.

The holes are .40″ apart, about .7″ from the top of the receiver.  I can’t determine the exact thread size, but it seems to be between 6-32 and 6-40.

I can’t find mounting specs or screw sizes online, and I’m hoping someone here can help at least identify sight makers or eliminate makers.

Thanks,
Dorsey

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
November 26, 2020 - 8:49 pm

Dorsey-

It appears your receiver was drilled on the same pattern as later 94’s and should accommodate the Williams and Lyman receiver sights designed for those models. An older Lyman sight wouldn’t look terribly out of place on your rifle, IMHO. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6381
November 26, 2020 - 9:04 pm

TXGunNut said
An older Lyman sight wouldn’t look terribly out of place on your rifle, IMHO.

May take a good deal of searching to find one, unlike rcvr sights for bolt actions, & certain other guns; but not many ’94s ever had them.  Williams is still making them, but a new sight would be an eyesore.

WACA Member
November 26, 2020 - 9:16 pm

Yes, I have Williams FP sights on a few of my later guns and they would look out of place on an older gun. An older Lyman sight won’t be correct but I believe it’s what Dorsey is looking for. Did they quit making the Lyman receiver sight? I think the model number would be 66A.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10847
November 26, 2020 - 10:02 pm

A Lyman No. 56A or a No. 66A. My choice would be the No. 56A. I believe the screws are 6-48. Another option is a Redfield No. 70E or No. 80E.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
November 26, 2020 - 10:46 pm

Bert H. said
A Lyman No. 56A or a No. 66A. My choice would be the No. 56A. I believe the screws are 6-48. Another option is a Redfield No. 70E or No. 80E.
Bert  

First thing is to find out what sight the hole spacing is correct for.  Lyman catalogs don’t show this measurement, but Williams is still in prod. & I’d bet anyone putting a rcvr sight on a 94 would pick the cheapest one available–Williams.

I’d forget this aggravation, plug the holes with screws that match the finish, & mount a tang sight. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 27, 2020 - 12:43 am

clarence said

First thing is to find out what sight the hole spacing is correct for.  Lyman catalogs don’t show this measurement, but Williams is still in prod. & I’d bet anyone putting a rcvr sight on a 94 would pick the cheapest one available–Williams.

I’d forget this aggravation, plug the holes with screws that match the finish, & mount a tang sight.   

Clarence,

The Williams receiver mounted peep sight has the exact same hole spacing as the Lyman and Redfield receiver sights made for the lever-action rifles.

Bert

NY
WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 2:14 am

Bert H. said

Clarence,

The Williams receiver mounted peep sight has the exact same hole spacing as the Lyman and Redfield receiver sights made for the lever-action rifles.

Bert  

I’m amazed by such common sense!  Most manufacturers go out of their way to make sure their parts aren’t interchangeable!

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 27, 2020 - 2:18 am

clarence said

I’m amazed by such common sense!  Most manufacturers go out of their way to make sure their parts aren’t interchangeable!  

I would not attribute it to “common sense”.  Instead, it was Winchester who forced them to all be the same when they began drilling & tapping the receivers for peep sights beginning in 1934.  All of the various sight makers had to make the sights fit the holes that Winchester provided.

NY
WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 3:27 am

Bert H. said

I would not attribute it to “common sense”.  Instead, it was Winchester who forced them to all be the same when they began drilling & tapping the receivers for peep sights beginning in 1934.  All of the various sight makers had to make the sights fit the holes that Winchester provided.  

Wow–even more surprised that the factory was D&T receivers as early as ’34, when (I thought!) tang sights were still the first choice for any (smart) shooter wanting a peep sight. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 27, 2020 - 4:49 am

It began with the Model 64 Rifles in August 1934, followed by the Model 71 rifles in the mid 1940s, and finally, it was a standard feature on all of the Model 94 Carbines beginning in 1952.

WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 5:06 am

clarence said

I measured a Williams sight in my parts box as the Williams and Lyman sites are silent on the subject of screw spacIng. Personally I’d prefer a tang sight but again, that was’t the OP’s request.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
CANADA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 127
November 27, 2020 - 6:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The Williams side-mount receiver sight that fit the factory holes was/is the – FP 94/36 or 5D 94/36 (cheaper model) it’s still available to my knowledge.

These sights were made for both the Winchester and Marlin as the spacing was the same.

And although a 1912 vintage rifle was not D&T, most gunsmiths used the Williams/Lyman spacing – but you’ll have to check.

Also a period correct Lyman side mount sight might look the best.

Hershey, PA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 29
November 27, 2020 - 10:34 pm

Thanks for this very useful information, except Clarence who seems to have missed the point entirely.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303