Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Trying to ID an uncommon 1894 rear sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 14, 2019 - 6:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have looked through a few sight books and I can’t find an exact match on this rear sight so I am hoping someone here can help.  The rifle is an 1894 Deluxe TD and it has what I would call a “folding leaf express” but I don’t know if you would call it a 2 leaf or 3 leaf since there are actually 3 leaves but only 2 are folding.  Anyhow, I have a factory letter on it and it does not call out the sights so I can’t confirm it that way, but this rifle is all original and since it takes a larger barrel dovetail to fit this sight I can’t imagine it is a replacement.  Anybody have an opinion on what it is called?

https://i.imgur.com/iHU8USm.jpg?2Image Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6380
February 14, 2019 - 7:41 pm

Brian Mathews said
I don’t know if you would call it a 2 leaf or 3 leaf since there are actually 3 leaves but only 2 are folding. 

The standing leaf is counted, making this a 3-leaf sight.  What’s odd is that it’s not illustrated in any of the WRA catalogs I checked, only the 4-leaf models.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
February 14, 2019 - 7:47 pm

clarence said

The standing leaf is counted, making this a 3-leaf sight.  What’s odd is that it’s not illustrated in any of the WRA catalogs I checked, only the 4-leaf models.  

Thanks for the reply, Clarence.  That’s what is making this difficult to search on, because if you search for anything with “3 leaf” you get dozens of the regular express sights and nothing that looks like this.

Brian

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
February 14, 2019 - 8:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

That is not a Winchester factory sight. It is something added. Likely a sight applied in England. It is similar to those found on Holland and Holland retailed guns etc.  Does it have foreign proof marks?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6380
February 14, 2019 - 10:05 pm

Austin said
That is not a Winchester factory sight. It is something added. Likely a sight applied in England. It is similar to those found on Holland and Holland retailed guns etc.  Does it have foreign proof marks?  

If not made by WRA, I wonder if the 3-leaf sights were also English-made, because they look identical except for the no. of leaves; might have been cheaper to import them than set up a production line for a seldom called for sight.

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
February 15, 2019 - 1:16 pm

clarence said

If not made by WRA, I wonder if the 3-leaf sights were also English-made, because they look identical except for the no. of leaves; might have been cheaper to import them than set up a production line for a seldom called for sight.  

This sight is much different than Winchester leaf sights. Winchester leaf sights use the standard 3/8″ dovetail in addition to a screw at the rear. This “English” looking sight is entirely dovetailed in.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303