Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Tang sight on my Model 1890
Avatar
win1894
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 92
Member Since:
June 15, 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
June 22, 2020 - 12:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My newly acquired Model 1890 has this tang sight on it, but I can’t figure out how to lift it so I can see what it is. Rifle is circa 1908.

I don’t want to damage it, but it is tight. Do you just push it up? I haven’t had one of these before.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA #11669

NRA Distinguished Life Member

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14775
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2
June 22, 2020 - 1:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

win1894 said
My newly acquired Model 1890 has this tang sight on it, but I can’t figure out how to lift it so I can see what it is. Rifle is circa 1908.

I don’t want to damage it, but it is tight. Do you just push it up? I haven’t had one of these before.  

Terry,

It is Marbles tang sight, and you need to first push down on it (towards the tang), which will then allow it to pop up.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
win1894
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 92
Member Since:
June 15, 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
June 22, 2020 - 2:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Bert. Appreciate it!

 

Terry

WACA #11669

NRA Distinguished Life Member

Avatar
rustyjack
So.VT
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
July 9, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
June 22, 2020 - 2:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

You may also have to push the lock bar underneath the upright forward with a fingernail as they can be sticky. 

It appears the staff in your tang sight is reversed. The screw in aperture should be towards the rear.

Avatar
win1894
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 92
Member Since:
June 15, 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
June 22, 2020 - 3:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Rustyjack.

WACA #11669

NRA Distinguished Life Member

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., 1873man, btbell, Dave M., Pwog, BPJACK, Randy3590, Honest Jon
Guest(s) 183
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7643
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5847
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3072
twobit: 2741
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16304
Posts: 149201

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10987
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation