Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Sights on a 1904 made 1894 short rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 24
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 27, 2022 - 9:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone.

I recently acquired a 1904 vintage, 1894 short rifle.  Please note it has the standard, full-length forend.  It’s a rare little bird and letters as seen below:

Type:  Rifle

Caliber:  30

Barrel Type:  1/2 Octagon

Barrel Length:  20 inches

Trigger:  Set

Sights:  Sporting Rear, Lyman Hunting Front

Anyway, it has a flat-top sporting rear sight on it, but I’m wondering if this may have been a later replacement.  Weren’t the “sporting rears” at this time the buckhorns with the set screws?  Please advise.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
January 28, 2022 - 6:01 pm

I can’t really answer your question but if the Letter says what sights were on it it means they were not Standard.  Letters don’t usually mention standard sights.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 28, 2022 - 6:32 pm

It’s more likely it was the standard semi-buckhorn sporting rear. I agree with Chuck and wonder why this standard sight would be called out in the letter. If you want it align with what the letter says, you might search Ebay for the sporting rather than the flat top. 

Something like this may be more appropriate but it’s not a big deal either way.         Vintage Winchester 22E Semi Buck Horn Rear Barrel Sight With Dated Elevator | eBay         The problem with swapping them usually comes down to getting the finish to match. Also, they do give these things away …… they’re just plain spendy. 

I think I have this rifle in my survey, but please confirm the serial number for me again. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
January 30, 2022 - 12:56 am

If you look at page 294 of Stroebel’s book he shows a No. 22 A sporting rear sight with the flat top and a similar elevator.  I would just leave what is on it.  The regular buckhorn sporting rear sight is a 22.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6362
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294