Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Rear sight for a Model 1894 Winchester
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Rolland Huff
WACA Guest
June 30, 2015 - 11:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a Model 1894 saddle ring carbine, 20 inch barrel, 30-30, button magazine. The serial number puts it early 1900. I am in need of the correct rear sight. I am told they used a King sight so am hoping someone could help me find the correct sight and elevator. Please feel free to use my email for contact or pm if permitted.

Rolland Huff

Camp Verde, AZ

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10855
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 1, 2015 - 3:24 am

Hello Rolland,

What you need is a standard Carbine ladder sight.  The King Gunsights Company was founded in 1913, a bit too late for your SRC.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
July 2, 2015 - 12:15 am

You need the pre 44-A ladder sight with the V notch. I have a spare, but it has the U notch. Big Larry

Forum Posts: 960
July 2, 2015 - 1:51 am

Rolland Huff said

I have a Model 1894 saddle ring carbine, 20 inch barrel, 30-30, button magazine. The serial number puts it early 1900. I am in need of the correct rear sight. I am told they used a King sight so am hoping someone could help me find the correct sight and elevator. Please feel free to use my email for contact or pm if permitted.

Rolland Huff

Camp Verde, AZ

I also agree that it more than likely had a version of the Winchester 44A Carbine Rear Sight.  Looking at the wear on the barrel and/or oil buildup from whatever rear sights have been on the carbine would be something I would take into consideration as well however.  Not every carbine had the 44A sight. 

DW King’s sights were advertised in the early 1900s by the man himself in early sporting magazines.  The earliest I have on file is an ad for the King’s Patent Triple Bead Front Sight and ran in 1903.  Maybe there are some earlier ads.  I also have some of his other ads saved from the ought years.  This was back when his mailing address was Denver, CO., which I believe changed to San Francisco sometime before 1920.  Price in 1903 was $1.50 shipped.  Marble Safety Axe also sold DW King and Sheard sights through their catalogs in the early 1900s, sometimes with the note that they were made by MSA Co. under contract.  I think his first DW King sporting rear sight might have been patented 1907.  I haven’t studied much about his business otherwise and maybe someone else knows all the dates.

That information may not directly apply to the carbine in question but I would consider that some form of a King front sight and, probably later the rear sight, were available through several channels right after the turn of the century. 

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Rolland Huff
WACA Guest
July 2, 2015 - 4:16 am

Hi

The carbine has a dovetail cut about 2 or 2 1/2 inches from the receiver ring so looking at pictures of the sights it looks like it did have a ladder sight. I will get a better measurement or post a photo as soon as I can get the camera working again. It has a standard sight missing the elevator now.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
July 2, 2015 - 10:32 pm

I am not sure how to add photos. The dovetail measures .350 and is 2 3/8 to center from the receiver ring. the front sight is a gold bead .453 inches high. the serial number of the carbine is 194241. Hope this helps I do have photos but not sure I can load them.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10855
July 3, 2015 - 1:59 am

Rolland,

Send the pictures to me at [email protected]

The sight dovetail slots on all Winchesters are .375 (3/8″).

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
July 3, 2015 - 5:29 am

These are the sights I have on the carbine now, I know the rear sight is wrong and since the gun is dated 1900 I was hoping to get a lead on sights. The front sight blade seems to me to be awfully high for a saddle ring carbine. Any help would be appreciated

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
July 3, 2015 - 12:20 pm

Rolland,

They put in the high front sight to adjust for the rear sight setting up in the receiver. If you install the correct rear sight you will need a shorter front.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
July 3, 2015 - 12:44 pm

I would certainly agree that something needs to be done about the sights on this firearm.  However, I would like to point out that it appears, from your photo of the action, that edges and corners appear too ‘soft’ and not as crisp as they should.  This suggests that the action may have been reblued a long time ago, and the crispness was lost when buffed in preparation for rebluing.  These are my observations based on that photograph, and may or may not be proved true if additional photos are supplied.  If this is the case, I would not sink too much money into this particular firearm.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4262
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306