Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Lyman Sights 1918-1946
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 5, 2020 - 6:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I don’t remember who Jack is but I have had this since 2001.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6390
July 5, 2020 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said

Re: Lyman Sights  

No. 1 Combination Tang Sight Second Variation – patented May 6, 1884. This sight has both the JAN. 28, ’79 and MAY 6, ’84 patent dates stamped on the base of the elevation upright. The knurled screw was replaced with a hairspring that allowed the elevation stem to be locked in the upright position by a spring loaded detent. It was replaced in 1905 by the No. 1A

The No. 1 was still in the 1940 catalog; may have been dropped after the war, but I have no later catalogs.

Did you find this in Stroebel’s book?  Because it was he who dreamed up the name “hairspring” for what Lyman always called a spring-bolt, as is easily verified.  Oh, there is something legitimately called a “hairspring,” all right–it’s been a part of every mechanical watch for centuries, which makes Stroebel’s expropriation of it so ridiculous.

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/watches/innovation-and-technology/hairsprings-the-hairspring-what-is-it-for-what-does-it-do-20285.html

NY
WACA Member
July 6, 2020 - 1:14 am

[email protected] said

Re: Lyman Sights  

No. 29 Windgauge Tang Sight – patented March 6, 1900. This sight has a square stem piece, and could not be folded down like the No. 1 and No. 2 Tang sights. It was discontinued in 1903 due to complaints by shooters of frequent damage to the sight (due to not being able to fold it down). 

This sight DID fold down.  In fact, it was the best tang sight Lyman ever designed (inc. the 103), because the square stem did not develop the looseness common with the round stems.  Probably, greater cost to mfg. did it in.  Did Stroebel assert that bit about “complaints”? 

WACA Member
July 6, 2020 - 5:10 pm

Ben, that is a good list.  I will print this out and add it to my sight info.  The Lyman tang sights for the Colt Lightning rifles were marked with a C for the small frames, O for the medium frames and L for the large frames.  Don’t know of a T for Colt?

When did Lyman change the knurling on the combination tang sights from fine to rough?  At one time I knew this but….To be period correct we need to know this.  Pre 1905?

I have a Colt large frame with a Lyman tang sight. Shipped 12/1890.  It looks like a No 1 second variation with the fine knurling on the elevation shaft.  It has a thin base, flip peep, both patent dates, locks in place in the upright position, no thumb screw but what I call a ball with a hole through it on the left side and a rectangular lock nut on the right.  This gun letters with “Lyman peep sights and ivory front sight. Blanks for rear sight separate”.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10855
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
July 6, 2020 - 5:38 pm

Chuck said
Ben, that is a good list.  I will print this out and add it to my sight info.  The Lyman tang sights for the Colt Lightning rifles were marked with a C for the small frames, O for the medium frames and L for the large frames.  Don’t know of a T for Colt?

When did Lyman change the knurling on the combination tang sights from fine to rough?  At one time I knew this but….To be period correct we need to know this.  

Chuck,

The fine knurling was still being used on the second iteration of the First variation sights.  The picture below is the original Lyman tang sight on my 40-90 Ballard high-wall serial number 7397, received in the warehouse on January 29th, 1887.

Bert

Lyman-No.-1-early.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
July 6, 2020 - 5:49 pm

Thanks Bert. I was editing my post when you posted.  Please read edited version. Yours appears to have something on the top of the flat to the rear of the staff?  My sight is mounted in the reverse position as compared to yours.  It has to be this way to lay back.  It will not lay all the way forward.

NY
WACA Member
July 6, 2020 - 7:14 pm

Bert H. said
The fine knurling was still being used on the second iteration of the First variation sights. 

Stands to reason every last one of the early style would be used up regardless of a change in the base.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 21
August 5, 2020 - 11:20 pm

If I’m wrongfully interjecting into this topic…my apologies.

I an missing the “flip-up” aperture insert in my NI Lyman tang sight.  Anyone know where I might happen to acquire one???

NY
WACA Member
August 6, 2020 - 1:18 am

Tyke said
I an missing the “flip-up” aperture insert in my NI Lyman tang sight.  Anyone know where I might happen to acquire one???  

You’ll never find one by itself, but don’t worry about it, because the early Lyman catalogs always advised leaving it in the “down” position for hunting; helps explain why many are missing, probably removed deliberately.  The small aperture was mainly intended for target shooting if full sunlight.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
August 6, 2020 - 12:23 pm

Tyke, Are you sure your stem is made for a flip-up aperture, or is it threaded for a disc? T/R

WACA Member
August 6, 2020 - 3:54 pm

As is happens, I am using the 1886, .40-82, for NRA 200 yard silhouette competition.  With a load of 22.5 gr Acc. 5744 and Puff-Lon filler it’s extremely accurate.  5 chickens in a row at 150 yards, stand-offhand.  Embarassed

The Lyman NI I’m using (I know, it’s for an 86, .33 but you take what you can get.  The N cost was prohibitive.) still has the small cross pin that holds the flip-up aperture still in place.  Makes me think the small aperture broke out at come point.  I a firm believer in the adage, “aim fine – shoot fine”.

NY
WACA Member
August 6, 2020 - 4:07 pm

Tyke said

Makes me think the small aperture broke out at come point.  I a firm believer in the adage, “aim fine – shoot fine”.  

Well, you can always buy another Lyman sight with the “turn-down” (as it was called by Lyman) still in place & either remove it, or screw the entire stem into your N sight.  Maybe you can find a damaged one cheap on ebay.  Then you can find out whether using it it really improves your shooting.

WACA Member
August 6, 2020 - 4:45 pm

That’s probably what I’ll wind up doing is finding a stem or a junker with the small aperture…

Thanks

Virginia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 171
August 10, 2020 - 11:24 pm

I’ve got a couple of Lyman 1A sights with the “turn-down” peep aperture.  Unfortunately the small peep apertures appear to be stuck in the upright position within the larger aperture.  I am trying to gently coax them out to fold down with no success.  I’ve busted my thumbnails trying to pry them and push down on the little release arm but to no avail.  Right now they are soaking overnight in Kroil and hopefully that will free them up.  Any other thoughts, am I pushing/pulling incorrectly?  What’s the trick?

Thanks,

Mac

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10855
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 11, 2020 - 12:18 am

Mac,

I have used a tapered punch to push them forward after a soak in Kroil.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Virginia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 171
August 11, 2020 - 12:52 am

Thanks Bert.  Kroil, a light tap on a tapered brass punch and I’m good to go.

Mac

Lyman-1A-SA.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323