Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Early 1892 Rifle Sights
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 15, 2018 - 5:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Looking hard at a pretty decent ca. 1893 92 OB rifle in 38WCF. Bore is remarkably good with a possible small area of erosion just forward of the chamber. Gun is in pretty strong 70% condition overall with the exception of the sights; several decades ago someone “upgraded” the sights to Marbles. Assuming the ledger doesn’t specify express sights I’m thinking I can restore both to original configuration for about $250. The Marble sight is of the long configuration so I’m hoping a longer configuration buckhorn to fit in the Marble’s footprint will be correct. At the probable purchase price I’ve got a fair bit of room for replacement sights, are my prices pretty close? Did the earliest 92’s use an oddball sight that will be hard to find?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 16, 2018 - 5:25 pm

TXGunNut said
Looking hard at a pretty decent ca. 1893 92 OB rifle in 38WCF. Bore is remarkably good with a possible small area of erosion just forward of the chamber. Gun is in pretty strong 70% condition overall with the exception of the sights; several decades ago someone “upgraded” the sights to Marbles. Assuming the ledger doesn’t specify express sights I’m thinking I can restore both to original configuration for about $250. The Marble sight is of the long configuration so I’m hoping a longer configuration buckhorn to fit in the Marble’s footprint will be correct. At the probable purchase price I’ve got a fair bit of room for replacement sights, are my prices pretty close? Did the earliest 92’s use an oddball sight that will be hard to find?

Mike  

Hello Mike,

How early is the rifle?  What is the serial number of it?  

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 16, 2018 - 7:29 pm

The rear barrel sight will be a long semi buckhorn with a adjustable aperture and serrated sides. The same as a 86 of the same vintage. Ebay idem # 292390657677 is $150. The picture is poor, can’t say if the sight is ok, but that’s the type and price range. T/R   

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 16, 2018 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TR said
 The rear barrel sight will be a long semi buckhorn with a adjustable aperture and serrated sides. The same as a 86 of the same vintage. Ebay idem # 292390657677 is $150. The picture is poor, can’t say if the sight is ok, but that’s the type and price range. T/R     

That sight is the correct one indeed, but that seller is the highest priced seller on eBay.  You can frequently find the same sight for under $100.  Plus that one looks like the sighting notch has been filed down.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
January 16, 2018 - 8:23 pm

his stuff is always over priced.  

WACA Member
January 16, 2018 - 8:33 pm

I agree that the Ebay sight has been altered and is not worth the asking price.  For an 1893 vintage 1892 sporting rifle configuration you definitely want one with the elevator as shown below and not an elevator with the “thumb print”.

Michael

photo-17.JPGImage EnlargerRidge-Elevator.jpgImage Enlarger

Not this:

IMG_1176.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 3:58 am

twobit said

Hello Mike,

How early is the rifle?  What is the serial number of it?  

Michael  

IIRC the serial number is 22418. I took a better look at it today in better light and wasn’t able to talk myself into it. I don’t know where I got the idea it was a strong 70% gun because it was a weak 60% gun today. I was looking at other guns Friday so may have gotten things crossed up. Embarassed Sights not mentioned in Cody letter so the one first pics is most likely what was on it. May take another look at it tomorrow if I’m feeling better, if it had been in the 70% plus condition I’d have the gun police waiting for me when I got home.

I’m trying to follow the advice of the much more learned collectors around here and buy higher condition guns but this one is eating on me.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 12:27 pm

Good morning Mike,

I have images of that rifle when it was for sale at a Cabela’s location.   Both the front and rear sights are not original as noted.  Beyond that the rifle looks unaltered but it is definitely not in 70% condition.  IF the bore is in great shape, and the price is right, it might make a wonderful hunting rifle that you do not have to be overly concerned about leaning it against a tree.  I have a couple like that for just that purpose.  

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 4:00 pm

That’s the problem, Michael. I don’t need any more shooters, probably have too many if that’s possible. I have a pretty decent (but much later) 1892 in 38WCF that is actually a very good shooter. My other 1892 is a dedicated fun gun (relined 32WCF with modern tang & globe sights) so my “shooter” stable is a bit crowded in that section. 😉 On top of that I may even have a Rossi R92 around here in 38-357. Embarassed This gun is at a Cabela’s again but not sure they’ve put it back in the online section. It was on hold for police stolen check (pawnshop ordinance) when I looked at it Friday, just went into the Library yesterday. Price is right but I’d have to scope that area just forward of the chamber before I bought it. I’m looking at a pretty nice 1885 so I should probably forget this 1892.

Do you recall which store had it when you saw it? Price?

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 4:06 pm

TXGunNut said
That’s the problem, Michael. I don’t need any more shooters, probably have too many if that’s possible. I have a pretty decent (but much later) 1892 in 38WCF that is actually a very good shooter. My other 1892 is a dedicated fun gun (relined 32WCF with modern tang & globe sights) so my “shooter” stable is a bit crowded in that section. 😉 On top of that I may even have a Rossi R92 around here in 38-357. Embarassed This gun is at a Cabela’s again but not sure they’ve put it back in the online section. It was on hold for police stolen check (pawnshop ordinance) when I looked at it Friday, just went into the Library yesterday. Price is right but I’d have to scope that area just forward of the chamber before I bought it. I’m looking at a pretty nice 1885 so I should probably forget this 1892.

Do you recall which store had it when you saw it? Price?  

Mike,

I do not keep track of the asking price or which individual Cabela’s the rifles are located.  Sorry I can’t help you there.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 4:09 pm

I’ll can ask the manager, they track things like that. Thanks.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, sb, antler1, TXGunNut, MNwin
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323