Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Adjusting Sights on 1922 Model 94 W32
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 2, 2022 - 4:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Planning on doing some hunting this year with my 94. I took it to the shop and put the bore sight on it to make sure things were good. As it turns out the sights are off (according to the magnetic laser we use for scopes). It seemed like the rifle was shooting low and a tad to the left. Perhaps I wasn’t using the correct sight picture for these. I was aligning the top of the blade with the top of the rear sight. Do these look correct for the vintage? Any thoughts on best way to insure the sights are in the ballpark without lots of ammo being expended?

Image Enlarger

http://www.opus45.com/webpics/W32_sights_1.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
November 2, 2022 - 5:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

From your pictures it looks like you have a Sporting Rifle (vs. a Carbine).  The rear sight is 22-series Flat Top sporting, and the front sight is a No. 21 sporting sight.

Take it to range and shoot it at 25-yards the first shot or two, then move progressively further out on the range.  It will likely shoot low at 25-yards so disregard adjusting for elevation until you get to the distance you want it sighted for.

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
November 2, 2022 - 1:58 pm

Here is a shot of the whole rifle

Image Enlarger

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
November 2, 2022 - 2:11 pm

I have found laser bore sights are not that accurate. They will get you on the paper but that all. You have to sight it in at the range with the ammo your going to use using the open sights the way your going to use them. Once you get it sighted in another guy can shoot it and it will be off for him.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
November 2, 2022 - 2:14 pm

1873man said
I have found laser bore sights are not that accurate. They will get you on the paper but that all. You have to sight it in at the range with the ammo your going to use using the open sights the way your going to use them. Once you get it sighted in another guy can shoot it and it will be off for him.

Bob

.32 special ammo is going for $4 a round, if you can find it. Hoping to avoid expended a lot of ammo to get this dialed in.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
November 2, 2022 - 4:38 pm

Derek_1 said

1873man said

Bob

.32 special ammo is going for $4 a round, if you can find it. Hoping to avoid expended a lot of ammo to get this dialed in.

Maybe you need to start reloading?  You need to do as Bert said.  Place the target at 25 yds and if 1 shot is on the paper move the target to 50 yds.  Same thing, if you hit the 50 yd target move it to 100.  You have to at least hit the target to determine how to adjust the sight or your sight picture.  Remember you move the rear sight the way you want the point of impact to move.  The front sight is exactly the opposite. You have to drift the sights left or right in their dovetail for windage adjustments.  You need to place the front sight as high or low in the rear sight groove as you need.  I see in your picture the elevator is not set on it’s lowest setting.  If it shoots high change the elevator to a lower setting.  If low set it in a higher notch.  Without buying new sights you can remove the rear sight elevator if needed.  If you run out of adjustments but you are close use Kentucky windage.  In other words learn where your gun shoots and adjust your hold accordingly.  

You really need to waste some ammo to make sure you know where your point of impact is going to be at various distances.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
November 2, 2022 - 5:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Derek_1 said I was aligning the top of the blade with the top of the rear sight.

If you replaced the rear sight with a vintage Lyman or Marble tang sight, you wouldn’t have to align anything & elevation would be much easier to adjust.

To conserve that $4/rd ammo, I’d stop shooting at 50 yds; 2 or 3″ high at 50 will be good enough for 100.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, 426crown, Mark Douglas, markone1966, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 133
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160