Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 Lyman reciever sight mystery
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 73
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 12, 2015 - 5:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

We had a collectors gun show over the weekend here in Mesa, Arizona. I purchased an 1895 30US. The lovely lady from Cody was there offering free searches which was just great and my thanks to them for coming down to the show. The rifle dated 1898 and lettered as having a Lyman receiver sight, Lyman front and Lyman sporting rear flat top. The receiver sight was not on the gun but the other two were fine. Now the question. The rear hole for the “climin” Lyman was drilled through the address markings (thru the “5” of Jan 25 I believe) something, according to my 1894/95 Arthur Pirkle book page 210 the factory would not do. If the gun letters as having the Lyman receiver sight factory installed why would they drill and tap through the address marking. Now having said that I have looked at all the listed address markings in the Pirkle book and the Madis book and cant find this exact marking that stops at Jan 25. Can any one shed some light or a possible explanation.  Futhermore Mr Pirkle states that this sight should have “WR” or “WT” stamped on it depending whether it was one with adjustable wind-age post 1905 or non wind-age prior to 1905. I must confess I dont really understand the difference here..The whole point of the sight was the windage adjustment. I found one on line that supposedly came of an 1890’s Model. Any advice or help here would be appreciated. The rifle is in great shape and either way a I am very happy with my purchase but if I can get an original climin Lyman sight here to get it back to the way if left the factory I would be delighted. serial # 16785. I have a photo here but cant figure out how to attach it to this post…  

Forum Posts: 960
January 13, 2015 - 12:19 am

steelslide

I see they show you as a WACA Guest under your name.  Maybe that is why you are unable to post an image?  If you want you can email your photo to me at [email protected] and I will post it for you here.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 22
January 15, 2015 - 3:21 am

I’ll try to explain the issues here. THe orginial side mounted sight was the Lyman 21. When the easly adjustable windage portion of the sight was added now the Lyman 38.  I don’t think the Lyman 38 came out until 1899 or so.

The WR and WI were the differnrt use between smokeless powder and black powder, like the 86 with the “N” ans “NI”. 

On the other issue I have 4 95’s and they are all drilled though the “5”, which is covered by the sight.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 146
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250