Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 20, 2017 - 3:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Saw an interesting and apparently well-made Winchester O/U today, model # was 5500. Looks like it would make a good Sporting Clays or possibly a field gun. Story is it belonged to a retired Winchester employee and wasn’t widely available.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
February 20, 2017 - 5:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The 5500 (and 6500) was the successor to the Winchester 101, all made by the Olin-Kodensha factory in Tochigi, Japan. They were sold on the European market, but a few made it back home to the USA. Very good clay sport gun. There are some video on , and Cabala has some available in the gun library for sale. You won’t be disappointed if it has been cared for. But then I may be totally wrong.?

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
February 21, 2017 - 2:08 am

This one felt very good, possibly a bit heavy but that is probably a good thing. Felt very solid and the engraving (laser?) was quite attractive. Felt and handled like a much more expensive shotgun. I shoot a lot of trap and dabble at skeet but haven’t even ventured over to our club’s 5-stand range. Any idea when they were made?

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
February 21, 2017 - 5:17 am

TXGunNut said
This one felt very good, possibly a bit heavy but that is probably a good thing. Felt very solid and the engraving (laser?) was quite attractive. Felt and handled like a much more expensive shotgun. I shoot a lot of trap and dabble at skeet but haven’t even ventured over to our club’s 5-stand range. Any idea when they were made?  

Made by the Olin-Kodensha factory in Tochigi, Japan. Said to be a very good and popular shotgun in Europe for clays.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
February 23, 2017 - 2:32 am

The one on Cabelas site is the one I fondled.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323