Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1897 with its barrel in the trenches
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 8, 2021 - 10:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey there, been a long time reader and gleaned much from this forum. 

I recently picked up a 1906 C series “trench gun”, except that the trench part is bogus. Serial dates it to 1906, but the barrel itself, based on commentary from Bert H. I’ve read in similar threads, has markings from years in the future. I’ve attached pictures. I didn’t pay trench gun prices, but closer to that of a chopped version, so I’m happy with it.

What I’d like your opinions/speculations on is why. The barrel itself is clearly a trench barrel; its marked cyl and even has the three relief cuts for the bayonet lug. Perhaps someone tried to pass it off as such to turn a buck at one point? But as you can see by the wrench markings it was clearly done by not the best smith. 

Just seems like a waste of a perfectly fine trench barrel/trench gun. 

Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!

NG 2Image Enlarger

New gunImage Enlarger

NG3Image Enlarger

-n-

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10825
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 8, 2021 - 11:59 pm

Hmmm… the barrel is definitely much later than the receiver, and it is not authentic military Trench Gun barrel.  The fact that it has the chamber length marked on it tells me that it was manufactured after 1930.  The remainder of the markings on it tell me that it pre-dates the WW II production Trench Guns (which were all Take Downs).  My educated guess tells me that the barrel was manufactured sometime after 1930, but before 1940, and that it may have been intended for one of the Police Department or Prison contracts.  There should be a 2-digit year (date) stamped on the bottom of the barrel just forward of the receiver frame.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
September 9, 2021 - 12:39 am

Hey Bert! Thanks for the reply! Youre right, theres a 41 under there. Such a strange configuration. 

I know Winchester values have been kinda nuts lately, but do you have an educated guess as to the value of something like this? 

Cheers!

-n-

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 9, 2021 - 2:22 am

Noah Kite said
Hey Bert! Thanks for the reply! Youre right, theres a 41 under there. Such a strange configuration. 

I know Winchester values have been kinda nuts lately, but do you have an educated guess as to the value of something like this? 

Cheers!

-n-  

Maybe $300 – $400 for some needing a home defense gun.  It has no value in the “collector” market.

WACA Guest
September 9, 2021 - 7:44 pm

Bert H. said

Maybe $300 – $400 for some needing a home defense gun.  It has no value in the “collector” market.  

Yeah I figured. Thank you Bert for the info, and also for all the other info you’ve contributed throughout this forum. 

I have one request: Could you either direct me to, or create a list of the exact changes as they occurred from C to D to E? By now I’ve cobbled together my own list, forearm changes, mag release buttons, etc. but I’ve found it very hard to find a comprehensive list anywhere on the internet, and I feel that having that info readily available for new 97 enthusiasts would make a huge difference not only in understanding and appreciating the versions but also avoiding scams. 

Thanks again for all your help! 

-n-

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 10, 2021 - 12:01 am

Noah Kite said

I have one request: Could you either direct me to, or create a list of the exact changes as they occurred from C to D to E? By now I’ve cobbled together my own list, forearm changes, mag release buttons, etc. but I’ve found it very hard to find a comprehensive list anywhere on the internet, and I feel that having that info readily available for new 97 enthusiasts would make a huge difference not only in understanding and appreciating the versions but also avoiding scams. 

Thanks again for all your help! 

-n-  

I do not (yet) have a comprehensive list of all the changes that Winchester made to the Model 1897 throughout its production run.  What I do know is this… there were numerous changes made within each series of guns.  Specifically, not all of the “C” series guns were manufactured with the exact same mechanical configuration.  Hopefully I will someday find a document tucked away in the boxes of files stored in the vaults at the Cody Museum.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 108
September 10, 2021 - 12:53 am

This list of changes to the 1893 and 1897 shotguns may be of some help.  I do not know how accurate it is.

Model 97 Version Changes (homestead.com)

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4596
September 10, 2021 - 4:51 pm

Tom D said
This list of changes to the 1893 and 1897 shotguns may be of some help.  I do not know how accurate it is.

Interesting information, Tom.

WACA Guest
September 14, 2021 - 6:13 am

Bert H. said

I do not (yet) have a comprehensive list of all the changes that Winchester made to the Model 1897 throughout its production run.  What I do know is this… there were numerous changes made within each series of guns.  Specifically, not all of the “C” series guns were manufactured with the exact same mechanical configuration.  Hopefully I will someday find a document tucked away in the boxes of files stored in the vaults at the Cody Museum.  

Darn. I could have sworn years ago I stumbled across a bare bones list of the major changes from letter to letter, but I musta made that up because I haven’t been able to find it since. 

Hahaha that would be awesome! 

Thanks again for all the info!

Tom D said

This has some great details, thank you Tom! 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H.
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246