Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1897 in stainless?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 1, 2023 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Gentlemen, 

I purchased a Winchester 1897 black diamond trap from my LGS yesterday. I bought it on site because I couldn’t believe what it was. Now searching the internet I still can’t figure it out, so here I am. 

The gun, it is a 1897 trap gun as engraved on the bolt. The beautiful high grade walnut stock has a black diamond on it. The guys at the gun shop didn’t mention that but I found info on the black diamond online. According to the GS owner this shotgun dates to around 1904. Now for the interesting/ confusing part. This gun appears to be all stainless. I have looked all over and I can find no mention of any winchesters of that age that were stainless steel. It looks just like all other 1897 trap guns except it is completely silver. I will post pictures later today. One other thing it has one of those fancy adjustable butt plates. Anyone seen anything like this. It is also in absolutely amazing condition.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
February 1, 2023 - 6:11 pm

Hello Chris,

Winchester did not introduce Stainless Steel alloy barrels until September 1926.  The receiver frames were never manufactured using stainless steel.  Accordingly, I suspect that somebody intentionally removed the factory bluing, and restocked the gun.

What is the serial number on the gun you acquired?  Can you send pictures of the gun to me?

Bert – [email protected]

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4248
February 1, 2023 - 6:43 pm

My recollection is that the rifles and shotguns that Winchester manufactured with stainless barrels were all stamped as such – STAINLESS STEEL.

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 1, 2023 - 6:50 pm

steve004 said
My recollection is that the rifles and shotguns that Winchester manufactured with stainless barrels were all stamped as such – STAINLESS STEEL.

Your recollection is correct…

Stainless-barrel-857394.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6361
February 1, 2023 - 7:16 pm

Chris Scott said

It looks just like all other 1897 trap guns except it is completely silver.

Suspect metal has been polished bright.  Does lettering on brl appear sharp & crisp, or “smoothed over”?

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 2, 2023 - 2:01 am

OK, here are the pictures of the Model 1897 Trap Gun in question.  It positively (100%) has been buffed and polished, and the stocks poorly refinished after an amateur attempt to recut the checkering.  Somebody spent a lot of time and effort to remove all of the bluing, but they failed to remove the bluing in the deeply stamped “TRAP GUN” marking on the bolt.

thumbnail_image0-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image0-2.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image0.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image1-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image1-2.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image2-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image2.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image3-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image3.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image4-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image4.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image5-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image5.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image6-1.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image6.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image7.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image8.jpgImage Enlargerthumbnail_image9.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
February 2, 2023 - 3:08 am

Well Thank you Bert. I can see it better now. It looked pretty good to me. I bought it more because I could and I liked it. Gonna be fun to shoot a few rounds of trap with it. I’m guessing the adjustable butt plate was added. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 2, 2023 - 3:14 am

Chris Scott said
Well Thank you Bert. I can see it better now. It looked pretty good to me. I bought it more because I could and I liked it. Gonna be fun to shoot a few rounds of trap with it. I’m guessing the adjustable butt plate was added. 

Yes, the Morgan adjustable butt plate is an aftermarket alteration.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
February 2, 2023 - 3:27 am

Chris Scott said

I agree, would be fun to shoot a few rounds with this old 1897!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
February 2, 2023 - 2:39 pm

Scott,

If it’s any consolation, most of the cost to refinish a firearm is in the polishing, so you should be able to find a smith willing to blue your ’97 relatively cheaply.  I’d definitely suggest getting a finish put on it because it’s very susceptible to rust in its current state. Mark 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6361
February 2, 2023 - 4:26 pm

Mark Douglas said
Scott,

If it’s any consolation, most of the cost to refinish a firearm is in the polishing, so you should be able to find a smith willing to blue your ’97 relatively cheaply.  I’d definitely suggest getting a finish put on it because it’s very susceptible to rust in its current state. Mark 

That’s true, but considering the sad condition of the stock, I’d question whether it would be worth the cost.  I saw a very expensive Italian shotgun left “in the white,” because it showed the full coverage engraving to better effect.  Rust is definitely a concern, but I think waxing it (after heating the steel) would prevent that problem at no additional cost. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, dimrod, deerhunter, Gary Ryan
Guest(s) 9
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248