Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1897 Brush Gun
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 239
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 3, 2019 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I picked up a Winchester 1897 Brush Gun.

26” barrel.

Cylinder choke.

Serial number  E 431066

The red book puts DOM at 1907 I believe. 

Nice wood grain.

I couldn’t find the survey but thought someone might like the info. 

http://i.imgur.com/ZZgHm4B.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/sXyivxM.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/OFkV4Cf.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/Bj4hsMB.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
February 3, 2019 - 8:13 pm

Joel,

Thanks for posting it… I have added it to the research survey.  You were off by one line in the Red Book… it is a late 1908 production gun, and an early “E” series.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 239
February 3, 2019 - 9:08 pm

Aha, thanks for sorting that out Bert!

Lee M
WACA Guest
February 21, 2023 - 3:08 am

Hello I’m not sure if this forum is still active but I just recently acquired a Winchester Model 1897 12ga shotgun. From my brief searching it appears to be a “brush gun” and possibly made sometime between 1911 and 1914. One serial number lookup website I found says it was made in 1914 but I’m not completely sure on those dates. 

The Serial # is E 520872 and the barrel length (measured from the receiver joint) is about 24 5/8 in.  The brush guns I saw should have a 26in barrel so not sure why this one is shorter (maybe custom made??)

Anyways, if you have any input on this gun it would be greatly appreciated.  I’m curious to know more about it. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2023 - 5:14 am

Lee M said
Hello I’m not sure if this forum is still active but I just recently acquired a Winchester Model 1897 12ga shotgun. From my brief searching it appears to be a “brush gun” and possibly made sometime between 1911 and 1914. One serial number lookup website I found says it was made in 1914 but I’m not completely sure on those dates. 

The Serial # is E 520872 and the barrel length (measured from the receiver joint) is about 24 5/8 in.  The brush guns I saw should have a 26in barrel so not sure why this one is shorter (maybe custom made??)

Anyways, if you have any input on this gun it would be greatly appreciated.  I’m curious to know more about it.  

Lee,

The correct way to measure the barrel length is to close the action on an empty chamber, then run a cleaning rod down the bore until it bottoms out on the bolt face.  Mark and then measure the rod where it exits the bore.

You did not mention what the choke marking on the barrel of your Model 1897 is… it should be marked “CYL” if it is a true Brush Gun.  Additionally, measure the LOP (Length Of Pull) of the butt stock.  The Brush Guns were made with a shorter LOP than the standard Model 1897 shotguns.

S/N 520872 was manufactured in March of 1911.

Bert

Lee M
WACA Guest
February 21, 2023 - 2:45 pm

Bert H. said

Lee M said

Lee,

The correct way to measure the barrel length is to close the action on an empty chamber, then run a cleaning rod down the bore until it bottoms out on the bolt face.  Mark and then measure the rod where it exits the bore.

You did not mention what the choke marking on the barrel of your Model 1897 is… it should be marked “CYL” if it is a true Brush Gun.  Additionally, measure the LOP (Length Of Pull) of the butt stock.  The Brush Guns were made with a shorter LOP than the standard Model 1897 shotguns.

S/N 520872 was manufactured in March of 1911.

Bert

Hi Bert, thanks for your quick reply. 

Yes I remeasured it and it’s a 26in barrel and it has CYL it also. The LOP is 14in. 

So this appears to be a true Brush gun and a treasure. Smile It’s also in very good working condition too, it just needs a little oiling. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2023 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Lee,

The LOP for the Brush Gun should be 13-1/2″ as measured from the center of the trigger to the center of the butt stock.  The LOP for a standard Model 1897 (Field grade) was 13-3/4″.

Is your Model 1897 a Solid frame or a Take Down?

Bert

Lee M
WACA Guest
February 21, 2023 - 6:47 pm

Bert H. said
Lee,

The LOP for the Brush Gun should be 13-1/2″ as measured from the center of the trigger to the center of the butt stock.  The LOP for a standard Model 1897 (Field grade) was 13-3/4″.

Is your Model 1897 a Solid frame or a Take Down?

Bert

Hi Bert, I took another more accurate measurement at the butt stock center and it’s 13-3/4 in.

Last time I was measuring closer towards bottom of the butt stock tip. Did they make standard models (Field grade as you mentioned) with the 26in barrel?

Also it doesn’t appear to be a take down model.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2023 - 7:11 pm

Lee,

It could be a Field grade gun with a special order 26-inch CYL bore barrel, or a Brush Gun with a special order standard LOP stock (I would call it the latter of the two options).

Can you send me pictures of the gun to include the factory markings on the barrel and slide bar assembly?

Bert – [email protected]

Lee M
WACA Guest
February 22, 2023 - 4:48 pm

Bert H. said
Lee,

It could be a Field grade gun with a special order 26-inch CYL bore barrel, or a Brush Gun with a special order standard LOP stock (I would call it the latter of the two options).

Can you send me pictures of the gun to include the factory markings on the barrel and slide bar assembly?

Bert – [email protected]

Ok sure Bert, I’ll take a couple of pics and send to you. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2353
twobit: 2306